Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Re: For Grace only...

Postby psychhead on Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:15 pm

If anyone happens to have any photos of Grace with baby China, pls post them here. I have never seen Grace in the .....ehm...."grace" of being a mom :)

Rob
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby psychhead on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:48 am

Thank you CD......I just knew you would come up with them.........why should Grace or China be angry with such cute photos being posted on the J A forum??! :):)
psychhead

Postby psychhead on Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:46 pm

I thought of starting a new thread for this, but then no......I just wanted to post something about Grace's early life and friendships. It's OK here....(from Wikipedia):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_Slick
[now I understand why Grace wrote such targetted songs.....her mom was a (a direct descendant of Mayflower passengers

Early life
Grace Slick was born in the Chicago area (Evanston, IL) to Ivan W. Wing (of Norwegian-Swedish extraction) and his wife Virginia Barnett (a direct descendant of Mayflower passengers).[1] In 1949, a month before her tenth birthday, her brother Chris Wing was born. Her father was transferred several times when she was a child and, in addition to the Chicago area, she lived in Los Angeles and San Francisco before her family finally settled in Palo Alto, California, south of San Francisco, in the early fifties. She attended Palo Alto Senior High School before switching to Castilleja High School, a private, all-girls school in Palo Alto. Following graduation, she attended Finch College in New York from 1956–1957 and the University of Miami in Coral Gables, Florida from 1957-1958.

Before entering the music scene, Slick was a model for I. Magnin for a short time in the early sixties.[2]

Slick maintained a friendship with Janis Joplin that began early in her music career and lasted until Joplin's death by drug overdose on October 4, 1970. She also had a friendship, as well as a one-time sexual relationship, with Jim Morrison. According to her biography, the sexual relationship occurred during their 1968 European tour but no real romance was involved.[3] Jeff Tamarkin's Jefferson Airplane biography, however, makes no mention of such a relationship. She was also good friends with The Grateful Dead's Jerry Garcia.

Slick was married twice, to cinematographer Gerald "Jerry" Slick from 1961 to 1971, and then to Skip Johnson, a Jefferson Starship lighting designer, from 1976 to 1994. She has one daughter, China Wing Kantner (born January 25, 1971). China's father is former Jefferson Airplane guitarist Paul Kantner, with whom Grace had a relationship from 1969 through 1975. During her stay in the hospital after the baby's birth, Grace sarcastically told one of the attending nurses (who Grace thought to be annoyingly sanctimonious) that she intended to name the child "god", with a small g as she wished for the child to be 'humble'. The nurse took Grace seriously, and her reports of the incident caused both a minor stir[4] and the birth of a rock-and-roll urban legend.[5]
psychhead

Postby psychhead on Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:17 am

Chasin-Destiny wrote:Grace...

and one of her best friends...

I've seen a lot of pictures now, if pictures could talk to us ?... I think a lot of pictures from
Grace and Janis would say something like ; " Holy shit !, again a man and his camera for
picture number 9867986 of me..." Because on a lot of pictures they don't look great as usual.
They look tired !. And some pro-photographers didn't care about those 2 women, they just
did take their pictures... and goodby... Some pictures are real SHIT and i wouldn't post them
here. Not for >1.000.000 $... NEVER !!!. There are some real beautiful and great pictures
out there from those 2 women. And everybody should remember ;
It was at their time a MAN's world ! ... Maybe not everyday the same fun !

A pro-photographer who likes to make the best possible pictures should work WITH the
model NOT against the model ! (model= object/human in front of camera). And not take
a picture just to get something on paper, he or she should ask the model to look normal.
And not to smile because the picture needs a smile, that doesn't work. And not to look like
a funeral guest, that looks a bit crappy. All these little things can be the difference between
just another picture and a GREAT art-photograph.

Why i like that photograph of Janis Joplin ? Because the photographer did give her
a camera to play with (1)or even did explain how to take some photos. That's 1000000X
better than a bottle of whiskey !!!. And maybe he didn't talk about music but ANYTHING
else of her life anything !. 100% sure, she would talk about anything... NOT always the
same questions, they answere always the same questions just because not to be
an asshole to people from musikmagazines /photographers etc. I think sometimes you
can see it on the photo, there is something...the word is ; spontaneous

(1) Is it her own camera ?, i don't know about it !...

Wow, what a smile...what beautiful eyes Grace has :):):)......I love that lady, she makes my heart strings DROOL!! I don't know if that was Janis's camera, but she was interested in everything visual including photography. Thanx for that pic CD! Yes, even though Grace never talks much about her dear friend Janis, I know deep in her heart she still loves her and is very saddened at remembering the good vibes in the days gone by. Thank you Grace for being close to Janis....I will love and admire you forever as I do Janis :):)

Robert.
psychhead

Postby psychhead on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:40 pm

:D :D :D If you notice, I'm not interested in either Grace's of Janis's sexual or private lives....let's leave THAT to them and them alone :) 8)
psychhead

Postby psychhead on Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:43 pm

Some pictures of Grace.....but maybe CD knows them already :):) :oops: :mrgreen:

psychhead

Postby psychhead on Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:37 pm

Right!! Beautiful photo of Grace's home with records. I have the funny feeling Grace might have listened to songs like "Stormy weather".....and yes, she surely read Alice in Wonderland :):). In a vid I d-loaded, Bernstein interviews Grace about music in her family and she says there was always music around her family home, that Grace's mom Virginia sang old songs and her dad didn't sing but was in tune!! :):).....if I find the vid, I'll post it here.
psychhead

Postby psychhead on Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:04 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :shock: Yep, looks like it CD....we are alone...for the time being. Personally, I don't mind this cozy little angle of bliss with J A and you man....I mean, perhaps it's because I'm always talking to someone for work, on the phone or with Mony my g f (bless her pointed little head...:):):):))...it's like a 'holiday' for me being here!! A no hassles thing....believe me CD when I say I have too much of a life out there!! :)
Back to the topic.....how much does that painting cost man?! It's beautiful...I wonder if Janis is among her friends there?!

Rob
psychhead

Postby psychhead on Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:25 pm

Love that last painting!! :). Thank you CD :D
psychhead

Postby swisskindman on Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:28 am

:| :arrow:
Last edited by swisskindman on Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
swisskindman

Postby graceslick on Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:53 am

Can I just clarify something? With those 2 photos of Grace playing the guitar, with no make up on and stuff, was anyone saying THEY were examples of the bad photos CD was saying shouldn't be on a website for public viewing?

If so, I can understand your point, but MY point now is that I find that an insult to Grace and people (especially women) in general. Why should we feel we have to wear makeup to look good? Have our hair done? Look "on" for a photographer? Why do we have to be aware that people in general don't want to see us in photos when we're just natural? Why are these photos seen as "bad" photos? They're just us. No masks.
graceslick

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:27 pm

If you're famous, people want to take pictures of you. One of the reasons Grace is famous is because she's photogenic. Do you agree? To me, her appearance is irrelevant; I like her music. I think the main issue here is privacy. (BTW, I hate being photographed. I've got a Mark 1 Cilla Black nose, and my chin tends to disappear when I let my guard down.)
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:50 am

There's one beautifully ugly picture of her on the sleeve of "Baxter's" where she's lit from below with green light. If that IS her. I can't be sure!

"The ugly may be Beautiful; the pretty, never."
Susan Butcher

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:43 am

I'm such a terrible liar. I find that face fascinating.
Last edited by Susan Butcher on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Susan Butcher

Postby Susan Butcher on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:13 pm

(The message to which this was a reply has now disappeared.)
Last edited by Susan Butcher on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Susan Butcher

PreviousNext

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions