Wonder Of Winterland

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Wonder Of Winterland

Postby davesixties on Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:22 am

Has anyone come across a good review for 30 Seconds Over Winterland, the band's 1973 live album?
Most of the words written about this under-rated work seem to be very negative.
Personally, I like it.
Crown Of Creation and When The Earth Moves Again particularly stand out.
OK, maybe some of the intensity of earlier years was lacking a tad, but, hey, what you hear is a well lot better than what you get on lots of other live albums from that era.
Anyway, that's my view and I'm sticking by it.
It ain't no 30 second wonder, but for for all time!
davesixties

Re: Wonder Of Winterland

Postby SuperSlick66 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:49 am

I think it's great too. I'm glad to have the chance to listen to it whenever. Great work JA :wink:
ImageImage
There was a time when all the people in the village would come out just to smile.
SuperSlick66

Postby PrayForPlagues on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:45 pm

Yeah, I enjoyed it as well. I enjoy all periods of the band's work. It did take a while for me to get into BARK and Long John Silver, and I really don't think they are that bad. Long John Silver is definitely better and less convoluted than BARK, but Bark's not that bad either. It has good songs, and Jorma is really great everywhere on it.
I really wish there was more to hear of the LJS and 30 Seconds period by the band- I've yet to find any boots of live shows post-1970 (if anyone has any, let me know!) and 30 Seconds and Last Flight are both good and fascinating to me. The bands sound at that time was definitely different than, say, 1967, but it had evolved into something that I find just as enjoyable.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:51 pm

At a store nearby me, the vinyl of 30 Seconds. I've thought of buying it many times but never got around to it yet, lol.

And I think a lot of their underrated work comes from the post-Volunteers era. Even Bathing at Baxter's and Crown of Creation, too. I think all incarnations of this band is interesting to observe and listen to. It really says a lot about the band and where each of them were in terms of growth. :)
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby SuperSlick66 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:51 pm

You're lucky you can find albums of theirs so nicely. I haven't found a single JA record from my record store. But I do have 3 JS albums but I really wish they sold some Airplane. :/
ImageImage
There was a time when all the people in the village would come out just to smile.
SuperSlick66

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:57 pm

You should try looking in the paper to see if anyone is selling old records. I looked in the classifieds of my paper recently and someone was selling over 300 albums and that they have an available list of the titles to e-mail. So check that out, you never know when you may stumble upon a gold mine. :)
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby oldblue on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:35 pm

too much cocaine by then making for too harsh and stiff of a sound. no flow to it anymore.

the airplane needed marty the way the allman brothers need dickey betts.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." — George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)
oldblue

Postby SuperSlick66 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:32 pm

thanks for the tip PsychedelicRabbit. I'll be sure to check out the papers. :o
ImageImage
SuperSlick66

Postby PrayForPlagues on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:19 pm

Yeah, 30 Seconds is at my local record store too- I bought Bark, LJS, Crown, Volunteers and Blows yesterday because they had all of them in good condition (3 bucks each!) but I didn't have enough money for 30 Seconds.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby SuperSlick66 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:22 pm

OMG!!! You are TOO LUCKY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
i'm a bit jealous... :oops:
ImageImage
SuperSlick66

Postby PrayForPlagues on Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:00 pm

Yeah, I was really happy to find them!

Back on topic though, I like 'Last Flight' a lot more than 30 Seconds. the sound quality does really suck in comparison, but I just thought the performances were a bit better.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby Susan Butcher on Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:08 am

There was a good review of "30 Seconds" on Head Heritage a couple of years back.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby PrayForPlagues on Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:44 pm

What do you guys think about David Freiberg though? I really don't like his vocals. On Last Flight he does okay on 'Wooden Ships' and 'Blind John', but his voice just really irritates the hell out of me on 'Twilight Double Leader' and 'Volunteers'.
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Postby CookOfTheHouse on Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:26 pm

PrayForPlagues wrote:What do you guys think about David Freiberg though? I really don't like his vocals. On Last Flight he does okay on 'Wooden Ships' and 'Blind John', but his voice just really irritates the hell out of me on 'Twilight Double Leader' and 'Volunteers'.

I think he does great! It sounds different withouth Marty but it doesn't mean it's bad... What do you mean Freiberg's vocals on Volunteers?? Are we still talking about 30 Seconds Over Winterland?? I think you must mean on The Last flight, but that version doesn't include Freiberg, it's actually Balin joining the band for an encore! I heard David singing lead vocals on Caroline with Jefferson Starship and that really sucked but then, I've never heard a GREAT performance by JS..!
CookOfTheHouse

Postby PrayForPlagues on Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:45 pm

Well, I have to say I do really like his work on 'Baron von Tollbooth' A LOT more than I used to, but I still don't care for his late-period JA live performances.
I'm talking about the version of Volunteers that segues out of 'Diana'. Definitely Freiberg- but I know there is one with Marty as well, but I don't have that one :p
David is actually a really powerful, incredible vocalist. Perhaps JS just wasn't the proper outlet back then- nowadays though, his stuff with JS really rocks.
Check out this version of Harp tree Lament (with a weird bagpipe intro nonetheless)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-WMC7B4UFA
ta tvam asi
PrayForPlagues

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions