Reunion. Why not?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Reunion. Why not?

Postby FrankD on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:38 am

Tonight I spent an hour on YouTube, watching videos of Marty that were uploaded within the last few weeks.

So sad to see him paging through scrapbooks and telling amazing stories (I especially loved the one about Comin' Back To Me), when so many millions of people would love to see a formal reunion... Has nobody in the band noticed the lineups the last few years at many venues, e.g. the Mountain Winery in Saratoga? Everyone from The Turtles to The Animals to the Beach Boys/Brian Wilson, Moody Blues, and on and on.

Has the idea even been tossed around?
FrankD

Re: Reunion. Why not?

Postby Steve on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:43 pm

They did it in 1989 & it did not go well. Several shows were cancelled due to lack of ticket sales & an entire tour to Japan was also cancelled- reason unknown to me. The 1989 album "Jefferson Airplane" was frankly very disappointing. The only songs I liked were Planes & a killer version of Jorma's tune Ice Age.

Grace is no longer interested in singing. Jorma & Jack have their own bands & Marty's not too into touring any more. Touring & travel is tough as you age & it seems like these guys are financially secure enough not to sell out just for nostalgia.

IMHO, of course. :D
Steve

Re: Reunion. Why not?

Postby JoeD80 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:39 pm

Actually, although the album didn't do particularly well, the 1989 American tour sold out many of their dates according to the Jefferson Airplane Got a Revolution biography. I imagine the egos were just getting in the way again for the Japan tour and that's why they canceled it. As Jack Casady said "it's like getting together with all of your ex-wives at the same time."
JoeD80

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions