Weirdest Jefferson Airplane Song

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Re: Weirdest Jefferson Airplane Song

Postby jimmie ray on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:30 am

PsychedelicRabbit wrote:Most annoying? I don't really know, I LOVE Lather, but that annoy baby-ish sounding noise towards the end of the song kind of prevents me from fully enjoying the song. I love listening to it, but when the end comes on I just change the song, pretty much. Other than that, none of them really annoy me.

"Lather" is embarrassing, and has no musical quality to it. It can only be enjoyed as a goof, in solitude.
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby jimmie ray on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:34 am

Lilla wrote:"The House at Pooneils Corner" annoying me sometimes.. :|

You have to realize the acheivement of this assemblage of musicians pulling off a song from a different genre, actually still in it's infancy.
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby redrabid on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:44 pm

Of course those sound effects are far too obvious, but those silly sounds don't spoil the song for me. I like "Lather" a lot, especially the repentive lyrics, so different from the "I told you so" songs Grace Slick would write later. The song reminds me of her compositions for the Great Society.
Embarrassing? Why? I don't understand that.
redrabid

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:21 pm

"Lather" is OK. I like it because it sounds like Grace imitating Mickey Dolenz imitating Grace. That's how I think of it anyway.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby usedtobebabson on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:53 am

jimmie ray wrote:
PsychedelicRabbit wrote:Most annoying? I don't really know, I LOVE Lather, but that annoy baby-ish sounding noise towards the end of the song kind of prevents me from fully enjoying the song. I love listening to it, but when the end comes on I just change the song, pretty much. Other than that, none of them really annoy me.

"Lather" is embarrassing, and has no musical quality to it. It can only be enjoyed as a goof, in solitude.

We apologize for Lather. You are right. It cuts too deep into reality, but it was necessary to do so back then. You see, many of us were counter-culture, but some of us knew what they wanted. So while we were still tripping and pursuing the end of of a unjust war by means of a peaceful counter-culture, many about the age of 25, WERE, bank presidents and fighter pilots and Captains, making big bucks for the time. Lather was the wake up call, to make sure we knew what we were giving up. So the price we paid was that there were MANY late bloomers back in those days. Some folks didn't get or finish their educations for 10 years or more.
Where have all the young men gone? Long time passing
Where have all the young men gone? Long time ago
Where have all the young men gone? Gone for soldiers every one
When will they ever learn? When will they ever learn?
usedtobebabson

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:54 am

Lather is a good song. I like the lyrics and her singing. But the music used sounds so different, and I don't care for it too much. But as a song, I like that it sounds different from something you'd usually get from Grace. But I think it's my least favorite. Even then, I still listen to it. :)

And come to think of it, House At Pooneil Corners isn't one of my favorites either, lol.
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby usedtobebabson on Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:47 am

Lather is really one of those songs where you just hadda be there to appreciate it!
usedtobebabson

Postby redrabid on Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:31 pm

I disagree. "Lather" is a song about someone living his life according his own rules, disregarding the expectations of society. And about how we all take part in trying to persuade him to "behave".
In these times of mindstaggering conformism, especially among most youngsters, the lyrics are still valid. In 60s parlance, the song is not about "them', it is about "us".
And Grace sings this song in her beautiful low voice, avoiding the histrionics she couldn't resist when using her high voice. Just lovely. An underrated Slick classic, even amond JA fans it seems.
redrabid

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:55 pm

Lather is about Spencer Dryden turning 30. People 30+ weren't trusted back then. Plus, it's a comment on how once you're a certain age, you can't act childlike. You have to "grow up". But she's mentioned many times that he was very childlike, even after he turned 30.

I like the song Lather. I like the lyrics, her singing, the whole thing. But I don't care for the music used for the song. You know, like the guitars and drums and whatever. That's what I mean.
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby Susan Butcher on Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:02 am

It's just slightly too cutesy sounding. But I like the sentiment. Saint Paul once said, "When I became a man, I put away childish things." What a miserable wanker!
Susan Butcher

Postby okeedoe on Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:18 am

All true men are a bit childlike but not childish.Wankers are childish.Old Paul knew what was he talking about,Susie doozie.
okeedoe

Postby usedtobebabson on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:44 am

Whatsa Wanker?!?
usedtobebabson

Postby plasticfantastic on Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:14 pm

I dunno, apparently I'm in the minority here, but I like Lather... It's a weird song, but I like weird songs just fine. Far from the classic Airplane sound, or even just the Airplane sound at the time, but I have no problem with that.

PsychedelicRabbit is right, the song is abut Spencer turning 30. I doubt much meaning can be gleaned other than that, the end of childhood, and the beginning of expectations for heightened maturity.
Trouble in mind, lord I'm blue
But I won't be blue always
The sun's gonna shine in my door,
Shine in my back door someday
plasticfantastic

Location: Sunny California, not San Francisco though. If only...

Postby redrabid on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Nice to see that there are more supporters of "Lather". But actually, rhe song may have been inspired by Spencer Dryden, it is not "about" him. Creativity is not as linear as that. Some lines in the song refer to Jack Casady's experiences after having taken a new drug. He ended up in jail when the police caught him, down and out, naked on the beach. In Gleason's book "JA and the SF Sound" the song is referred to as being about "Jack in his mudpuddle".
redrabid

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:53 pm

Just backing up a bit here, I think there may be an age limit on childlike behaviour, in the sense that it's much less cute when you hit 30, and might actually seem like senility once you're 60. But as an adult you are free to think in a childlike way if you are able. Being able to see this dull old world as new and wonderful, for example. (Or frightening, perhaps, but not endlessly boring.)
Susan Butcher

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions