The Most Influential Band?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

The Most Influential Band?

Postby Dormouse on Wed May 28, 2008 10:31 pm

No doubt Jefferson Airplane is not as well known as some other bands, such as the Beatles, but I have been thinking about their influence they had on music and culture in general.

For example, everyone is familiar with the famous Beatle rooftop performance, but did they copy it from the Airplane? Here is the Airplane performing House At Pooneil Corners, which predated the Beatles rooftop concert.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urjmxO66mS8

I have read that during the Dick Cavett Show, when the Airplane played We Can Be Together, it was the first time fuck was ever said on network TV! Here is the video, thanks to Craig.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PM9UpG0drug

These are just two examples. I'm sure there are countless others.
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Re: The Most Influential Band?

Postby psychhead on Fri May 30, 2008 11:45 am

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Grace Slick was "naughty", but it WAS the 60s after all.....no???! :):):).....I think you either were 'naughty' or a square in those days! :):). Anyway, getting back to this interesting topic, JA might be less known than the Beatles but NOT less talented and that's a fact. I think Grace and the boys were ahead of their time and day in their looks, behaviour, moods, style, attraction gear, etc. ............I see JA like a sort of twisty Back To The Future reversed!! :mrgreen: 8) 8)

Rob
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby goodshepherd90 on Fri May 30, 2008 10:09 pm

I personally would throw the Airplane into the "Most Underrated Band" list, where they should be in the top 5 at the very least. No doubt about the impact they had on music, but if more people looked beyond White Rabbit and Somebody to Love, they would see just how awesome the rest of the Airplane's catalog really is. Baxter's right up to Thirty Seconds were/are all fantastic albums and time has been very kind to the Airplane
goodshepherd90

Postby psychhead on Sat May 31, 2008 6:17 am

I simply love ALL JA albums and songs....there is NOT one single JA tune I wouldn't listen to over and over again!!! :D 8)
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions