Surrealistic Pillow - my impression, your impression

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Re: Surrealistic Pillow - my impression, your impression

Postby freakmeout on Sat May 17, 2008 2:10 pm

Surrealistic Pillow is the album that got me into Jefferson Airplane, and Jefferson Airplane is the band that got me into music. I don't listen to them much now, because I'm into different things now (Frank Zappa, Boredoms, Boris, the Minutemen, etc. etc. etc.), but they're still THE FIRST band I was really obsessed over, and had to have every album I could by. JA fan 4 lyfe.

Surrealistic Pillow is such a relaxing mellow album, with a creeping spirit of experimentalism at its core (which would show up in their later albums). That's why I love it.
They are extremely uncomfortable with the idea that I am a teenage girl in the body of a 60 year old career criminal who has already died 16 times...
freakmeout

Postby psychhead on Wed May 21, 2008 7:53 pm

freakmeout wrote:Surrealistic Pillow is the album that got me into Jefferson Airplane, and Jefferson Airplane is the band that got me into music. I don't listen to them much now, because I'm into different things now (Frank Zappa, Boredoms, Boris, the Minutemen, etc. etc. etc.), but they're still THE FIRST band I was really obsessed over, and had to have every album I could by. JA fan 4 lyfe.

Surrealistic Pillow is such a relaxing mellow album, with a creeping spirit of experimentalism at its core (which would show up in their later albums). That's why I love it.

I concur with the description.....JA IS UNFORGETTABLE!!! :)
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby RememberWhat theDarmaSays on Tue May 27, 2008 9:56 am

Surealistic Pillow is one of my favorite Airplane albums. I just never get tired of listening to it. My other favorite albums are Volunteers and After Bathing at Baxter's. As you can see, I like the more psychedelic side of Airplane in general: Pillow and Baxter's. I think After Bathing at Baxter's is their most psychedelic album.
~Remember What the Dormouse Says, Feed Your Head! Feed Your Head!~
RememberWhat theDarmaSays

Postby Dormouse on Tue May 27, 2008 4:29 pm

Same here. My favorite albums are the more psychedelic ones! Surrealistic Pillow does have one of my favorite songs, DCBA-25. I love that song! On the recent release CD with the bonus tracks, I also love JPP McStep B. Blues.
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby Odorono on Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:49 pm

I love this album!!!According to me there's an underrated song:My best friend... :oops:
Where can I find a tab of this song??
Can anyone help me?Please...!
Odorono

Postby rbersoul90 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:17 pm

yes i to just dicovered the Airplane for the first time last summer and I love them. They are in my Top 10 bands of all time list.

About Surrealistic Pillow, I do not believe it is their most Psychedelcic, I believe that the album after pillow, "After Bathing At Baxters" is much more psychdelic, but I do believe Surrealistic Pillow is important.

This album was the album that inroduced Grace Slick to the States and I think it really opened more doors for the band. It really shows the band expiramenting and tinkering around with different things. The two songs that Grace Slick Brought to the band from the Great Society were turned into huge hits (Although i still believe that the Great Society's versions of both "White Rabbit" and "Somebody to Love" were better) both versions are great but i believe only the Airplane could turn them into hits and they did. Although overall the album is a fine piece of work, it gave the band their first hits and some strong matierial to go off of for the future.

I will say though some of the Airplanes best songs are on this album:
DCBA 25, Plastic Fantastic Lover, 3/5 of a mile in 10 seconds, embroynic journey and jorma's first blues jam: In the Morning. Overall Great Album and perfectly displays the early Jefferson Airplane
rbersoul90

Postby Susan Butcher on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:02 pm

I prefer Great Society's version of "White Rabbit", mostly because I've heard JA's version too many times. I hate the way a group's output gets whittled down to one song by radio programmers and television producers. (Has anyone here seen Peter Watkin's "Privilege", where a rock star's career gets reduced to a 30-second snippet of film with no sound?)
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby rbersoul90 on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:49 pm

I Prefer the Great Society version of White Rabbit because it's alot more upbeat and its got a unique sound to it. The horns and the intro make it sound really cool. The Great Society's version of Somebody to love just has a really cool beat.
rbersoul90

Postby psychhead on Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:33 pm

I dig both bands equally....just as long as Grace sings to my heart :):)
psychhead

Postby DonRico1967 on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:18 pm

The Great Society WERE great.

In my opinion, JA were even GREATER.

But maybe just maybe, that original GS "White Rabbit" version, at six-plus minutes and Grace's haunting, hypnotizing recorder-playing just MIGHT edge out the JA version in my own personal ranking.

One thing about SURREALISTIC PILLOW:

"She Has Funny Cars"

:)
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby Susan Butcher on Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:36 pm

Sorry to sidetrack, but I haven't heard any of Great Society's studio recordings yet. Are they currently available?
"I ain't got the blues no more I said"
Susan Butcher

Postby psychhead on Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:33 pm

For anyone who has yet to be initiated to GS's sound, try this link:
http://www.cduniverse.com/sresult.asp?H ... search=yes

:):)
psychhead

Previous

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions