Volunteers Quad mix

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Volunteers Quad mix

Postby GoAskAlice76 on Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:57 am

Has the Quad mix of this album ever surfaced on cd? I just heard the original album and it's excellent.
GoAskAlice76

Re: Volunteers Quad mix

Postby Egg Crisis on Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:50 pm

I'm not aware of the whole album being released on cd, but 4 tracks (Wooden Ships, Volunteers, We Can Be Together, Hey Frederick) from the quad mix are on the "Jefferson Airplane Loves You" box set.
Egg Crisis

Request: Volunteers Quad mix Dr Ebbetts cd

Postby GoAskAlice76 on Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:39 am

I just found out the Dr. did a rip of the Quad vinyl for cd. Does anyone here have it?
GoAskAlice76

Postby kamal on Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:34 pm

hi there

The "Volunteers"- Quad was well presented on Loves You boxet set. "We can be...","Volunteers" and "Hey Fredrick" are quite different, but the rest tracks doesn`t look much different.Off course the sound is better because it`s quad but the orginal tape of Volunteers was mastering similar to the way that quad versions sounds. There`s not much echos,not much space, more straight sound than for example on "Pillow". Mainly differents can be heard because it`s sounds just like live studio recording and You can listen each every instrument very clear. Voices are more in front.

But much more interesting is the quad version of "Worst Of.." collection. it`s nice to hear cleary this music. for example -if You`re a Jack`s bass playing fan, on quad versions You became a maniac!!!! Bas lines sounds exellent! You will love it.

I describe it shortly each by number.

"It`s not secret", "Blues From an Airplane","Embryonic Journey", "Chushinguna" "Plastic Fantastic Lover" are the same like on official CDs but sound is more clear, Signe voice is more hidden and less echo added.

"Somebody To Love" and "White Rabbit" sounds more cleary like in mono recordings, less echo but voices are more in front and You can hear Grace almost in one channel. The guitar riffs are very clear, You can find chords that on official version are hidden. I don`t like Grace in one ear and Marty mixed higher than Grace on Somebody To Love`s chorus because it`sounds a little flat.On "Pillow" You feel how this voice power surrounds You and takes You very high. But the instrumental part is definetly better.

"Today" sounds less dreamy than on official album and drums beat is much diffrent.The song starts with the drums and 2 guitars!!! Very nice mix, it`s sounds like a modern avanguard rock music!!! I really like it.

On "Martha" You can hear voices very clear and Grace is higher mixed and at the end Marty and Grace put some vocal sounds never heard before. Instrumental part is similar to the album version ,not to the single stuff.

"Ballad Of You And Me" starting with the rythm guitar chlords and Grace, Paul and Marty singing "Helo" and songs starts. Vocals and guitars are similar to the 1967 album version but voices are not lost in space like on "Baxter`s" but vibrating very clear. On official recording they`re are hidden and You can`t hear very well Grace scatting her arabesques. On the quad version You can be surprise how much psychedelic poetry it has !!! And the end is feedback that starts orginal cut.

"Crown Of Creation" sound very clear, not that fading, poor sound that we know from orginal LP. But without echos You can feel the dynamic shock when the song stops and the Trio declare - "In loyalty to their kind they cannot tolerate our minds".
If You know the cut from "Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour " in 1968 You can know how the quad version sounds.

On "Lather`s" one channel the piano is added! Very nice, smart circulating piano stuff but the "nose" solos are hidden in the mix. Grace sounds just like on "COC".

"Good Shephard' sounds much clearer and the choirs are more present (higer mix than on orginal release). In chorus You can hear some background vocal never heard before - I don`t know -it is Marty or someone else but it`s an nice small add. The rythm guitar has lower mix but Jorma is very loud.

"We Can Be Together" in quad version You already know , I hope.

I pray for RCA label having opportunity to realese those two quad Airplane pearls finally on CD. You`re gonna love it.
kamal

Postby GoAskAlice76 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:45 am

Thanks for the very detailed info on the WOJA album. Has that surfaced on cd yet among collectors?
GoAskAlice76

Postby GoAskAlice76 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:51 am

Just thought of something. I have a regular channel stereo set up. Would I be able to hear any difference with my current stereo?
GoAskAlice76

Postby rprest on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:28 am

Did the Quad mix of Worst Of come out on LP, or just on 8 Track?
rprest

Postby kamal on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:20 am

on LP
kamal

Postby kamal on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:26 am

rprest wrote:Did the Quad mix of Worst Of come out on LP, or just on 8 Track?

You can hear difference of this if YUou know orginal versions even if You have normal phones. And it comes much far thsn this poor sixties sound You know from "Crown Of Creation" LP
kamal

Postby kamal on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:27 am

oh sorry
I was replay for GoAsk..
kamal

Postby rprest on Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:31 am

kamal wrote:on LP

One to track down for sure!

Do you happen to have the catalogue number handy? I assume it had a different cat no. to the stereo issue?

Thanks !! :D
rprest

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions