Long John Silver and Bark

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Long John Silver and Bark

Postby Jefferson Maine on Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:20 pm

Ok folks! I visited the store and did not find Long John Silver or Bark (and a host of others, actually). What gives, did I hallucinate those to "ALBUMS"?

Mark
Maine
Keep your grace slick
Jefferson Maine

Re: Long John Silver and Bark

Postby graceslick on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:58 am

Oh yeah, no, you're not hallucinating, man, they're really hard to find on CD.

I don't have them on CD (yet), but I did manage to get Bark on record from a second hand store in Sydney earlier this year. For $10! WOO HOO! :mrgreen:

My partner (who has over $70,000 worth of records and music memorabilia) has Long John Silver on record, but we can't find the CDs.

We've been on Ebay and I think I recall seeing some there, but for quite a bit of money, and they don't pop up frequently there either.
graceslick

Postby Steve on Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:08 pm

I recently got a CD of LJS at cduniverse.com for $9.99
Steve

Postby Dormouse on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:17 am

Hey Steve. I too had a lot of trouble getting those CDs. Both are really good and have some of the best Airplane songs ever.

CD may have the music on his server, or you can nab them here as well:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f175 ... b652182cf6

By the way, has anyone noticed Early Flight is exceedingly hard to find also? These three albums are for some reason very difficult to come across.
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby Dormouse on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:19 am

graceslick wrote:I don't have them on CD (yet), but I did manage to get Bark on record from a second hand store in Sydney earlier this year. For $10! WOO HOO! :mrgreen:

That reminds me, today at a second hand CD shop, I found Volunteers for 4 bucks. I'm going back tomorrow to buy it, even though I don't have a record player.
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby JoeD80 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:29 pm

Dormouse wrote:By the way, has anyone noticed Early Flight is exceedingly hard to find also? These three albums are for some reason very difficult to come across.

Wow I didn't know it was hard to find. There was a re-release of Early Flight around 1997 I think so that may have been the last printing. That one is probably worth it to track down because it has a studio version of "Uncle Sam Blues" which isn't on the earlier CD or the vinyl.
JoeD80

Postby Susan Butcher on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:17 pm

I found my first copy of Long John Silver in a puddle at a rubbish dump. That bit was easy. The hard part was finding one that still had the folding stashbox cover. Almost everyone who bought the record seems to have kept the box and chucked the vinyl. Which is daft, because it's quite a good album.
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby Dormouse on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:52 am

Susan Butcher wrote:The hard part was finding one that still had the folding stashbox cover.

That would be my dream come true! Going to a garage sale, maybe, searching through some old albums, and pulling that out. Maybe even finding a small package of value forgotten long ago? :mrgreen:
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby Susan Butcher on Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:25 pm

Some altruistic crook out there should make a few hundred reproductions of LJS's cover so all the orphaned albums have homes.
Susan Butcher

Postby Steve on Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:37 pm

Susan Butcher wrote:I found my first copy of Long John Silver in a puddle at a rubbish dump. That bit was easy. The hard part was finding one that still had the folding stashbox cover. Almost everyone who bought the record seems to have kept the box and chucked the vinyl. Which is daft, because it's quite a good album.

LJS is a damn good album- IMHO, much better than Bark. Even though I bought the CD, I still have the original album, with the stashbox. Good condition too. Unfortunately, the mix on the album is pretty muddy. They seem to have cleaned it up on the CD version.
Steve

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:28 pm

You're right, LJS does sound muddy. You have to crank it up really loud to hear it properly. Perhaps that was the idea! I don't like "Bark" much. The band's trying hard, but they sound rusty. That said, some of the songs are good. Maybe they should have rehearsed a bit longer before recording.
Susan Butcher

Postby DonRico1967 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:54 pm

Recently, I went to my local multinational corporate mega chain bookstore.
I looked on their computer-order system for a copy of LONG JOHN SILVER.

It IS apparently still in print.

There were two versions available for ordering:

1.) Was the basic, stripped down, no stash-box "domestic" version for $14.98;

2.) Was the souped-up with lyrics and tiny little fold-out stash-box Japanese "import" version for $49.98...

OF COURSE I want the "stash-box" version... But not enough to pay $50 USD...

So now I just listen to my 1972-era live bootlegs instead.

:(
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby DonRico1967 on Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:07 pm

Also, I agree with Susan Butcher-- BARK is a bit "muddy"-sounding and also has a fair amount of "filler" (novelty?) songs, whereas there maybe could otherwise be some more great real JA songs...

LONG JOHN SILVER flat-out ROCKS!!!
Maybe one of MY very favorite JA albums!!!

... WITH or without the groovy stash-box cover sleeve!!!

"Perfect Dream" Natural 'tobacco'...

8)
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby Susan Butcher on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:27 pm

Bark was a bit of a stumble, but LJS was a nice album to go out on, with "Eat Starch Mom" as a goodbye. I know Grace's attitude to fresh vegetables well enough, but she does seem to have a love-hate relationship with cars doesn't she?
Susan Butcher

Postby Dormouse on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:49 pm

Here is a two CD set that was just released a few months ago. It has both Bark and Long John Silver. I found it at Barnes and Noble:
http://music.barnesandnoble.com/Bark-Lo ... 28/?itm=10

It is good to see a new Jefferson Airplane release, even if it is just a combination of the two.
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions