Marty & Grace - Love/Hate

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Marty & Grace - Love/Hate

Postby QueenSlick on Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:52 pm

I'm a newbie to the world of the Airplane. I've long since been a fan of Grace Slick but now currently showing greater appreciation for the group as a whole, rather than just the 'face' and lead singer.
Reading bits here and there (I've just ordered the book Got a Revolution) it seems Marty resented Grace in the group (maybe I've read it wrong) because she took most of the attention away from the others, being the sole female. Though being a huge Gracie fan, I can see why. She was pretty mesmerizing in concert and her improv during Woodstock (Somebody To Love) blows my mind.

I think together, Marty and Grace were a strong double act, and I'd like to see more of their stage performances together (though it's hard to track down specific ones on youtube)

Hello by the way!
Strawberry Sheets Forever
QueenSlick

Re: Marty & Grace - Love/Hate

Postby QueenSlick on Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:42 pm

Hey there. thanks for the link. Look forward to jumping on this long flight! :D

QueenSlick

Postby psychy on Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:38 am

QueenSlick wrote:Hey there. thanks for the link. Look forward to jumping on this long flight! :D

Hi there....welcome to the most psychedelic Plane on the planet :):):),,,,,,,,,,,,,I don't see much "hate" in that photo you posted up there :):):)
Imageù
psychy

Postby QueenSlick on Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:09 am

Hi! Thanks.

Love your sig pic of Grace and China doing their thing. F**k Fear!
QueenSlick

Postby MilkTrain on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:11 pm

I think it was the media that focussed more on Grace Slick and that drew attention away from the rest of the band.If you listen to their music (overall)i dont think it sounds like she dominates.
As Grace once said "If you put 4 goats and 1 pig together,everyone is gonna look at the pig" The fact that she was absolutely stunning to look at probably didnt help, still, Marty Balin was pretty beautiful himself.
If Marty Balin resented the fact that she was there then that is pretty sad, I dont think they would have been so well regarded and remembered if they had never had Grace Slick as lead vocallist. I mean Grace looked great,had an attitude a mile wide, she wrote some of their most enduring songs and she had that one-off amazing voice. A hard package to compete with really.
MilkTrain

Postby QueenSlick on Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Personally I think a big part of him resented her. In the Monterey DVD, when he is singing Today, it focuses on Grace playing the piano. I think it's a brilliant video. On his own website, he does a rendition of White Rabbit that I never want to hear again.
QueenSlick

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:45 pm

QueenSlick wrote:Personally I think a big part of him resented her. In the Monterey DVD, when he is singing Today, it focuses on Grace playing the piano. I think it's a brilliant video. On his own website, he does a rendition of White Rabbit that I never want to hear again.

Hahaha! I heard his rendition of White Rabbit and it sure sucked! But Marty is my favourite member, he has a hell of a voice and it's amazing to hear him "fight" Grace onstage, each one trying to shout louder than the other and making the musicians rock harder. Maybe it was the fact that Grace was the one putting the airplane on the public eye with her hits that made Marty kind of jealous. The Jefferson Airplane female part was suposed to just sing backround vocals, just listen to the first JA album with Signe, she only gets one lead on Chauffeur Blues (and that's one hell of a lead, not even Grace could belt that way) and it was performed only twice live, once on september 1966 and the on Signe's last performance, and then when Grace walks in she's suddenly singing solos all the time and the people are there to listen to White Rabbit (on which Marty plays no part at all, not even the tambourine) or Someone To Love. There's a really harsh statement Marty made in the 70s where he said publicly "I wouldn't let Grace Slick blow me" or something like that...

Also, Paul has stated a number of times that Marty is a really hard person to work with, and I can see why, just imagine having your lead singer (marty) say he wouldn't let your wive blow him... it must have been kind of akward... and then Gracie wasn't a saint eighter, after Miracles became a top hit, she stated she felt like in a monkey suit singing a piece of shit or something like that 'cause she was all about rock and roll and not into ballads, like Marty was!
CookOfTheHouse

Postby QueenSlick on Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:18 pm

Marty said on Behind The Music "We would have meetings over who was gonna sleep with Grace"

My favorite Grace/Marty moment was at Monterey. Him singing Today with her coming in, during the second verse. She doesn't try and oversing him. She knows it is his song........ even if the cameraman at Monterey didn't realise this.

As for Grace belting out the hits... I havent anyone sing the end of Somebody To Love like she does.
QueenSlick

Postby QueenSlick on Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:14 pm

That made me chuckle.
QueenSlick

Postby QueenSlick on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:18 am

In my summing up of this relationship and having read two books about JA. I think Marty protests too much about not sleeping with Grace. His comments about her wanting him all along was classic. Did it ever occur to Marty that maybe Grace didn't want him? He really comes across as a bitter, whiny brat in the Got A Revolution book and his venom for Grace is nothing but pure jealousy. It's almost like it kills him to say anything good about her.

As for his assumption that Grace wanted him all along over anyone in the band... I don't buy it.
QueenSlick

Postby psychy on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:56 am

MilkTrain wrote:I think it was the media that focussed more on Grace Slick and that drew attention away from the rest of the band.If you listen to their music (overall)i dont think it sounds like she dominates.
As Grace once said "If you put 4 goats and 1 pig together,everyone is gonna look at the pig" The fact that she was absolutely stunning to look at probably didnt help, still, Marty Balin was pretty beautiful himself.
If Marty Balin resented the fact that she was there then that is pretty sad, I dont think they would have been so well regarded and remembered if they had never had Grace Slick as lead vocallist. I mean Grace looked great,had an attitude a mile wide, she wrote some of their most enduring songs and she had that one-off amazing voice. A hard package to compete with really.

Personally speaking, being a man who loves women, I could not but help look at Grace and her sweetness while see sang in JA. I too think that JA worked as a team on stage :):)
Imageù
psychy

Postby psychy on Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:59 am

QueenSlick wrote:In my summing up of this relationship and having read two books about JA. I think Marty protests too much about not sleeping with Grace. His comments about her wanting him all along was classic. Did it ever occur to Marty that maybe Grace didn't want him? He really comes across as a bitter, whiny brat in the Got A Revolution book and his venom for Grace is nothing but pure jealousy. It's almost like it kills him to say anything good about her.

As for his assumption that Grace wanted him all along over anyone in the band... I don't buy it.

I think if Grace really wanted Marty, she would have had him rapidoooooooo:):) :mrgreen: :evil: .......there is NO man alive who can resist the temptations of a woman esp of such a beautiful woman as Grace :):):)
Imageù
psychy

Postby psychy on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:01 am

There is almost no "border" between true love and pure hate.

The proverb says" there is a THIN line between love and hate":):):):)!! :evil: :evil:
Imageù
psychy

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:41 pm

psychy wrote:: .......there is NO man alive who can resist the temptations of a woman esp of such a beautiful woman as Grace :):):)

I agree, but then, Marty was no normal man, he was slightly authistic and had to struggle with it his entire life! Maybe that has also somehting to do with his attitude.
CookOfTheHouse

Postby QueenSlick on Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:38 pm

Why did Marty take the poster of Grace out of that casing on his video? He took out a poster of her and folded it and walked off with it.

Possibly to laminate it and jack off to later, who knows?
QueenSlick

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions