Surrealistic Pillow Album in Mono

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Surrealistic Pillow Album in Mono

Postby RememberWhat theDarmaSays on Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:32 am

I was just wondering if anyone else had a copy of Surrealistic Pillow in Mono. I just purchased one from Sundazed Records on 180 gram vinyl, from the original analog masters. Let me just say that it is soooo awesome! :D It sounds far superior to my vintage, stereo copy from '67. I think my stereo copy sounds really tinny and steely, but the mono sounds so warm. I wonder if the stereo was just poorly produced or what. It is amazing the difference between the two. I just wondered what everyone else's opinion was.
~Remember What the Dormouse Says, Feed Your Head! Feed Your Head!~
RememberWhat theDarmaSays

Postby Liquid Crystal on Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:23 pm

I think there are a couple of reasons your new copy sounds superior - it's stamped on heavier, better grade vinyl, and it's not suffering from 38 years of wear and tear. :) My own (stereo) copy still sounds great, with smooth bass, clear vocals and crisp drums. So does "Jefferson Airplane Takes Off", although that was an Italian import when I bought it in the 70's, and may have been a better quality pressing.

-=LC=-
Liquid Crystal

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt- on Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:42 pm

They have reissued almost everything from the 60s, JA is no exception. The monolauge issue I think sounds better then stereo on thoes old records. Ive seen the copy you have and while its been remastered and is without pops and crackles of the original vinyl, I tend to stay away from reissues, since I think they lack the original idea of the album. To find an original copy of the record which is in decent shape and is 40 years old you might pay a bit more but it retains the original luster of when it was new in 1967.
Shadow_of_A_Doubt-

Postby psychhead on Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:43 pm

:D Makes me think of those 'ol 78 rpms!!
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions