what is your definition of psychedelic?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Re: what is your definition of psychedelic?

Postby oldblue on Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:35 am

Susan Butcher wrote:
Bad religious art has a greasy luminous quality not unlike pornographic art.




i sincerely hope this doesn't include my portrait of elvis on black velvet
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: what is your definition of psychedelic?

Postby redrabid on Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Well it depends: Do you think Elvis is God?
redrabid
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:31 pm

Re: what is your definition of psychedelic?

Postby oldblue on Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:40 pm

redrabid wrote:Well it depends: Do you think Elvis is God?


think?

everybody needs guidance what difference does it make if you get it from elvis.

life is strange and what if god were one of us, indeed. remember the king (even if he ain't dead.)

http://www.flixster.com/movie/finding-graceland
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: what is your definition of psychedelic?

Postby redrabid on Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:55 pm

What can I say other than that jacket is your belief's porn. Wear it with pride.
Last edited by redrabid on Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
redrabid
 
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:31 pm

Re: what is your definition of psychedelic?

Postby oldblue on Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:01 pm

redrabid wrote:What can I say other than that jacket is your belief's porn. Wear it with proud.


please define pornography. thanks


i will wear it with pride indeed.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: what is your definition of psychedelic?

Postby Susan Butcher on Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:11 pm

Look it up in your Funk and Wagnalls! Seriously, maybe pornography can be defined as writing or art intended as substitute for sex. If so, then religious art has a similar function as a substitute for religious experience.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
User avatar
Susan Butcher
 
Posts: 898
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:00 pm
Location: Victoria, Australia.

Re: what is your definition of psychedelic?

Postby oldblue on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:06 am

Susan Butcher wrote:Look it up in your Funk and Wagnalls! Seriously, maybe pornography can be defined as writing or art intended as substitute for sex. If so, then religious art has a similar function as a substitute for religious experience.



well you know i did just that but it didn't really help much because it's a word that's open to such interpretation, like that potter stewart guy said: I can't define it but i know it when i see it. so i really need to know what an individual is talking about when he or she refers to pornography (because i have a sneaking suspicion he or she may be talking more about obscenity than pornography). just like i would need you to define religious so that we can both be on the same wavelength when we discuss it and know just what it is both of us are talking about. you know what i'm talking about and i know what you're talking about. i don't like to assume anything.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: what is your definition of psychedelic?

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:15 am

Fair enough. "Obscenity" is a judgement. "Pornography" is a genre.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
User avatar
Susan Butcher
 
Posts: 898
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:00 pm
Location: Victoria, Australia.

Re: what is your definition of psychedelic?

Postby oldblue on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:14 am

Susan Butcher wrote:Fair enough. "Obscenity" is a judgement. "Pornography" is a genre.


well, i'm not so sure about that
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: what is your definition of psychedelic?

Postby okeedoe on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:25 pm

How do you define intelectual pornography or intellectual masturbation ?Intellectual pornography can be very seductive to quasi intellectuals because it brings a fast but alas only temporary relievement for a frustrated ego. What about obdurate, compulsive quasi intellectual pornographing and masturbation as an inadequate self-treatment of suppressded, non satisfied or wounded ego ?

Could we think of a quasi intellectualism as the arch mother of some of the poor genres and manifestations of pop culture?

Of course I'm not referring to anyone of you in particular.It was just an attempt of (quasi intellectual) thinking.
okeedoe
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:39 pm

Re: what is your definition of psychedelic?

Postby oldblue on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:34 pm

okeedoe wrote:How do you define intelectual pornography or intellectual masturbation ?Intellectual pornography can be very seductive to quasi intellectuals because it brings a fast but alas only temporary relievement for a frustrated ego. What about obdurate, compulsive quasi intellectual pornographing and masturbation as an inadequate self-treatment of suppressded, non satisfied or wounded ego ?

Could we think of a quasi intellectualism as the arch mother of some of the poor genres and manifestations of pop culture?

Of course I'm not referring to anyone of you in particular.It was just an attempt of (quasi intellectual) thinking.



great example of what it it you're criticizing
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: what is your definition of psychedelic?

Postby johnfbrowning on Mon Mar 01, 2010 2:05 pm

"Any music whose goal is transcendence or levitation to a higher plane". (This definition particularly puts Jorma into mind for me.)
johnfbrowning
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:47 pm

Previous

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 2 guests

cron