Two Heads

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Two Heads

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:09 pm

I was listening to this song today, and I was wondering if anyone knew what it is talking about? Is there a certain meaning behind the song at all? I know that a lot of JA songs do have a meaning, but I can't figure out this one for the life of me.

You want two heads on you body
And you've got two mirrors in your hand.
Priests are made of brick with gold crosses on a stick
and your nose is too small for this land.
Inside your head is your town
inside your room your jail
inside your mouth the elephants trunk and booze,
the only key to your bail

Want two heads on your body
and you've got two mirrors in your hand

Two heads can be put together.
And you can fill both your feet with sand.
Noone will know you've gutted your mind
but what will you do with your bloody hands?
Your lions are fighting with chairs,
your arms are incredibly fat;
Your women are tired of dying alive
if you've had any women at that.

Wearing your comb like an ax in your head
Listening for signs of life;
Children are sucking on stone and lead
And chasing their hoops with a knife;
New breasts and jewels for the girl,
Keep them polished and shining;
Put a lock on her belly at night, sweet life,
For no child of mine.
With you standing here I could tell the world what it means to love
To go on from here I can't use words, they don't say enough
PsychedelicRabbit

Re: Two Heads

Postby pooneil1988 on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:50 pm

I think that once again here grace deals with original and not normal subjects. i think here style has never been to be completely straightforward and make it simple to understand what she's trying to say, as i once read, here lyrics are "thought-provoking".
in the first lines i believe she's talking about hypocresy, and relating it in some way with religion (priests with gold crosses, the hipocresy of the church to preach abiut helping other people while filling the vatican with gold)
i think that the idea of wanting to heads is related to being trapped (inside your room your jail). she seems to be talking about someone that would like to be able to have another personality in order to be able to do things that he can't do because he represses himself (sort of dr jekyll and mr hyde). this idea is also portrayed in the line "your lions are fighting with chairs", sort of like trying to rebel and break free.
during the rest of the song this subject gets a bit lost i believe, but i dont think that means this analysis is wrong. i think that grace tried to combine these ideas with politics in the last verses (talking about women and children), making this a much more complex song.

anyway that's my point of view, let me know your thoughts about it
pooneil1988

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:18 am

I just thought of it as surrealism. After all, digs at hypocritical priestly types are traditional in this genre. I don't think it's a really great piece of surrealism, though. Surrealism should get you in a way you can't rationally explain, and "Two Heads" doesn't do it for me. "Fat", on the other hand, makes me feel that the top of my head's come off, but that's also got something to do with the way it's sung. Even if I can explain it as being about not eating too many cakes.

PS. I think that the reference to "elephant's trunk" may be a pun on "hierophant".
Last edited by Susan Butcher on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:24 pm

I still don't know what it means. The song is confusing. But that is Grace's style, you know? White Rabbit has a certain meaning not everybody gets. So it's just her style. But yet, I understand WR. But Two Heads I don't.

I wish I knew what this song meant! 0_0
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:54 pm

Critics think that JA's songs sometimes went too far into meaninglessness. It's a risk you take when you experiment with words. I wouldn't worry too much about it. As far as I know, no-one's managed to explain what "I Am The Walrus" means, but that doesn't stop it from being one of the Beatles' greatest achievements.
Susan Butcher

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:16 pm

No, I'm not worried. I just don't know the meaning of it.

I'm figuring Grace might have written it when she was high or something. So it's just stuff that made sense to her when she was high.
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby pooneil1988 on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:59 pm

grace wasnt much into drugs actually
i've read that pot made her feel too much out of control and that she only took very little acid
she loved alcohol though
if anyone has diferent info i'd love to know though
pooneil1988

Postby psychhead on Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:26 am

Try thinking on the lines Lewis Carroll thought when writing "Alice in Wonderland" and you 'll get pretty close to how Grace approached the lyrics to her songs.......that means very surrealistic and psychedelic!:)

Rob
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:12 pm

I think Grace writes in the stream-of-conciousness style, which I understand since I am the same way. It often doesn't make sense (think of Virginia Woolf)...so it often can be interpreted many different ways.
I think Grace did write this when she was high or something of the sort; but many of her songs she might've written so that it can be interpreted many ways.
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby psychhead on Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:54 pm

Surrealistic and psychedelic does not necessarily mean a songwriter/performer is high....it's more of a state of mind that eludes all "commercial" orientation of a song....like it is for the people to interpret more than anything else...esp by the TRULY psychedelic bands.

Rob
psychhead

Postby PsychedelicRabbit on Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:07 pm

psychhead wrote:Surrealistic and psychedelic does not necessarily mean a songwriter/performer is high....it's more of a state of mind that eludes all "commercial" orientation of a song....like it is for the people to interpret more than anything else...esp by the TRULY psychedelic bands.

Rob

I know that psychedelic doesn't mean that a person is high. It is just an idea...that she might've written it then, when she was high.
But then it also might be that she wrote it in the stream-of-conciousness style. I think, more often times, Grace's songs are written that way.
:)
PsychedelicRabbit

Postby psychhead on Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:13 pm

PsychedelicRabbit wrote:
psychhead wrote:Surrealistic and psychedelic does not necessarily mean a songwriter/performer is high....it's more of a state of mind that eludes all "commercial" orientation of a song....like it is for the people to interpret more than anything else...esp by the TRULY psychedelic bands.

Rob

I know that psychedelic doesn't mean that a person is high. It is just an idea...that she might've written it then, when she was high.
But then it also might be that she wrote it in the stream-of-conciousness style. I think, more often times, Grace's songs are written that way.
:)

Of course you meant that :D :mrgreen: .....no probs on that and the stream-of-conciousness style.....I do NOT disagree to that.....MY point is only that you don't have to be high to write GOOD psych songs....and JA knew that I gather!:)

Rob
psychhead

Postby Susan Butcher on Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:55 am

You might get inspiration from a psychedelic experience, but then you have to sit down and do the hard work of creating something. Which might be hours, or years, later. And there's many other ways to conjure up strange stuff.
Susan Butcher

Postby graceslick on Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:52 am

I'm sure I read somewhere that Grace said she'd write her songs often chemically altered (drunk or high/stoned), then listen to them straight to really see what they're like, and then again drunk etc, and if she liked 'em in all mind states, they were ok. lol
graceslick

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:04 am

That's exactly what I do. If both heads agree, what I've drawn or written has something going for it.
Susan Butcher

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions