those 4 mystery titles

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

those 4 mystery titles

Postby oldmanflint on Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:28 am

Hello everyone, I have an Airplane question that has remained unanswered for years.
4 tracks have appeared on various (unauthorized) compilations of Jefferson Airplane
material over the past 30 years. These are not general bootlegs, per se, usually they
appear on imports and once even on a cassette produced in Hendersonville, Tennessee!
But not on any RCA release that I've seen. Most recently they have shown up on Rhapsody
Rock Masters. The titles are "You're So Loose", "What You're Asking", "Ride", &
"Would You Love Me". When the tracks are credited, sometimes they list Airplane members
but just as often list writers names unknown to me or no writer credit at all. All the tracks
are studio recordings, upbeat rockers, sonically resembling something from the mid-70's
but that's just a guess on my part. There is not a female vocal. The front male vocal is
definitely not Marty. I've listened repeatedly, trying to hear something in the harmony vocal, guitar or bass that could be Airplane members, but I don't hear it. If anyone's familiar with
these tracks and how they ended up being credited to JA, I'd love to know. (If you google
"You're So Loose", Jefferson Airplane appears in the first three listings!) Thanks. Peace.
oldmanflint

Re: those 4 mystery titles

Postby a ghost on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:42 pm

Those four tracks are by some European....?..Dutch,or Belgian.... group called the Steel Riders.....(or something like that)
a ghost

Postby psychhead on Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:42 pm

I knew about those 4 tracks, but I didn't know all the rest.....interesting thing to look into. :D
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby oldmanflint on Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:26 am

Hello all, Thanks for the information. I really appreciate the Wikipedia link, but I have to disagree with their listing. I'm afraid they were just going by the bogus information supplied on some of the import compilations. Occasionally those discs will credit the tracks (Spencer/Balin/Kaukonen). Obviously in their attempt to position these as JA tracks, the writer has confused Skip Spence with Spencer Dryden. I'm still positive Skip Spence, Marty and Jorma are nowhere on these tracks. The best comparison I can come up with is a bad Humble Pie imitator with ME on guitar (and that's no compliment). Or The New York Rock Ensemble when they were in grade school. But I do now have a name to put with these tracks. Has anyone ever asked Marty or Jorma about this? I've never seen mention of Steel Riders in any of the histories or books, even Skip's.

The YouTube link was much appreciated. I missed that video when it was new. The final shot
of Jorma was a grand pay off. Cheers.
oldmanflint

Postby psychhead on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:46 pm

but I have to disagree with their listing. I'm afraid they were just going by the bogus information supplied on some of the import compilations

I noticed that too. 8)
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby oldmanflint on Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:15 pm

What a great bunch of folks. I can't express my gratitude enough for of your efforts to put this little sniggling in my brain to rest.

Yes, I've noticed this problem for a couple other classic bands also. (Slightly different, but remember when Fleetwood Mac's manager sent out an entirely different band on the road in the mid 70's?)

Anyway, it nice to chat with you all. This is the first forum I've joined, but at my advanced age I intend to participate when I can. Whenever we have a chance to visit San Francisco, our first route
after renting a car is right down Fulton St to glance at the mansion before heading to lunch at the Beach Chalet brewpub. The Airplane was certainly a steady soundtrack to much of my life and it's sure nice to share with other members of the choir.

Cheers to all, OMF
oldmanflint

Postby Steve on Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:06 pm

Don't remember the name, but there was a JA boot floating around for a long time with a live performance from 66 with someone, perhaps the bootlegger, overdubbing his own guitar solos on the songs. :mrgreen:
Steve

Postby DonRico1967 on Sat Oct 11, 2008 7:55 pm

Wow...

I have wondered about these so-called "JEFFERSON AIRPLANE", but yet very clearly NOT JA tracks, found on numerous "budget-buy" compilations for YEARS.

NOW at last, someone has really shed some light.

The songs themselves are NOT bad... But they ain't no JEFFERSONS, either!!!

THANK YOU
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby DonRico1967 on Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:00 pm

"Steel Riders"???

They ain't no STEELWIND (Jack Traylor, Craig Chaquico et al)...

Ain't even no STEEL BREEZE (1982 one-hit wonders) either...

Was STEEL RIDERS a REAL "group", or just a cover-band / lame imitation?

I never even knew about THE YARDBIRDS rip-off.

WHO would perform such TRAVESTIES of original GREATNESS???

Fucking CAPITALIST PIGS.
DonRico1967

Postby oldmanflint on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:00 pm

Yer all lovely. Thanks so much C-D (hope that's an acceptable nickname) for contacting
Dave and reaching right to the source for confirmation. The craziest thing about
these tracks are they don't just appear on bootlegs. In fact, every time I've seen them they've appeared on seemingly legit (though unauthorized) European releases. 3 are currently for sale on Amazon, AOL Music, Barnes & Noble & CD Warehouse under a variety of different titles. Arguably bootlegs in that the artists get screwed, but sold through high profile "legit" houses. The CD
I own was bought at the Rock 'n Roll Hall Of Fame giftshop, sealed. It is amazing to just google these tracks and see how many "sources" think they are legit. Ah well, it just goes to show, don't it? I'm sure no one in the Steel Riders will come forward with their own explanation, but I'm
thrilled we have once and for all where the tracks didn't come from. Thanks to all. OMF
oldmanflint

Postby DonRico1967 on Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:53 pm

Damn!!!

I have wondered, without ANY answer, as to the origin of these CLEARLY NON-JEFFERSON-tracks for YEARS... I have seen them appear on NUMEROUS dodgy non-RCA/BMG "compilations" ever since I first delved into the realm of JA as a young lad.

Even as I write, I own a so-called "JEFFERSON AIRPLANE 'BEST OF'" CD which was found at my local drug-store in their little CD bin.

Yes it DOES contain SIX actual JA tracks, some of which are listed as "live" even though they are CLEARLY the studio versions...

And not only but also, years ago, I once owned a CASSETTE called "HIGH FLYING BIRD" which consisted of Side A actual early JA tracks, but Side B was pure SHITE that even at my then-young age, I KNEW were not JEFFERSONS in ANY form.

They kinda reminded me of that somewhat-psychedelic, mediocre 1960's band THE PEANUT BUTTER CONSPIRACY.

The titles are:

"Don't Slip Away"
"You're So Loose" (!?!?!?! :shock: )
"Would You Love Me"
"What You're Askin' "

I mean, the songs are not BAD...
But they are NOT GREAT, either...

... And they CERTAINLY are NOT ANY kind of JEFFERSONS!!!

At least NOW we are like Hardy Boys / Nancy Drew detectives...
WE are ON THE CASE!!!

STEEL RIDERS huh???

More like "STEAL" Riders I say...
DonRico1967

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions