First cd Suggestions?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Get Volunteers First!!!!

Postby welfarecheese99 on Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:59 pm

Volunteers. Get Volunteers first. Its a playthrough album. Every song is great. After you get some of the other JA cd's and then listen to Volunteers, youll see what I mean. The others are also very good, but Volunteers was the peak of their writing (IMHO). Check out 'Eskimo Blue Day', and 'Turn My Life Down', they are beautiful. After Bathing at Baxters and Crown of Creation need to be listened to after you have acclimated yourself to JA's sound by checking out Volunteers and Pillow. Their Woodstock performance also kicked ass and is worth checking out. Just my 2 cents.
welfarecheese99

Postby Don Rico on Wed Jun 29, 2005 5:57 pm

I most certainly heartily agree with your VOLUNTEERS assessment...

Everybody else seems to think SURREALISTIC PILLOW is the cat's meow or the bees knees...

BUTT...

I say you cannot go wrong with CROWN OF CREATION!!!
Don Rico

Postby Guest on Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:18 pm

hey does neone have a tab for the live version of plastic fantastic lover :?:

Postby KharmaKreep on Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:47 am

If you can get your paws on "live at Monterey Pop Festival" you would not regret it.
Some songs on BIPLHead are loud as hell but if you were THERE!!!!!
Sound systems now would have made that sound more reasonable like it prolly did if you were there.
Buy bless it's pointed little head but be ready for all other bands you've heard to BOW to the greatness
Hendrix and Clapton showed up to watch that show and JA turned the tempo up for em'.

BY THE BY.....In a John Lee Hooker documentary....he volunteered his opinion that JORMA IS THE PUREST WHITE BLUES GUITAR PLAYER THERE IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HE IS MY IDLE
Hot tuna headlined with Allman Bros. opening
sorry.....i have been obsessed with JA and Hot Tuna since i can remember
If you only lived on earth....you'd never see the sun... or the promise of 1,000 other suns that glow beyond here.....and if you care to see the future...look into the eyes of your young dancing children don't be afraid of our ways!!
KharmaKreep

Postby freakmeout on Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:27 pm

I just turned my boyfriend onto the Airplane using The Essential. 8)
I'm thinking of giving him Baxter's next, since he likes prog. Baxter's is sort of progressive.
They are extremely uncomfortable with the idea that I am a teenage girl in the body of a 60 year old career criminal who has already died 16 times...
freakmeout

my first JA album

Postby the shrew on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:15 pm

the first JA album i got was "The best of Jefferson Airplane" and i love it...but i have heard it is an exact copy of one of their pre-existing albums...is this true?
Feed your head, feed your head!
the shrew

Postby Diane on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:45 pm

I think any of the 2 Fulton CD's would be a good starter (disc 1 if you like their earlier stuff/disc 2 if you prefer their later stuff).

I find for starters, compilations are better since they often include a lot of their more well known stuff. IMO albums are great for existing fans.

2400 Fulton Disc 2 was the first album I ever got 13 yrs ago and I'm hooked!
Diane

Postby FirstBassman on Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:59 pm

[color=darkblue]
Certainly by now everyone knows where I stand on this common question. I agree with ALSIN, for commercial releases: Bless Its Pointed Little Head. I will ask that it be buried with me so I can listen to it in the hereafter.

For traded live material, there are some Fillmore/Winterland shows around October and December of ’69 that are pretty close. *

[* They did some continent hopping in those days because they were in NYC in November of ’69.]

Also agree with KharmaKreep. JA’s Live at Monterey Pop is a must-have. And better yet, see the movie!

RE: "The Best of the Jefferson Airplaneâ€
FirstBassman

Postby Jon_G on Sat Feb 25, 2006 8:03 am

If anyone ever reissues the 2400 Fulton compilation as a CD I hope it's done as a large scale package since the double vinyl sleeve has a truly excellent collection of photos of both the JA and other freaks which just wouldn't work as a dinky lil' booklet - all too often CD packaging just doesn't live up to the music it contains
Jon_G

Postby Indian Summer on Mon May 01, 2006 10:16 am

Just bought my third Jefferson Airplane; Volunteers.
What a great album it is...
It's different from Surrealistic Pillow and After Bathing At Baxters.
'We Can Be Together' is a great tune...couldn't think of a better opener.
The rest of the album is also very solid and it is definetely one the better late 60s records.

I guess this also good album to introduce Jefferson Aiplane to a new audience...however, I started with Surrealistic Pillow.
I'm so excited that I will order the Jefferson Airplane Fly DVD as soon as possible.
Indian Summer

Postby psychhead on Mon May 01, 2006 10:38 am

:D 8) Volunteers...great album!!!!
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby Franklin'sTower on Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:18 am

I'd go with either:

Volunteers : Good Shepherd is great

or

Crown of Creation : Star Track is just fantastic
Franklin'sTower

Previous