Aerie: Gang of Eagles - most underrated song ever?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Aerie: Gang of Eagles - most underrated song ever?

Postby Clym on Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:50 pm

When I first heard this song it blew me away, and it still does... it's a staggering, incredible song... and one of my favourites, not just of the Airplane canon, but of all time.

I always thought it never quite got the recognition it deserves - but then I think a lot of JA's work doesn't get the recognition it deserves...

anybody else love the song?
Clym

Postby graceslick on Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:58 am

I too love this song. My partner, who also really likes JA, doesn't much care for it, but I do. I think it's great. It gave me shivers the first time I heard it. As usual, love Grace's voice in it, and also Papa John's fiddles.
graceslick

Postby Rüdi on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:09 am

never heard of this song.
is it from the airplane? on which album?
still surching on amazon . . .
you tease me
Never argue with a german
Rüdi

Postby Dormouse on Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:54 pm

Rüdi wrote:never heard of this song.
you tease me

Last Flight has a live version of the song. My favorite version is the studio version, which is on Long John Silver, 1972. By this time, Spencer, the drummer had left the band, but it is an absolutely amazing album.
http://www.amazon.com/Long-John-Silver- ... 817&sr=8-2

And here is the studio version of the song:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8tch35iez4g

Tell us what you think!

I agree it is one of the most beautiful songs and it is definitely under rated, but that can by said of most Airplane songs. :(

Still, I have to say that the best and most looked over song is Eskimo Blue Day, which made its appearance for the first time at Woodstock.
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby Clym on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:45 pm

Dormouse wrote:
Rüdi wrote:never heard of this song.
you tease me

Last Flight has a live version of the song. My favorite version is the studio version, which is on Long John Silver, 1972. By this time, Spencer, the drummer had left the band, but it is an absolutely amazing album.
http://www.amazon.com/Long-John-Silver- ... 817&sr=8-2

And here is the studio version of the song:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8tch35iez4g

Tell us what you think!

I agree it is one of the most beautiful songs and it is definitely under rated, but that can by said of most Airplane songs. :(

Still, I have to say that the best and most looked over song is Eskimo Blue Day, which made its appearance for the first time at Woodstock.

Yes it's on Long John silver. I haven't heard the live version yet, but the studio version is one of my all time favourite songs - Grace gives the performance of her life and I love the lyrics too. It's so awesome it gives me goosebumps...

I agree with you Dormouse, so many of the Airplane's songs are underrated. People unfamiliar with the band tend to only think of 'White Rabbit' and 'Somebody to Love', but all the rest is overlooked - I think Eskimo Blue Day is brilliant too.
Clym

Postby DonRico1967 on Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:45 pm

"Aerie'"s cool... I think that I love just about EVERY song on LONG JOHN SILVER, actually...

Except for "Twilight Double Leader". I mean, it rocks and everything, but the lyrics make NO sense, and it's funny-- If you listen to some live Airplane shows from 1971-1972, when Grace announces "Twilight..." she says something sarcastic like "Here is a song we still have not figured out exactly what the lyrics mean... Ask Paul..." etc.

I myself have a theory that waking one afternoon, Paul K. was stoned and glimpsed the morning news-paper and the sports page which announced an up-coming "twilight double-header" baseball game...

I think...
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby Clym on Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:35 pm

yeah, a lot of JA lyrics don't nake much sense: 'Two Heads', 'Hey Frederick'... etc

I like obscure lyrics though because you can interpret them any way you want
Clym

Postby DonRico1967 on Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:16 pm

Well yeah, but on "Two Heads", I THINK that it is pretty clear what Grace is talkin' about...

I mean, she is singing to some guy:

You've got TWO heads on your body..."

Seems a little dodgy but I THINK I know what she is talkin' 'bout there...

8)
DonRico1967

Postby DonRico1967 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:18 pm

... But "Twilight Double Leader" lyrics make litle or no sense...
Impossible to relate to an objective reality.

I still think that Paul was REALLY stoned and wrote the lyrics while reading the sports page.

That is my opinion and I am standing by, until otherwise corrected.
DonRico1967

Postby Acid Wolf on Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:03 pm

DonRico1967 wrote:Well yeah, but on "Two Heads", I THINK that it is pretty clear what Grace is talkin' about...

8)

Ow. I didn't need to read that. It's bad enough that three of my friends are /b/tards... x_X
Acid Wolf

Postby Acid Wolf on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:03 am

Chasin-Destiny wrote:
Acid Wolf wrote:
DonRico1967 wrote:Well yeah, but on "Two Heads", I THINK that it is pretty clear what Grace is talkin' about...

8)

Ow. I didn't need to read that. It's bad enough that three of my friends are /b/tards... x_X

Because i like to improve my bad english,
i am just an old fart from Holland...
Is that some kind of the new internet english ? => /b/tards

Yeah, it's internet language for people who attend a part of 4chan called /b/. (Don't look either of those up, by the way. It's basically the asshole of the internet.)
Acid Wolf

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions