The Last days of the Airplane by Barbata and Freiberg

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

The Last days of the Airplane by Barbata and Freiberg

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:40 am

This is an article I found on the Rolling Stone Magazine and it's pretty intresting to read!

The last years of the Airplane had been cold. "You could see Jorma come down on Paul behind his back," Barbata remembered. "Jack and Jorma stuck together, that old buddies thing."

"We were waiting for Jorma and Jack," Freiberg said of the time Paul, Grace and he did solo projects. "They kept saying, 'Sure we'll do another Airplane album. Just wait a couple months.' It dragged on for practically two years. On that last Airplane tour it became obvious there wasn't really an Airplane."

The outside projects were done in floating combinations of the three including even Grace's "solo" Manhole, which had one Freiberg song on which she never appears. At the same time they cranked out one last Airplane album, a dismal epitaph called Thirty Seconds over Winterland, that Freiberg called "a piece of manure but it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be." It was a frustrating period but the constant activity masked it for them. Looking back on it Grace recently said, "It was frustrating, but when I'm doing stuff I don't say, 'This sure is shit.' I can look back on it and, knowing what I feel now, the difference is appalling."
CookOfTheHouse

Re: The Last days of the Airplane by Barbata and Freiberg

Postby psychy on Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:17 pm

I think that happens to quite every band somewhere along the line......a little sad though for JA :cry:
Imageù
psychy

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions