The song "Today"; ...let´s talk about

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Re: The song "Today"; ...let´s talk about

Postby DonRico1967 on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:41 pm

Dormouse wrote:... Also try Alexander the Great, which is one of my JA favorites. It is a little later than other JA stuff, 1972 on Long John Silver album, but not a Grace solo.

Well, not to nit-pick, but that song is actually called by the title "Alexander The Medium" and is VERY MUCH a GREAT song but does not really feature Grace TOO prominently, as it was one of Paul's tunes...

May I recommend (from the same 1972 LONG JOHN SILVER) perhaps the title track or "Easter" or "Eat Starch, Mom"???

THOSE feature Grace at her hell-raisin' FINEST!!!

8)
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby DonRico1967 on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:46 pm

Oh yeah... And DO NOT FORGET to ride Grace's "Milk Train" and salivate at her salacious lust-filled lyrics!!!

:D
DonRico1967

Re: The song "Today"; ...let´s talk about

Postby Dormouse on Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:27 pm

DonRico1967 wrote:
Dormouse wrote:... Also try Alexander the Great, which is one of my JA favorites. It is a little later than other JA stuff, 1972 on Long John Silver album, but not a Grace solo.

Well, not to nit-pick, but that song is actually called by the title "Alexander The Medium" and is VERY MUCH a GREAT song but does not really feature Grace TOO prominently, as it was one of Paul's tunes...

:idea: :shock: :shock: :oops: Alexander the Medium!! Wow, I guess I should read what I type more often. "My hands were moving faster than the movement of my mind" :lol: Sorry for any confusion!
And the particular part that is my favorite is Grace's "Oooh wooah" vocals towards the end. :roll:
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby Indian Summer on Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:38 pm

Alexander the Medium

Oww, you named one of the best songs ever...absolutely love it!

Today is a great song that is performed well over all those years.
I'm sorry I can't say the same about songs like 'Somebody To Love'.
Indian Summer

Postby Dormouse on Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:48 pm

Yes, definitely. Each year Somebody got more forced and sloppy. Who can blame JA though- the song was so popular, it was a must for every appearance, and who wouldn't get bored singing and playing one song over and over?
Tune In
Turn On
Drop Out
Dormouse

Postby DonRico1967 on Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:21 pm

I don't know... Personally I PREFER those later-period, funky-ass versions of "Somebody To Love" where they re-arranged and TORE IT UP way differently from the studio LP version...

8)
DonRico1967

Postby psychhead on Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:38 pm

DonRico1967 wrote:I don't know... Personally I PREFER those later-period, funky-ass versions of "Somebody To Love" where they re-arranged and TORE IT UP way differently from the studio LP version...

8)

That was something different for sure! 8)
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby graceslick on Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:25 am

I too have recently fallen in love with Today. LOVE IT. SUCH a beautiful song...lately I find it gets stuck in my head right before bed, and makes me feel sort of sad, melancholy, but bitter sweetly happy and serene.

I also find Alexander the MEDIUM (LOL) is growing on me lately. I must give Milk Train a closer listen. For some reason I've never really properly listened to it!
graceslick

Postby pandalove on Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:17 pm

Milk Train.... great song.
for some reason I cannot make myself fall in love with marty balin's mush n' goo love songs. i don't mind them, i'll listen, but they're irratatingly sweet sometimes.
Avoid all needle drugs, the only dope worth shooting is Richard Nixon.
-Abbie Hoffman
pandalove

Postby graceslick on Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:22 am

I get ya, yeah. I actually like a lot of Marty's songs...LOVE Today, as I've said...also love Coming Back to Me...just beautiful, that.
graceslick

Postby psychhead on Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:30 pm

:D :D :D I have recently been trippin'.................again..............with GREASY HEART.....sooooooooooooooo psychedelic!! 8) :wink:
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby MicksPulloutCouch on Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:29 pm

pandalove wrote:for some reason I cannot make myself fall in love with marty balin's mush n' goo love songs. i don't mind them, i'll listen, but they're irratatingly sweet sometimes.

I agree.
Some of them are good... But some are just LONG.
o.o
OH MY GOD IT'S E.T.
Wait.. WHAT?
MicksPulloutCouch

Postby DonRico1967 on Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:25 pm

I like "Things Are Better In The East" from the JA LOVES YOU box...
How did THAT one end up on the cutting-room floor anyways???

"Caroline" is great... So archetypally romantic and full of heartbreak and longing...

"Miracles" is another cool one...
Top 10 single in 1975...
Sorta subversive if you consider the somewhat X-rated lyrics referencing cunnilingus and "...Dancing inside you"... :wink:

"Runaway" is an ALL-TIME favorite even though I know Marty did not write it... Still one of the best songs he ever sang...
DonRico1967

Postby Rüdi on Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:11 am

I listen to the version of "Today" now on the studio album Surr.Pillow.
And yes, it is very nice too, especially because of those funny five (or six?) tones there on the right speaker from the guitar (Jerry Garcia-like).
They burn into my ear !

Real pity, that Grace doesn´t begin to sing earlier in that song, than just in the last vers.
Never argue with a german
Rüdi

Previous

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions