New Paul Kantner / Jefferson Starship folk album

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

New Paul Kantner / Jefferson Starship folk album

Postby JoeD80 on Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:54 pm

If you want to listen to a preview of the new folk music album that the latest lineup of Jefferson Starship did (release date 9/2), take a look at http://www.myspace.com/jeffersonstreeofliberty.
JoeD80

Re: New Paul Kantner / Jefferson Starship folk album

Postby JoeD80 on Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:53 pm

I had a chance to listen to this entire album and I really like "In a Crisis." This album is pretty much straight folk music, but "In a Crisis" does have an Airplane feel to it. I think it could make a great single! As for the rest of the album, on the one hand I really enjoyed it, but on the other I thought how it could be made perfect if Jack and Jorma had added their electric touches to it...the only track Jack is on is one that had been recorded for Windows of Heaven ("Maybe for You") and that's also the only track with Marty. I would like to compliment Paul's singing - his voice sounds better here than it did on Windows of Heaven. The tracks previewed on the myspace page are a good cross-section but I think the album as a whole sounds even better. So on the whole -- album is worth it and I listen to it over and over, but I still miss the electric music.
JoeD80

Postby dr dactyl on Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:07 am

yes, missing the release of new electric recordings is normal, I guess.

But I have the entire tree of liberty disc, passed to me through a freind of Paul's and really admire the work. I think it rates with Blows Against the Empire and Planet Earth Rock And Roll Orchestra as seminal Paul Kantner masterpieces.

As with the earlier two, Tree of Liberty draws upon a great assembled cast of complimetary players and contibutors. David Freiberg from Quicksilver and Jefferson Startship, World Enterainment War's Darby Gould who sang as Jefferson Starship vocalist since 1992 and continued to contribute even after the advent of Diana Mangano's exquisite tenure. Cathy Richards (from Big Brother and the Holding Company, the play "Dear Janice" and the Cathy Richards Band) has now taken her place along those legenday jefferson female vocalists, addding her own special fire and skills to the mix. Mandolin player David Grisman, pedal steel guitarist Barry Sless, It's A Beautiful Day violinist David LaFlamme and drummer Prairie Prince round out the highly effective musical lineup.

Why, Marty Balin, Slick Aguilar are present and even Grace Slick and buddy Jack Traylor punctuate the event with a surprise bonus closing track!

But it is the SPIRIT I would like to address. SOME TUNES ARE SIMPLE. SOME ARE MORE COMPLEX. But I dare you to listen and not be affected in the same way you're touched by the best jefferson Airplane album, carressed and cared about, as the great discussion begins between artists and listeners until truths are seen and consensous is acheived.

Enjoy!
dr dactyl

Postby JoeD80 on Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:01 am

I think I said that I have the CD too? There are some electric instruments on the new album as it is, such as Paul Kantner's son Alexander playing electric bass on "On the Threshold of Fire." I'm not sure what "missing the release of new electric recordings" means, but I was referring specifically to Jorma and Jack's touches, as opposed to a general electric music album. Check out "A Child Is Coming" on Blows Against the Empire for a good example of Paul's acoustic music with Jack's added touch for the kind of thing I'm referring to. Or "Look at the Wood" on Sunfighter, for a good example of Jorma's electric lead laid on Paul's acoustic guitar at just the right points, where Jorma doesn't even start until a couple of verses into the song. However, as I said, I listen to this new album over and over again.
JoeD80

Postby psychhead on Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:22 pm

The way that album is arranged and produced doesn't make me regret it isn't electric!!! :):)
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby psychhead on Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:24 pm

The way that album is arranged and produced doesn't make me regret it isn't electric!!! :):)

psychhead

Postby DonRico1967 on Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:19 pm

I received an E-mail about this new release from the JEFFERSONS FAMILY TRADING Group, which I copy & pasted in another topic in the OPEN DISCUSSIONS area...

Then some members (at the JFT Group) were disseminating burned CD-R copies, only for trade, not $, of course...

YES!!! I am dying to actually LISTEN to what appears to sound like the BEST new JEFFERSON release in (how many?) YEARS...

However-- I will wait until I can afford to PURCHASE this, rather than easily acquiring a "free" copy at the potential expense (i.e. lack of proper royalties) of the song-writers and musicians involved.

It sure does sound great... Seems to harken back to the folk-music "roots" of the original JA.

I cannot WAIT to hear it!!!
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby TakeMeOnYourFlight on Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:38 pm

Same here, I listened to the Myspace tracks and I've got to say I'm highly impressed. Also, it's great to see Grace Slick got involved. I plan on buying this, in order to show support. From what I've heard I agree with Don, it's the best JA/JS music I've heard since... well pressed to say I'd say Blows Against the Empire. I'm pleased they aren't trying to go for a hit single or big album sales, they just did what they wanted to.
"I know it's hard to defend an unpopular policy once in a while." - Zappa
TakeMeOnYourFlight

Postby psychhead on Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:01 pm

TakeMeOnYourFlight wrote:Same here, I listened to the Myspace tracks and I've got to say I'm highly impressed. Also, it's great to see Grace Slick got involved. I plan on buying this, in order to show support. From what I've heard I agree with Don, it's the best JA/JS music I've heard since... well pressed to say I'd say Blows Against the Empire. I'm pleased they aren't trying to go for a hit single or big album sales, they just did what they wanted to.

Right on!:)
psychhead

Postby FirstBassman on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:47 pm

DonRico1967 wrote:Then some members (at the JFT Group) were disseminating burned CD-R copies, only for trade, not $, of course...

I would be very surprised if this was traded on JFT.
Every member there I know would never trade a commercially available disk.
FirstBassman

Postby DonRico1967 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:25 pm

FirstBassman wrote:
DonRico1967 wrote:Then some members (at the JFT Group) were disseminating burned CD-R copies, only for trade, not $, of course...

True, my brother, true.

But a lot of weird shit DOES indeed happen... Everywhere you look.
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby psychhead on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:36 pm

DonRico1967 wrote:
FirstBassman wrote:

True, my brother, true.

But a lot of weird shit DOES indeed happen... Everywhere you look.

Esp in this sector!:)
psychhead

Postby IneedaBonghit on Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:08 pm

This is now the first Airplane or Starship CD I have.

Sounds like a quick lesson in US Music History.
It reminds me of a box of Cracker Jacks. Only instead of baseball trivia its got space trivia.
The astronaut space transmission in "Follow the Drinking Gourd" refers to TLI "Trans-Lunar Injection" when the Apollo Saturn SIV-B 3rd stage is fired to take the spacecraft out of Earth orbit and towards the moon. It was an Apollo 8 transmission as Astronauts sped away from the Earth for the first time.

Jack
Getting reborn isn't easy. It's like hitting the reset switch of a computer, or getting hit by a wrecking ball. My life is rebooting...:)
IneedaBonghit

Postby psychhead on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:14 pm

Congrats on your first.....I hope this will make you wanna see to the other JA / JS albums as well :P :wink: :wink:

Rob
psychhead

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions