The JA Visual Icon

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Re: The JA Visual Icon

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:53 am

I don't think of lightshows as "theatrical' because in the good old days the projectors used to be played like instruments, with the oil and dye being pushed around in sync with the dancers.

As an example of how not to photograph Jefferson Airplane, has anyone seen that cover of Life where they're stuck in perspex cubes?
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby babson on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:57 am

Excellent point of view Redrabrid. The basic strobe replaced the rotating color wheel, and psychedelic backlighting was born.

I try to stick things in I can remember from back then. I think it helps
to understand the music by understanding the environment the audience was living in, thus what the songs meant to them. Things were mellow in '67, violence in the streets stepped up in '68 along with LSD use, and in '69 the draft and LSD use was at it's peak, and males were being eaten up by the draft like candy.

By the time of Woodstock, 1969, it was still draft the oldest man first. They had gone through all the 25, 24 ,23, 22, 21 and 20 years olds and were drafting the 19 years olds of which I was one. So the draft was really at it's peak by the time of Woodstock. That had something to do with the large turnout at the festival and the million or so that got turned away when they closed the New York State Freeway.

In December '69 the draft lottery went into efffect. I don't know if this was already set to happen, or whether it was retaliation for Woodstock - divide and conquer. Then the Kent State massacre on May 4th 1970. Not to be confused with Woodstock this was a confrontational demonstration against the undeclared war, not an arts and music exposition.

from the wiki;
President Nixon was elected in 1968 and had criticized the draft in his campaign. The first draft lottery drawing since World War II was held 1 December 1969; it determined the order for conscription into the Army for men born between January 1, 1944 and December 31, 1950. Reinstating the lottery changed the existing procedure of "draft the oldest man first."

The draft ended on July 1, 1973.
The lottery drawing held February 2, 1972, determined the order in which men born in 1953 were called to report for induction into the military.
This lottery was conducted for men who would have been called in 1973; however, no new draft orders were issued after 1972.

You can see the almost exact parallel of the VietNam draft to the breakup of JA.

So the Hippie culture was like a safe bubble bobbing around in an erupting volcano.

I thought of the shaved pubes nowadays, but was too shy to mention it. I wonder if Woodstock gets credit for that to. It's an advancement in freedom I guess.
Where have all the young men gone?
Long time ago
Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn?
babson

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:15 pm

Didnt know JA had an actual light show, just thought they had the backdrop with the color projections.Again, a reason we need one of their classic shows on DVD.

That is an interesting look on the end of the draft and the closeness to the end of JA.May 1970 is when I estimate Grace got pregnant, February 1972 is when Long John Silver commenced recording, and 1973 was the completely inactive cross-over year from Airplane to Starship.Its quite interesting.Yet, from the mid 1960s to late 1980s they did kinda captured what was going on in American subculture and music at any time, so it fits.

And seriously, pubic hair talk.This has to be the most open forum for a band I have ever been on.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:55 pm

Shaving body hair is... can't even think of a word for it. It's worse than using lipstick. Let it grow!
Susan Butcher

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:22 pm

Susan Butcher wrote:I don't think of lightshows as "theatrical' because in the good old days the projectors used to be played like instruments, with the oil and dye being pushed around in sync with the dancers.

Oh yeah, the German technique was the absolute greatest. My godfather was all around San Francisco during the late sixties-early 70s, and says that the light shows were always amazing.

Susan Butcher wrote:As an example of how not to photograph Jefferson Airplane, has anyone seen that cover of Life where they're stuck in perspex cubes?

Ha ha, yeah... What a weird photo... It's on the cover of Jeff Tamarkin's book. Really struck me as an odd choice.

redrabid wrote:Whether the boys in the band are pretty is a bit like girl's talk, isn't it?
As a painter I am more interested in beauty carried by personality. And personalities, well, the Airplane had lots of them. Marty Balin chose his bandmembers not only for their capabilities but also for their personality and looks (see early interviews with Marty). For me, Spencer Dryden had a frail, gaunt beauty and I always thought that he looked very cool wearing that cowboy hat.

Oh yeah, total girl's talk. I just brought it up in my point that that the looks of the band members were not the visual focus of the band, but the band together. Marty Balin did choose many of The Airplane's members for... unconventional reasons... Skip Spence for one-- Marty thought he looked like a drummer, so he went over and asked him to be a drummer. Even though he was a guitarist. And I don't know for certain, but it seems to me that Paul Kantner was hired because he DIDN'T play that night at The Drinking GOurd. Prettty weird. And by the way, I love Spencer's cowboy hat too.

And I have no comments on the pubic hair discussion. Only that this is becoming a very odd thread.
Last edited by plasticfantastic on Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:47 pm

I really like the Beat Club effects they introduced in 1969, I seem to be one of the few people that did though.We must be thankful though, the Beat-Club seems to be the only music show from the 60s and 70s that didnt delete ANY of its archives, and has everything out on DVD.I heard something about JA being on in 1971, would absolutely love to see footage of that era.Probably just a Monterey re-airing, that was done alot on European TV.

The band really doesnt have to look good.Frankly, thats what killed talent in the 1980s.Now, if you aint pretty, you dont have a chance.

That was always the funniest reason to hire someone I have ever heard about though, because he LOOKED like a drummer.Thats great.Thank god Grace was in there though, somehow I feel they wouldnt have gotten as far.

Weirdness is greatness!And frankly, I stopped cutting any of my hair years ago.Im a pair of bell-bottoms away from living in 1972.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby plasticfantastic on Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:55 pm

EmbryonicRabbit68 wrote:Weirdness is greatness!And frankly, I stopped cutting any of my hair years ago.Im a pair of bell-bottoms away from living in 1972.

Hmmm... me too. I even have a fringed leather jacket and red Lennon sunglasses. That's really more late 60s than 1972, isn't it? Babson will surely have to help me with this one...
plasticfantastic

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:03 pm

Im sure it was around the same 1968-1973 time period.People really ended the hippie thing around 1974.I consider psychedelic rock over in 1973.

Ive always wanted some rose-tinted sunglasses, but the ones with the mirrors on the outside.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby babson on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:58 am

plasticfantastic wrote:
EmbryonicRabbit68 wrote:Weirdness is greatness!And frankly, I stopped cutting any of my hair years ago.Im a pair of bell-bottoms away from living in 1972.

Hmmm... me too. I even have a fringed leather jacket and red Lennon sunglasses. That's really more late 60s than 1972, isn't it? Babson will surely have to help me with this one...

Sure PF, I'm happy to help and still waiting for your Joplin youtube posts.

I think they still wear those Lennon? glasses today. Didn't know they were Lennon specific. But you have good insight, as they did seem to be more popular in the early hippie days. Later the larger aviator sunglasses became the prized possession.

People wore all kinds of clothes. You see bell-bottoms on girls today, but you can't call them that, they are flares. What I don't see, are any males today wearing the BBs.

I had a fringed leather coat, which were more late sixties, early 70s. I had dressed up my button fly bell-bottoms with headbands sewed in around the cuffs, and american flag pockets sewn on from an American flag. For the final touch, drop a tab and get out the bleach. Didn't go the hat route, but an ocassional headband.

My belt was from a Hippie Leather shop, along with ankle high leather shoes with a 2 ring strap to "tie them?" on the outside of the shoe. They had no soles, just the thick leather bottoms.

And, of course, sometimes I wore nothing at all, depending on the occasion. Awful lot of nude events and skinny dipping became the norm in those days.

I was wearing this stuff when I met my wife, except my long hair was gone because of the military. She hated my fringed coat and bleached bell-bottoms. Go figure!

And if you mean by "any of your hair", you mean armpit hair too, I never met a girl who didn't shave her pits.

'72 was a good pick. If you were a male you wouldn't have been drafted. Personally I like 68-69 the best, probably because I was in the military form 69 to 72. Was hard for me in 72, because no one was getting drafted anymore, and, even though I was still alive, I was still in the military and had lost 3 years of my life. 73 to 75 were great for me though, imagine Woodstock for 3 years instead of 3 days. Finally! Long hair again. But violence was creeping back into the streets by then, slowly.

Psychedelic rock may have been over in 73, but we still listened to it where I was. I also remember Humble Pie, the grateful dead, steve miller band, mothers of invention, Savoy Brown and their Hellbound Train and some more from the '73 and on period, so I don't think it was completely over, but on it's way out.

I don't think anyone ever stopped listening to the Doors and Janis Joplin, or the Rolling Stones, or Dylan.
Last edited by babson on Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Long time ago
babson

Postby babson on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:54 am

Then there were the Universities and Colleges. From '68 to '72 they were a battle zone. Demonstrations, armbands, admin building takes overs, news crews. I think most of the anti-war students were relieved to have the colleges return to Normal around '73. It had been really challenging to get an education. Lot's of insanity and unrest.
Long time ago
babson

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:29 pm

PF, when you say the "German technique", do you mean the one where you push a clock glass around on an overhead projector? That's the one I meant. I've seen films of this, but the only light shows I've been at used moving patterned slides.

"The hippie thing" didn't start in a big way in Australia until 1973! That's when Nimbin got colonised, our Haight-Ashbury moment if you like. There's still an active psychedelic scene on the North Coast, where DMT is very popular.
Susan Butcher

Postby plasticfantastic on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:35 am

Susan Butcher wrote:PF, when you say the "German technique", do you mean the one where you push a clock glass around on an overhead projector? That's the one I meant.

Yeah, that's the one I was referring to. I believe that's what it's called, officially. Believe, that is-- I'm not totally sure.

Susan Butcher wrote:"The hippie thing" didn't start in a big way in Australia until 1973! That's when Nimbin got colonised, our Haight-Ashbury moment if you like. There's still an active psychedelic scene on the North Coast, where DMT is very popular.

Wow, really? I didn't know that! Very cool.... I'll just have to go there when I get to Australia... although I'd rather not do the DMT thing, thanks.

babson wrote:]

Sure PF, I'm happy to help and still waiting for your Joplin youtube posts.

Me too... I just recorded "Hesitation Blues" tonight, and it'll hopefully be post-able tomorrow. Youtube seems to have a vendetta against my audio files though, so it maaay be a while. I really hope not...

I think they still wear those Lennon? glasses today. Didn't know they were Lennon specific. But you have good insight, as they did seem to be more popular in the early hippie days. Later the larger aviator sunglasses became the prized possession.

Well, they aren't called Lennon glasses, per se, but I think he was the first one to popularize them, just because they were his actual reading glasses. I mean, I wasn't there, but that's what I've always heard. At the very least, I grew up calling them Lennon glasses. What did you guys call them?

I had a fringed leather coat, which were more late sixties, early 70s. I had dressed up my button fly bell-bottoms with headbands sewed in around the cuffs, and american flag pockets sewn on from an American flag. For the final touch, drop a tab and get out the bleach. Didn't go the hat route, but an ocassional headband.

WOW! Cool... I have a courderoy jacket wth an American flag/Peace sign patch sewn in it. And an army surplus jacket, which I have completely covered with patches and pins. Whenever I wear it, some random person in the street tells me that I look like someone they went to high school with. It neeeever fails... Of course, I'm always flattered.

babson wrote:]Psychedelic rock may have been over in 73, but we still listened to it where I was. I also remember Humble Pie, the grateful dead, steve miller band, mothers of invention, Savoy Brown and their Hellbound Train and some more from the '73 and on period, so I don't think it was completely over, but on it's way out.

I don't think anyone ever stopped listening to the Doors and Janis Joplin, or the Rolling Stones, or Dylan.

So true. The music from the 60s has surpassed the generational gap, and stayed surprisingly prevalent in this dark, dark age of Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus-es.
plasticfantastic

Postby babson on Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:26 am

plasticfantastic wrote:

Well, they aren't called Lennon glasses, per se, but I think he was the first one to popularize them, just because they were his actual reading glasses. I mean, I wasn't there, but that's what I've always heard. At the very least, I grew up calling them Lennon glasses. What did you guys call them?

Tripping glasses? I can't remember. They just made you part of the revolution of peace while you wore them, even in a suite and tie or evening gown. Mass hypnosis sorta like the swastika Hitler used, only we used peace signs, long hair and bell-bottoms, beads and tripping glasses? Ya know what, I think it worked. The draft and war ended about the same time. Everywheres the warmongers looked they saw peace signs and men that looked like Jesus. Talk about a guilty conscience! Trouble is those things take several years to work, but they are much faster than the US political system. Nixon wanted another 10 years of VietNam.

plasticfantastic wrote:WOW! Cool... I have a courderoy jacket wth an American flag/Peace sign patch sewn in it. And an army surplus jacket, which I have completely covered with patches and pins. Whenever I wear it, some random person in the street tells me that I look like someone they went to high school with. It neeeever fails... Of course, I'm always flattered.

I wore the heavy winter Army surplus jacket all of '68. End of '69 got more into the fringed leather.

plasticfantastic wrote:So true. The music from the 60s has surpassed the generational gap, and stayed surprisingly prevalent in this dark, dark age of Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus-es.

There is no music like it, before or since, although I think another period like that is needed today. These so called rebelious youths were all driven by a senseless war and military draft to fuel the revolution of peace , getting more desperate and urgent with each passing year, as the dead bodies kept piling up.
Long time ago
babson

Postby babson on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:13 pm

the year was 1970

Tonkin Gulf resolution

Tonkin Gulf resolution, in U.S. history, Congressional resolution passed in 1964 that authorized military action in Southeast Asia. On Aug. 4, 1964, North Vietnamese torpedo boats in the Gulf of Tonkin were alleged to have attacked without provocation U.S. destroyers that were reporting intelligence information to South Vietnam. President Lyndon B. Johnson and his advisers decided upon immediate air attacks on North Vietnam in retaliation; he also asked Congress for a mandate for future military action. On Aug. 7, Congress passed a resolution drafted by the administration authorizing all necessary measures to repel attacks against U.S. forces and all steps necessary for the defense of U.S. allies in Southeast Asia. Although there was disagreement in Congress over the precise meaning of the Tonkin Gulf resolution, Presidents Johnson and Richard M. Nixon used it to justify later military action in Southeast Asia. The measure was repealed by Congress in 1970. Retired Vietnamese general Vo Nguyen Giap, in a 1995 meeting with former Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara, categorically denied that the North Vietnamese had attacked the U.S. destroyers on Aug. 4, 1964, and in 2001 it was revealed that President Johnson, in a taped conversation with McNamara several weeks after passage of the resolution, had expressed doubt that the attack ever occurred.

see the news for the year

_1965_ ( http://www.infoplease.com/year/1965.html )
_1966_ ( http://www.infoplease.com/year/1966.html )
_1967_ ( http://www.infoplease.com/year/1967.html )
_1968_ ( http://www.infoplease.com/year/1968.html )
_1969_ ( http://www.infoplease.com/year/1969.html )
_1970_ ( http://www.infoplease.com/year/1970.html )
_1971_ ( http://www.infoplease.com/year/1971.html )
_1972_ ( http://www.infoplease.com/year/1972.html )
_1973_ ( http://www.infoplease.com/year/1973.html )
_1974_ ( http://www.infoplease.com/year/1974.html )
_1975_ ( http://www.infoplease.com/year/1975.html )
Long time ago
babson

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:17 pm

My life goal is to try somehow to bring music back to what it was, even risk my life if I have to.Thing is, alot of the music back then came from the Vietnam war and the draft.Today, we have Iraq, but no draft, and thats why nobody takes action.A draft would be horrible and in two years I would be eligible to be drafted, but if the draft was re-instated people would stand up and do something about it, and not for music but for the country as a whole, which needs a revolution as much if not more than in the 1960s.The 2000s were a horrible decade, the 2010s have to be different.If nothing changes, I dont know what.And if it *does* end in 2012, then what has anything amounted to?Are we just gonna sit here and take it from the man and destroy our planet in the meantime, do we really wanna take that??I know I dont!My blood boils thinking about it!

And today I thought about cutting my hair to shoulder length.First time scissors touched my hair since I was 12, its almost surreal.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions