Jefferson Airplane Concert Footage

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Jefferson Airplane Concert Footage

Postby Whenheco on Sat May 14, 2005 1:31 pm

Just curious which filmed concerts of JE are out there. I know of a lot of sound recordings, but haven't seen much JE concerts on film.
So far i know :
Monterey June 18th 1967
Woodstock August 17th 1969
Altamont Speedway December 6th 1969
Family Dog February 4th 1970
Kralingen Pop Festival, Rotterdam June 27th 1970

Some only feature a couple of songs. Would love to see an entire Jefferson Airplane concert from start to finish sometime 8)
Whenheco

Postby frankbird on Sat May 14, 2005 3:47 pm

Find the "Stompng Ground" DVD. Covers a big festival in your homeland back in the late 60's. (The Dutch "Woodstock" :wink: ) It includes two JA cuts plus a great interview with Grace and Paul.
frankbird

Postby Whenheco on Sun May 15, 2005 4:01 am

frankbird wrote:Find the "Stompng Ground" DVD. Covers a big festival in your homeland back in the late 60's. (The Dutch "Woodstock" :wink: ) It includes two JA cuts plus a great interview with Grace and Paul.

I've found the DVD of Stomping Ground (The 1970 Kralingen festival) at an online marketplace sometime ago, and placed a bid. Hope no one overbids me, so i can watch this thing 8)
So far all the concert footage i have seen only features some songs they did at that festival. Never saw an complete concert of Jefferson Airplane.
It's hard to believe that a populair band like JE doesn't have more filmed shows. Hope that the JE management has some more film in they're archives.
Whenheco

Postby Guest on Sun May 15, 2005 5:48 am

On this web site on the tour bus part, there is a video of JA playing The House at Pooneil Corners, its some footage of them playing live.

Postby Guest on Mon May 16, 2005 11:36 am

Agree, you'd think there would be a lot more film/video.

Jorma told me once that a film crew followed them around during an European tour once. Never knew what happened to that footage. Too bad.

- Mark

Postby Whenheco on Tue May 17, 2005 8:21 am

Anonymous wrote:Agree, you'd think there would be a lot more film/video.

Jorma told me once that a film crew followed them around during an European tour once. Never knew what happened to that footage. Too bad.

- Mark

You never know what lies waiting in archives. They're was a filmed show of Jimi Hendrix discovered recently. +35 years later, and still new material comes out once in a while.
Atleast my bid on the stomping grounds dvd paid off, and the guy will send me a copy (will see if i can post it here). Still waiting for another official JE dvd though 8)
The film clips on this site look great also, but if it's possible i would like to acuire them on dvd aswell.
Whenheco

Postby MARK on Tue May 17, 2005 11:20 am

Don't get your hopes up too much about Stomping Ground. The footage during JA songs is not them on stage but generic Festival "atmosphere" shots taken from helicopters and such. Think "San Francisco" at begininng of MPop and "Long Time Gone" at begininng of Woodstock. There might be one grainy song with them on stage. And as someone mentioned, there is a clip of an interview with Paul and Grace.

By the way, I'm logged in as myself but my last post (and probably this one) still say Anonymous. Sorry.

- Mark
MARK

Postby frankbird on Wed May 18, 2005 7:55 am

Two dark, not very good performance clips as I recall. Plus they looked cold and perhaps just a bit out of it. :wink: A singer from that era who watched the video with me attributed some of the roughness to poor onstage monitors and, given that, she felt the performance was impressive.

The DVD is worthwhile for the Slick/Kantner interview and peformances by a bunch of bands you only vaguely remember plus Pink Floyd and a KILLER performance by Santana.
frankbird

Stomping Ground

Postby Oude Drummer on Thu Jun 16, 2005 6:31 pm

Cold? The airplane played at daybreak! I think it was 6 in the morning! Unforgettable experience, shivering in your sleeping bag watching Jefferson Airplane when the sun comes up.
Oude Drummer

Postby MARK on Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:55 am

RE: The airplane played at daybreak! I think it was 6 in the morning!

Are you confusing JA's "Stemping Ground" performance with Woodstock?

The Airplane came on (at Woodstock) Sunday morning (after The Who). I forgot exactly what time but the sun was already over the horizon.
PS: It wasn't cold Sat. evening. I slept in the woods w/ just a T-shirt and shorts.

Or maybe JA did also play very early in the morning at the "K" festival.
Sorry, no idea.

- Mark
MARK

Stomping Ground

Postby Oude Drummer on Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:38 pm

"Stomping Ground" is the name of the movie about "Holland Pop Festival" next weekend exact 35 years ago in Rotterdam, Holland. Location Kralingse Bos, a big park with a lake. Some 100.000 visitors came to this 3 day festival and camped all over the wood. Many big acts of that time played at an incredible party. That was the first time the Dutch authorities turned an official blind eye to the use of cannabis. They decided in 1970 already they had more important things to do.
The bands started at noon and played till the next morning!
Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna played, T Rex, Canned Heat, Santana, Caravan, Soft Machine, Pink Floyd, Mungo Jerry (nobody had heard them before, but the public went crazy), The Byrds, Dr. John, Fotheringay, Fairport Convention, local bands and many I have forgotten.
The organization (thanks guys)went bankrupt and it has never been repeated, but to everybody that came it is still unforgettable.
Oude Drummer

Postby Whenheco on Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:27 pm

Saw the dvd now, and it's quite entertaining. Although they'res not much JE footage (2 songs, mostly with footage of naked hippies in the water.. :P )
Still worth to track down for any JE or late 60's music fan.
The canned heat footage was pretty good, and also enjoyed seeing It's a beautifull day. While i'm not a big Pink Floyd fan, the songs in the film were very good also.
I was planning on making the JE material availeble for download, but for some reason i can't get the dvd working on my pc (works fine in my standalone dvd player).
Whenheco

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:56 pm

:roll:
Last edited by Chasin'Destiny on Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chasin'Destiny

Postby JA on Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:57 pm

Wolfgang's Vault has nearly 5000 audio and 2300 audio/video tapes....hope for some good Airplane shows!!!
JA

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:45 am

Yeah ,but i would need a $-making-machine to
make some $...there is realy toooo much of the
good stuff there....
Chasin'Destiny

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions