The JA Visual Icon

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Re: The JA Visual Icon

Postby plasticfantastic on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:52 pm

Well, I think it's a goal for a lot of people today. Change is the foundation of society, and it has to happen if we ever want to progress.

I think that reinstating a draft would be horrible. I do understand what you mean though-- a better way to say it is unity. The generation getting drafted in the 60s were being forced to stick together, and people nowadays don't have that pressure. What we need now is just unity. Something has to change so we'll be one voice. Even if it isn't many of us, we just need people to become one. Some sort of ANYTHING to keep us together instead of the scattered, isolated fragments of a community that we've become.

And I'm assuming that you let your freak flag fly?
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:15 pm

Another problem is, no offense to some of the old hippies on here who had kids, but the majority of them just dropped the hippie thing in the 1970s, got a job, had a kid, who grew up and had the kids who are so into Hannah Montana today, and they wont teach them better because they stopped listening to music when they turned 30 and became an "adult".Thus, why so many kids today are unaware of real music.Not saying they are all like that though, I know theres a lot of loyal hippies still out there.

Theres a lot more teenagers today who are Republican and support Iraq for some reason, mainly misguidance from their parents.But, I guarantee if a draft was re-instated and they knew they were being forced away from their American Idol to go to their death a thousand miles away, they would be thinking differently.So if a draft was re-instated, we would have a whole-scale hippie revolution thing again, it might even be bigger because it would be a second wave and tons of back up from way back who know how it works.Then, there has been a return in popularity of Vinyl records I noticed, and even interest in the 60s thing.I'm looking forward to the next 20 years.

Freaks is good.In my book, if its different, old or odd its cool, if its the "status quo cool" and like everything else, I hate it.So yes, I have my freak flag out proudly, next to an old Soviet flag.Yeah, I was a part of that for a short time.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby plasticfantastic on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:34 pm

Of course.... the draft being reinstated would involve the draft being reinstated, and that would be terrible.... Let's hope this pointless, unwinnable war won't get to the point where we'll have to worry about that, though. It's not really true to say that it would start the same thing as what happened in the 60s, because what happened depended on the circumstances being just right. The same thing will never happen twice in history. I know, history repeats itself, but never that exactly.

It's true that interest in the 60s, and in vinyl is growing. Could've been the Woodstock 40th... Then again, maybe you're right-- it really could mean that something new is starting... We need something new badly.

YOU FEEL LIKE... LETTING YOUR FREAK-FLAG FLYYYYYYYY!!!
AND YOU FEEEEL LIKE YOU OWE IT... TO SOMEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!!!

Sorry, impulsive David Crosby semi-quoting... Got the point across though, didn't it?
plasticfantastic

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:43 pm

I dont think it would be exactly the same, but there would be similarities.Today I was just think of things that are picking up, and how they would be in a few years.Pretty soon, it would be a kind-of "new 60s", but without the draft.With Obama there will never be a draft, but if a republican replaces him, god forbid...Sarah Palin(eek!), then yeah she might re-instate it.I can feel there will be change, we just cant sit back and let it happen.We gotta make it happen.

I tend to randomly short or say funny lyrics or song/album titles sometimes.Its all about not careing about your normal-ness.If everyone could do that this world would be closer to a better place.It all deffinitely gets the point across.

Every day I get on the bus that takes me to you...
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby babson on Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:26 am

EmbryonicRabbit68 wrote:I dont think it would be exactly the same, but there would be similarities.Today I was just think of things that are picking up, and how they would be in a few years.Pretty soon, it would be a kind-of "new 60s", but without the draft.With Obama there will never be a draft, but if a republican replaces him, god forbid...Sarah Palin(eek!), then yeah she might re-instate it.I can feel there will be change, we just cant sit back and let it happen.We gotta make it happen.

Every day I get on the bus that takes me to you...

Well if Palin ever got in there would be many WoodenShips the size of Noah's Arc, exiting this country.

I'm not convinced yet there will be no draft with Obama.

VietNam lessons - never automatically trust anyone in a position of power.

Know your rights - Someone in a position of authority will definitely try to tell you they are something different.

As far as the Revolution of Peace, I've said somewheres before, my feeling is that it'll happen again if it needs to.

It is sad that we needed a military draft and tens of thousands of dead bodies, to drive us to a Revolution of Peace, but that is/was? the reality of it.

BTW - if you and PF are as young as you say you are - you are some very wise youngsters.
Where have all the young men gone?
Long time ago
Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn?
babson

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:21 pm

I dont think Obama would do something like that, but thats true, dont trust those in power.At the moment a draft seems like what would motivate everyone, but that doesnt have to be everything.There are alot of things that could get people to take action, just the draft back then was the main protagonist towards the Revolution of Peace, and nothing else has gotten near that.Maybe if everyones television was taken away, perhaps?Thats what I hoped for when they went digital.

And yeah I'm 15, but my profile says 37 because I used an important date in Deep Purple history because *we are supposed to be 18*...
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby Susan Butcher on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:36 pm

Television is evil. (Particularly digital television, when the picture breaks up into little frozen chunks.) I have a friend who can't sleep unless the TV is on. Is that a pathetic addiction, or what?
Last edited by Susan Butcher on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:43 pm

I like how you think Susan.TV is evil, the frozen chunks thing(pixels) are weird and annoying.Can hardly get my mom away from the damn thing.Got over 120 records and cant listen to them because the stereo is in the living room :evil: .
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby Susan Butcher on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:44 pm

Get yourself a good pair of headphones. That's how I solved that problem.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:53 pm

Yeah I usually end up listening to stuff on my computer with headphones.We live in an RV though(we are road people), and the set-up is quite awkward, so its just easier to just torrent everything I got on vinyl.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby plasticfantastic on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:00 pm

babson wrote:Know your rights - Someone in a position of authority will definitely try to tell you they are something different.

As far as the Revolution of Peace, I've said somewheres before, my feeling is that it'll happen again if it needs to.

It is sad that we needed a military draft and tens of thousands of dead bodies, to drive us to a Revolution of Peace, but that is/was? the reality of it.

BTW - if you and PF are as young as you say you are - you are some very wise youngsters.

Of course, people in authority often try to undermine the people they're trying to lead. I think that's definitely true. It is ultimately VERY important to know your rights, because if you know them, it'll be one step harder to take them away from you.

I do certainly understand your sentiment (that it'll happen if it needs to), but I really feel like it does! A revolution needs to come from the people, and I just feel like the people who need change are not in a good enough position to ask for it. If only we were...

In a strange way, I do think that a draft and dead bodies were needed for the revolution of peace. As I said before, it was those circumstances, and that particular war, and that particular president that made it happen, as well as, of course, those thousands who made it happen. It would never have gelled without them.

And yes, I am exactly the age I've said before, fourteen.
plasticfantastic

Postby babson on Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:19 am

plasticfantastic wrote:
I do certainly understand your sentiment (that it'll happen if it needs to), but I really feel like it does! A revolution needs to come from the people, and I just feel like the people who need change are not in a good enough position to ask for it. If only we were...

It's just that I feel that the revolution of peace was a "happening" more or less, meaning that it wasn't organized or planned. It was something bigger than all of us, and I don't know that mere humans can make that sort of thing happen again. Sorta like Love itself.

I hope I'm wrong!

And the last lesson from VietNam - If you're going to go to hell - go for a good reason.

The mass hypnosis with peace signs and long hair, caused a lot of domestic disturbance all over the country. They seem like small things, but families were splitting and fragmenting over this strange Peace. I was kicked out of my house in '68 for refusing to cut my hair.

And Maybe Joplin was right on when she sang,

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Long time ago
babson

Postby babson on Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:22 pm

EmbryonicRabbit68 wrote:Another problem is, no offense to some of the old hippies on here who had kids, but the majority of them just dropped the hippie thing in the 1970s, got a job, had a kid, who grew up and had the kids who are so into Hannah Montana today, and they wont teach them better because they stopped listening to music when they turned 30 and became an "adult".Thus, why so many kids today are unaware of real music.Not saying they are all like that though, I know theres a lot of loyal hippies still out there.

My son is 32 and he hates Britney and Hannah. Him and his crowd have their own music and won't listen to and are not interested in anything from the 60s. Several of his friends are in bands, and he goes to the clubs they are playing at. One band is called "Hate Fist", and not sure of the other but it is more mellow stuff, and sounds very similar to the airplane. Plus none of them joined the military, but did the harder thing and made it on their own.

Ah! The other band is called Iris i.
Last edited by babson on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long time ago
babson

Postby babson on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:05 pm

Both TV and money are evil, BUT

Money can buy you your freedom.

TV can become the medium that the next Revolution of Peace will use to go worldwide.
Long time ago
babson

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:59 pm

Yeah, its easy to say money and all that is evil, but sooner or later you have to accept that theres nothing you can do about it, except for what you do with it!

I hope you atleast tried to get your son into JA.Probably the generation problem, most people only stick to whats within their generation.I never found interest in anything in my generation, just disgust.

The issue with changing our future is there needs to be a figure head.Look at what there was in the 1960s, theres none of that today.Even the bands spoke out back then, nowadays you occasionally find a good band that is political, but most of them just do it for fun anymore.I just feel theres so much falling apart right now it wont be long until someone stands up and says something.If it falls apart and theres no-one doing it, I'll do it.Sounds silly, but thats what the 60s were about and how they happened.I've got nothing to look forward to so why not!
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions