Any More Airplane Remasters?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Any More Airplane Remasters?

Postby Matt Wilson on Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:38 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post so I'll start with what I'm sure is a tired topic for most, but are there going to be any more Jefferson Airplane CD remasters? The last one they did was Kanter's Blows Against the Empire from 1970. I'd love a spit-and-polish of Bark, Sunfighter (with all the original artwork, please), Long John Silver, Thirty Seconds Over Winterland & Baron Von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun.

The older remasters of those titles sound fine but the recent(ish) remasters of the '66-'70 CDs sound so much better.

Any news?
Matt Wilson

Re: Any More Airplane Remasters?

Postby Matt Wilson on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:33 pm

Thanks, I wasn't holding my breath for any new reissues but thought I'd ask anyway.

Hey, Chasin Destiny, I've got another question for you: Do you know what year Grace's Manhole was released? Was it '73 or '74? I even emailed Jeff Tamarkin with this question and he said he thought it was '74 but sounded unsure.
Matt Wilson

Postby JoeD80 on Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:05 pm

According to the US copyright office, it was registered for copyright in 1973 but was published January 1974, so that's why the confusion over which year it was in. Same thing with Hot Tuna's Phosphorescent Rat.
JoeD80

Postby TakeMeOnYourFlight on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:42 pm

There has been another recent Jefferson Airplane reiussue, of Thirty Seconds Over Winterland. Here's some details;

http://www.imwan.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=50610
"I know it's hard to defend an unpopular policy once in a while." - Zappa
TakeMeOnYourFlight

Postby JoeD80 on Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:03 pm

Just to point out, this is a fan made reissue, not an official RCA reissue. I have not listend to it, but on the other board (the Jefferson Starship one) it was described to me as having Jack's bass turned down to the point it sounds like a "tinny kazoo", so I am not sure this would be a great investment unless you don't have a copy of the album.
JoeD80

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions