If there was another reunion....

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

If there was another reunion....

Postby plastictramp on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:18 pm

If for some odd reason everyone who was still alive and kicking agreed to another reunion(and I don't think Grace would) would you honestly want to go see them? The last one resulted in quite possibly the worst album ever. I'm not sure if I'd still respect Airplane as much as I do now if they were to reunite for "one last tour!", Cher-style.

Opinions?
Somebody has probably already asked this, but I'm curious.
Not shy of a spark,
A knife twists at the thought that I should fall short of the mark,
Frightened by the bite though its no harsher than the bark,
Middle of adventure, such a perfect place to start
plastictramp

Re: If there was another reunion....

Postby Susan Butcher on Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:46 am

One-off reunions rarely produce good records. I think a band like JA would need to play together for quite a while to get up to speed, and that's not on the cards, is it?
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby graceslick on Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:07 am

I don't think there should ever be a JA reunion at all.

I feel that it's best for that to all remain in the past. Even though of course I'd have absolutely LOVED to have seen them live and for there to be info and stuff about them around nowadays, it's just not gonna happen, and if it did, it'd be like how they tried to re-create Woodstock this year or last year or whenever it was they did it. It sucked. I mean, it probably DIDN'T actually suck for anyone who went and had a good time, but to me, that's just stupid and pointless. Those sorts of amazing experiences don't NEED to be dragged on and re-done and brought back and all that.

I WISH I'd been around in the 60s and 70s to see JA and JS at the time they were great and up with the times. Now? It'd just be sad. (not that THEY'RE sad at all. Of course not. But to me, I don't want to see them NOW. I want to see them THEN, and that's impossible.)

I sort of think of it like...if a band from long ago does new stuff...and if you hear it and wouldn't like it or listen to it if you'd never heard of this band before, then you know...it's not for you. But if they do this new stuff and you love this band from years ago, well...you're clinging to something that's just not there anymore. Or not the same anyway. Move on and respect the band, people and the music for what they were when they were fantastic.
graceslick

Postby okeedoe on Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:01 am

Last edited by okeedoe on Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
okeedoe

Postby Steve on Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:41 pm

The 89 reunion album kinda sucked, but there were a lot of hot shows on that tour.
Steve

Postby Dormouse on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:39 pm

I would if I could talk with the band, or just tell them thanks for their music. I don't know if I would go just to hear them though. It isn't the sixties anymore!
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby LatherPCL on Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:09 pm

I guess I'm one of the few that actually liked the "Jefferson Airplane" reunion CD back in 1989. It didn't suck. Possibly it did suck if you were expecting a recreation of "Surrealistic Pillow" or "Volunteers", but as others have pointed out, "It isn't the 60s anymore" To me, their album was great, because it wasn't an attempt to reacreate the 60s. It was "Jefferson Airplane Grown-Up". It was like welcoming an old friend. I thought "The Wheel", "Solidarity", and "Freedom" were the best. But as for the topic, if there was another reunion, I would go the concert and buy the CD, simply because I think the younger generation needs to be taught what true music artistry sounds like and I don't think today's music has the same creativity of Jefferson Airplane's era. Should a reunion happen again for Jefferson Airplane? Yes and No. Will it happen? I shook my magic 8 ball and it said "Try again later". Based on Grace Slick's auto-biography, "Somebody To Love", it is highly unlikely due to Grace Slick's retirement and distaste for performing the same old songs over and over again. I did hear that she made a guest appearance on the new Jefferson Starship CD, but I think she enjoys her retirement too much and I've seen enough of her paintings to know that she has found something she enjoys and is good at. I'm happy enough to buy the original LPs on CD and if I want to hear JA in concert, there are enough live CDs to satisfy me, but yes, I would go if I had the opportunity.
LatherPCL

Postby graceslick on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:18 am

Just a bit off topic...was the song, "The Wheel" ever used in a world wildlife or some sort of charity thing on TV years ago when it was first out? When I first heard it on CD last year, I recognised it from when I was a lot younger...but that could just be my brain playing tricks on itself again, heheh.

I like some of the songs on the JA Reunion album too, don't get me wrong. But even that was 1989. It's now 2009! *scary*
graceslick

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:18 am

Try asking your Magic Eightball "Are you always right?" :wink:
Susan Butcher

Postby okeedoe on Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:40 pm

Last edited by okeedoe on Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:09 am, edited 6 times in total.
okeedoe

Postby okeedoe on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:15 pm

Last edited by okeedoe on Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
okeedoe

Postby LatherPCL on Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:01 pm

Susan Butcher wrote:Try asking your Magic Eightball "Are you always right?" :wink:

I would, but I don't fully trust my 8 Ball all the time. It once predicted that John Cleese would become King Of England and that Eric Idle would become Prime Minister. Heh, heh! I wish for another reunion and I have learned from Stephen King and Tina Turner anouncing their retirement prematurely that anything is possible. As Sean Connery's comeback Bond film said "Never Say Never Again", so who knows? It's encouraging that Grace Slick did guest star on the latest Jefferson Starship CD. Maybe my 8 Ball will say "Outlook Good" for a JA reunion next time.
LatherPCL

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:45 am

We often say that we don't get enough visitors! Our garden's too steep for camping, but we have a friend with a rundown farm who has the space and could do with a helping hand.

I know some people in California thought about escaping to Australia when things got nasty. After all, it's as far West as you can go without having to learn a new language. A old friend of ours has parents who were refugees from Haight-Ashbury.
Susan Butcher

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions