The Jefferson Airplane Video Archive Topic!

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Re: The Jefferson Airplane Video Archive Topic!

Postby TakeMeOnYourFlight on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:56 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ertelrFZ4sU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-G8LucE ... re=related

Panda and Wooden Ships from Grace Slick's appearance on Graham Nash's talkshow The Ring.
"I know it's hard to defend an unpopular policy once in a while." - Zappa
TakeMeOnYourFlight

Postby Adrian678 on Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:10 am

Hi john it seems that you miss-en out your lyrics,Lol
But thanks for this links I really loved it.

howtodealwithdepression.org
Adrian678

Postby tontonfranck on Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:50 pm

i'm so happy to see John Cippolina here!!!

Jorma and Cippo are my true guitar stars of this era!!!
Excuse my english...
tontonfranck

Postby redrabid on Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:54 pm

Before the official JA reunion tour in 1989 there was a concert in 1988 where Kaukonen and Casady played with Kantner: 03/04/88 in San Francisco. On YouTube you can find videos of two songs of this "Hot Tuna/ Starship Reunion": "Wooden Ships" and "Chelsea". With a guest singer. Guess who.
redrabid

Postby Egg Crisis on Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:49 am

Wolfgangs vault started adding video!

Jefferson Airplane - Fillmore East, 28 Nov 1970 (color)
http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/jefferson-airplane/video/

Jefferson Starship - Winterland, 8 Nov 1975 (b&w)
http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/jefferson-starship/video/
(Unfortunately the last song only lasts 1 second and it's supposed to be 7 minutes. Maybe they'll re-upload it later.)
Egg Crisis

Postby TakeMeOnYourFlight on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:58 am

From Marty Balin's vault:

Wooden Ships rehearsal with David Crosby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb3z1wiOaTE
TakeMeOnYourFlight

Postby redrabid on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:13 pm

Oh god, I wish that I hadn't found this one:
Jefferson Airplane - Wooden Ships (Fillmore East)
It was always rumored that the Fillmore filmed their shows. Well, here is one from 1970.
Don't listen to it. It is absolutely terrible. This is bad, very, very bad. It is the worst performance of JA I have ever seen on the net, even worse than the 1970 Rotterdam Kralingen show. The vocals are ridiculous. At first I thought it was a parody by an unknown group maskerading as JA. But no, it is JA. Marty shows that he had already left the group, his vocals in the beginning are mocking Grace's. Marty (a deadringer for Charles Manson here, with his full beard) has obviously no respect anymore for his former friends. His performance and body language are telling. He is obnoxiously ridiculing JA. Grace seems to have lost her voice, she is trying to cope with the melody and she is failing disastrously. She is unrecognizable as the glorious singer from before 1969. Paul, never a strong singer, is gasping for air (yup, cocaine), he has lost any ability to sing.
The other musicians are locked up in their own world. If you want to see what speed does for music, watch Casady and Kaukonen here, very untogether, plodding on in turtle-like tempo's, insenstitive to the song's emotions. Kaukonen should be highly embarrassed by his playing, he is a lousy guitarist here. Covington is trying to hammer some coherence into the song. To no avail, he just shows that his playing doesn't match the others'. Sacking Spencer Dryden was a big mistake.
If you want to know why Jefferson Airplane is despised by so many critics, here is the answer.
I find it painful to watch this video. Sad, so very sad.
Spencer was sacked partly because he was nagging too much (criticizing the others for their negligence, their over-indulgent attitude while playing), Marty left because of his disgust for the cocained music the others were into.
Spencer and Marty were both right.
After 1969 the Airplane was dead.
redrabid

Postby redrabid on Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:21 pm

Actually, this is not about a new video, but consider this post a addition to my previous one.
To restore my faith (I am a religious man, don't you think O.) I listened to the recordings of the show Jefferson Airplane gave at the Concertgebouw Amsterdam 15th september 1968. I had a bootleg of this show once, but it is missing in my collection now. Salvation was near, when I found out that almost the complete show (JA played a relativily short set) had been uploaded on YouTube (Thank you Steveuk17.). The sound of the recording is not excellent but good enough to show the Airplane in truly excellent form, as reputedly JA was in all of the shows of the 1968 European tour. Both Grace and Marty were in dazzling form, the show had a lot of those magical moments were their voices seem to merge into one. My favorite song of this show is the rarely performed "If You Feel". Grace joins Marty in the second part of the song. Extasy! All musicians were sharp in this show, though Jorma almost ruined a near perfect "Crown" by loosing his way in his solo.
I found my faith again, I heard the sounds of Heaven. I shall be a true believer from now on. I'll never doubt again, I promise.
By the way, Mr. Bill Thompson, if all those shows were truly so outstanding, wouldn't it be a good idea to release an album of JA in Europe? I noticed that the release of the Woodstock Experience did the reputation of JA a lot of good. So let's finish the job and convince the critics: JA was one of the best bands of the 60s.
Okay, okay, not allways.

PS. I get the impression that there were two shows on the same day in Amsterdam. At some point Marty asked: "Is this a new audience, right here? You missed Jim Morrison's dance. You should have came the first show."
Fenton's "Circus Tent" doesn't mention it, but there seems to be no other explanation for what Marty said (and Grace, more vaguely just before Marty) after Paul's introduction of "Plastic Fantastic Lover".
redrabid

Postby Egg Crisis on Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:54 pm

redrabid wrote:Fenton's "Circus Tent" doesn't mention it, but there seems to be no other explanation for what Marty said (and Grace, more vaguely just before Marty) after Paul's introduction of "Plastic Fantastic Lover".

It's a good book, but Fenton presented certain things as fact when they were only based on available recordings, see his entry on Woodstock for example (where the proper setlist wasn't known until the full version was released.) That sort of info is by it's very nature a constantly evolving thing whenever new recordings emerge, a shame there's not a JA wiki as that's the ideal medium for listing setlists and what recordings exist.
Egg Crisis

Postby TakeMeOnYourFlight on Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:37 am

Just found this, Grace on the Joan Rivers show, 1990; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7cZIF13L98
TakeMeOnYourFlight

Postby redrabid on Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:08 pm

Jefferson Airplane "Volunteers" (1996) Live at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Without Grace but with Spencer Dryden. Great blistering performance.
redrabid

Postby Ensign on Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:27 pm

I have wanted to see Go Ride The Music for a long time. When I saw the links on this thread I jumped right to them. But alas, they were taken down from youtube. So was the one of Grace on the Joan Rivers show.
Ensign

Postby JoeD80 on Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:06 pm

You should be able to find the "Go Ride the Music" DVD on amazon.
JoeD80

Postby redrabid on Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:23 pm

I got lost in the painting I am working on, so I googled "Jefferson Airplane reunion tour" and got some surprising results:
Jefferson Airplane Reunion "Tobacco Road", "High Flying Bird", "It's No Secret" proves to be not so much a JA reunion (no Kaukonen, no Casady, no Slick of course and, interestingly, also no Kantner) but Marty Balin and band with guests: Original bass player Bob Harvey and (how satisfying) Signe Toly Anderson.
But also a video came up "Jefferson Airplane Reunion Tour part 1" of the 1989 concert RCMH New York, with a small part of "Funny Cars", a large part of "Somebody To Love" and "Won't You Try". The sound quality isn't very good, but still I want to see part 2 and 3 and 4...
redrabid

Postby redrabid on Wed May 08, 2013 8:34 am

A miracle. I saw a miracle:
Kaukonen playing "White Rabbit". On Jamaica, probably thinking that he wouldn't get caught there.
Yes, Hot Tuna played "White Rabbit". Google Hot Tuna White Rabbit Jamaica Breezes Negril 7-3-13 to witness this.
Teresa Williams does the vocals and Hot Tuna is sounding more like the Airplane than we ever could have dreamed.
redrabid

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions