Anybody else think Grace is totally under-appreciated?

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Anybody else think Grace is totally under-appreciated?

Postby graceslick on Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:21 am

I read certain books about great singers/bands/music, and most of the time am DISGUSTED to see little or even NO mention of Grace anywhere, or Jefferson Airplane.

Anyone agree?

I am really totally impressed by Grace's sort of understated talent and musical skill...she seems to play it all down a lot and always has, but she obviously had a FANTASTIC voice (probably still does in fact), played keyboards, piano, guitar, base and recorder. ALL of these instruments and a beautiful voice, and nobody ever mentions it!?

Disgust a'plenty. :x
graceslick

Postby DonRico1967 on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:18 pm

Grace Slick has always been a POWERFUL woman who is NOT afraid to speak her mind...

Listen to some live rcordings from 1968-1972 and beyond and you will know just EXACTLY what I mean.

Of course, the "Powers That Be" in our modern patriarchally-based civilization shake in their shoes whenever a POWERFUL WOMAN speaks her mind without kow-towing to the "status quo"...

Just one of a million reasons why Grace is and has always been such a great "goddesss" never afraid to speak TRUTH to POWER.

GOD BLESS GRACE SLICK.

8)
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby TakeMeOnYourFlight on Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:48 pm

There's alot of that going around on Myspace. It's a good idea to always be suspicious when you see something on the internet.

I think the music of Grace Slick is very under-rated. She's going to be only rememered for White Rabbit and Somebody to Love. The Grace Slick best of cd from a few years ago was a really wasted opportunity it should have included stuff like Hey Frederick instead of We Built this City. They could have picked better songs from her solo work as well.

The way she wrote music and what she chose to write about was highly unique. We could defenitley use something like that today. Too many people out there settle for less these days.
Last edited by TakeMeOnYourFlight on Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I know it's hard to defend an unpopular policy once in a while." - Zappa
TakeMeOnYourFlight

Postby TakeMeOnYourFlight on Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:50 am

There is a pretty good fan site for Grace Slick called White Rabbits. Unfortunatley it hasn't been updated since 2002. At least it's still online to look at.

http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Lounge/1395/whiterabbits.html
"I know it's hard to defend an unpopular policy once in a while." - Zappa
TakeMeOnYourFlight

Postby graceslick on Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:45 pm

Huh?

Anyway, hey Chasin, did you tamper with Grace pictures in your youth? Heheh. I find that funny.

I personally had (don’t ever use it) a MySpace account with the same username of Grace Slick, but I have absolutely NEVER claimed to actually BE here. In fact, when searching for “realâ€
graceslick

Postby graceslick on Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:51 pm

And hey, Chasin, I love that pic you’re using right now. I watched that interview on You Tube the other day and thought Grace looked gorgeous in it! So natural and actually a lot younger than she had in earlier interviews. She seemed really nice too.
graceslick

Postby DonRico1967 on Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:26 am

Hey babe, what you said-- That is all cool and groovy...

BUTT why be hypocritical and rag on others who have done just the same as YOU by using the great GRACE SLICK name for your computer-identity?

I could be more mean, but I will just say that I think you are being hypocritical.

:?: :?: :?:
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby graceslick on Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:10 am

Hey man, feel free to be mean if you like. It doesn't bother me.

The reason I said what I did was to emphasise that yes, I use the name and the photos, but I personally don't claim to BE her, whereas some others do.

That is all. Think what you will.
graceslick

Amazing Grace!!

Postby recursive prophet on Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:05 pm

Great thread! I have long considered Grace to be the best female rock vocalists of all time!! She also wrote and sang (Bark) my #2 favorite song- "Lawman." (#1 War Movie-same album) And have you seen her paintings??

Her powerful, melodic voice provided the soundtrack for an entire generation.
Trust me. The statement below is true.
What I wrote above is absolutely false.
recursive prophet

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions