JA: The Saga of Sydney Spacepig

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

JA: The Saga of Sydney Spacepig

Postby psychhead on Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:00 am

:D :D :D :D WOW........what did I discover....or should i say REdiscover... :roll: :wink: ........TSSS is a real KICK ASS fat juicy psychy song by our fave Airplane.......hell, how can some peeps IGNORE the beauty of psychedelic music??! Dream on with JA!!

http://84.25.71.15:9000/

Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby pandalove on Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:15 pm

fantastic, wonderful, fabulous, awesome song always and forever, amen.
Avoid all needle drugs, the only dope worth shooting is Richard Nixon.
-Abbie Hoffman
pandalove

Postby DonRico1967 on Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:18 am

I ONLY RECENTLY finally got a copy of "The Saga of Sydney Space Pig"...

It BLEW ME AWAY...

The ONLY thing I could compare it with is the Grace Slick / Frank Zappa recording "Would You Like A Snack?"

Or maybe "A Small Package Of Value Will Come To You Shortly"...

The only other that even comes CLOSE is an unreleased track by THE GRATEFUL DEAD from the 1968 AOXOMOXOA sessions called:

"The Barbed-Wire Whipping Party"...

I think they (maybe BOTH groups) were taking a LOT of PSYCHEDELICS and inhaling N20 {nitrous oxide a/k/a "laughing gas"}...

'Cause THEM are some TRRRIIIIIPPPPPYYYY tunes!!!

8)
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby psychhead on Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:12 pm

:D :D :D :D I love all trippy songs......the trippier, the better....KICK OUT THE SQUARES BROS AND SISTAS!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: 8)
psychhead

Postby DonRico1967 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:57 pm

:)
:D
:o
:lol:

You'se good people, Rob!!!

8)
DonRico1967

Postby TakeMeOnYourFlight on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:49 pm

Many of the bands of the time were getting into weird experiemnts at the time.

There's one I love on the Who's Sell Out reissue where they do a really hard edged cover of Hall of the Mountain King and put a bunch of overdubs of all of them making weird animal noises over it.
"I know it's hard to defend an unpopular policy once in a while." - Zappa
TakeMeOnYourFlight

Re: JA: The Saga of Sydney Spacepig

Postby georgef76 on Sat May 17, 2008 12:37 am

Ten years ago i found a cd called We Are All One , included are 3 songs The Saga Of Sidney Spacepig, Pretty As You Feel, and Wild Turkey . When i first heard it , couldn't belive how good Jack's bass sounded on the track & the general psycedelic feel to the song! They definatley were doing acid or smoking grass, Jorma does some great guitar solos as well. The version heard on the remastered Crown Of Creation cd isn't as good as the one on the above mentioned cd, it's different , has a more heavy sound & is longer , plus Jack bass is booming . It's real psycedelic music as it's peak better than the Beatles, the best band for this were the Airplane And Country Joe And the Fish.
georgef76

Postby psychhead on Sat May 17, 2008 5:15 am

georgef76 wrote:Ten years ago i found a cd called We Are All One , included are 3 songs The Saga Of Sidney Spacepig, Pretty As You Feel, and Wild Turkey . When i first heard it , couldn't belive how good Jack's bass sounded on the track & the general psycedelic feel to the song! They definatley were doing acid or smoking grass, Jorma does some great guitar solos as well. The version heard on the remastered Crown Of Creation cd isn't as good as the one on the above mentioned cd, it's different , has a more heavy sound & is longer , plus Jack bass is booming . It's real psycedelic music as it's peak better than the Beatles, the best band for this were the Airplane And Country Joe And the Fish.

I totally agree that JA is THE TOP psychedelic band......the Beatles did do some good stuff on Revolver, but that's about it.....the rest was pop!! :):)......as much as I DIG Paul's basslines, he was bever booming on that bass ! :)
psychhead

Postby DonRico1967 on Sun May 18, 2008 9:54 pm

My copy is a "bootleg"-- Sound quality is "OK"...

But does the recent re-issue of CROWN OF CREATION really include "The Saga Of Sydney Spacepig"???

And is it a different, less lengthy version?

I have not found that release yet.

If what you say IS true-- Then I must purchase this promptly or as Spencer said, "Toot Sweet"!!!

8)
DonRico1967

Postby JoeD80 on Mon May 19, 2008 7:46 pm

The re-issue of Crown of Creation does have Saga of Sydney Spacepig. I'm not sure about the difference between it and the bootleg version. The one on the Crown CD is about 8 minutes long and has Jack, Spencer and som e great-sounding Jorma (with I think it is Grace on Organ) but the vocals are all very far away from the microphone (not sure if that was intentional or not). It's followed by about a minute of Jorma doing "Candy Man" on acoustic guitar on the same track.
JoeD80

Postby psychhead on Wed May 21, 2008 3:48 pm

JoeD80 wrote:The re-issue of Crown of Creation does have Saga of Sydney Spacepig. I'm not sure about the difference between it and the bootleg version. The one on the Crown CD is about 8 minutes long and has Jack, Spencer and som e great-sounding Jorma (with I think it is Grace on Organ) but the vocals are all very far away from the microphone (not sure if that was intentional or not). It's followed by about a minute of Jorma doing "Candy Man" on acoustic guitar on the same track.

Cool read Joe!!! :) Thanx.
psychhead

Postby graceslick on Fri May 30, 2008 5:48 am

I love this song too. It's just so weird. I love Grace's gag sound and then coughing. Just lovely and delightful, eh? lol
graceslick

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions