Bodacious DF and Grootna

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Bodacious DF and Grootna

Postby Matt Wilson on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:08 pm

I've got all the Airplane related LPs (CDs, actually) from '66-73 except for Marty's Bodacious DF album and the Grootna LP he produced. I don't even think I've heard one track from either of these. I notice amazon has them both for decent prices. Should I take the plunge? Can anyone vouch for these?

I understand the Bodacious DF CD has some sound issues.
Matt Wilson

Re: Bodacious DF and Grootna

Postby FirstBassman on Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:35 pm

For historical completeness, yes.

Do I listen to either album now? No.

Though Marty's album has some decent stuff on it.
FirstBassman

Postby EmbryonicRabbit68 on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:33 pm

What are Bodacious DF like?Are they anything like Martys material for JA, or is it completely differant.Those last songs he was doing for them like Emergency, You Wear Your Dresses to Short and Up or Down were really good, i LOVE Up or Down.I havnt seen the album anywhere though, and tried getting it off the net and NO ONEs posted it, so i would like to know what its like so i can decide if i wanna buy it.

PS: I got hooked on the "What If" JA albums, and i got no material for Marty '71-'73, and Bodacious DF would really help.Atleast if someone could post Emergency and You Wear Your Dresses to Short.
Hide, Witch, Hide!
The Good Folks come to Burn Thee
Their Keen Enjoyment hid Behind
The Gothic Mask of Duty!
EmbryonicRabbit68

Postby JoeD80 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:53 pm

If you find the Red Octopus remaster with the added live tracks there's Jefferson Starship performing one of the Bodacious DF songs on there "Drivin' Me Crazy." Also the songs "Cruisin'" and "With Your Love" on the Spitfire album were co-written by Bodacious DF members and Jefferson Starship performed "The Witcher" on tour as well. If you like those songs you'll probably like the album.
JoeD80

Postby guy hastings on Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:10 am

The drums aren't particularly well recorded (guess he made his kit out of packing cases) but I really enjoy Bodacious. I reckon they must have been a cracking bar band when on form and The Witcher is as good as anything on Red Octopus. In fact, it's a pretty fine piece of work - not a classic but as good as anything that Kantner/Slick and Hot Tuna were knocking out at the time.
guy hastings

Postby Matt Wilson on Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:04 pm

I finally picked up the Bodacious DF CD. It's not bad, almost as good as Bark or Long John Silver (which are the two weakest JA albums) when you think about it. It's good to hear Marty sing lead on every song (which he never did on an Airplane LP). I probably like the first cut the best but none of them are bad.
Matt Wilson

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions