Sunfighter

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Re: Sunfighter

Postby oldblue on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:07 pm

JoeD80 wrote:
CookOfTheHouse wrote:But I still have to say Kantner is the most dispensable one, redrabit, if we are talking about harmonies

Can't say that I agree on that. Paul does some of my favorite vocal work of the Airplane on songs like "In Time", "Crown of Creation", "Won't You Try", "Wooden Ships", and "Martha."

dispensable? remember what coleridge said: "but if the definition sought for be that of a legitimate poem, I answer, it must be one, the parts of which mutually support and explain each other; all in their proportion harmonizing with, and supporting the purpose and known influences of metrical arrangement."

the logic would seem to hold true of musical groups that achieve a perfect union of disparate parts as well. after all poetry is more than words on a page.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby PrayForPlagues on Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:33 pm

Does anybody know why it was dedicated to Marty?
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:37 pm

The album isn't dedicated to Marty, only the title song, Sunfighter is. It's written on the original LP notes, but it doesn't say why they dedicate it to him!
CookOfTheHouse

Postby PrayForPlagues on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:07 pm

Oh, gotcha. I have the LP but it didn't have the liner notes.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby MilkTrain on Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:27 am

I bought my copy of Sunfighter in a record store on Haight Street in 1988. I was 20 years old, flew for 20 hours from Brisbane in Australia and landed in SF, bus from the airport to Union Square then walked to Haight/Ashbury and stayed for a week. Was Fun!
MilkTrain

Previous

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions