Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Re: About Grace...

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:20 am

Rabbit, have you read anything about transpersonal psychology? I think you may find it less ignorant regarding the potential of the mind than mainstream psychology. I'm not a psychologist myself, but for a while I was seeing a very capable therapist who was a student of Stan Grof.
It's easy to think of "mental illness" as a label that doctors slap on people who think differently from them, but the fact is this difference can cause terrible isolation. It's really hard to bridge that gap, and I admire those who have the ability to do it.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby okeedoe on Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:53 am

Last edited by okeedoe on Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
okeedoe

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:44 pm

Susan Butcher wrote:Rabbit, have you read anything about transpersonal psychology? I think you may find it less ignorant regarding the potential of the mind than mainstream psychology. I'm not a psychologist myself, but for a while I was seeing a very capable therapist who was a student of Stan Grof.
It's easy to think of "mental illness" as a label that doctors slap on people who think differently from them, but the fact is this difference can cause terrible isolation. It's really hard to bridge that gap, and I admire those who have the ability to do it.

But what if that particular person is happy with how things are for them? Why is it that we label those people "mentally ill", when in reality they might be happier than we'll ever be. Why is it that doctors and others have to force their lifestyle onto the shoulders of those they consider "mentally ill"? Or ANYONE for that matter? If people are happy, I say let them be. We might consider them mentally ill, but they're happy - so who cares? If they aren't happy with it and want a change, then I think most of them *not all* would go out to seek help. If they don't seek help, then I can definitely see a loved one/family member doing it for them.
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:49 pm

If someone's happy with the way they are, fine. They don't need their mind changing. My point was difference can be isolating, and understanding is needed.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:15 pm

A lot of understanding is needed, yes.
But as someone who was isolated from her peers in Middle School, I know that by understanding and loving a person, also involves just being there for them as a friend. Not as a psychologist. I was isolated not by choice, but by not being understood...by not having someone give me their time as a friend.

I understand your point, though. :)
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Previous

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions