Lather “paper dollsâ€

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Postby DonRico1967 on Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:45 pm

Piano???

I thought you were talkin' 'bout TED NUGENT!!!

:P
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Interesting Question !

Postby CaryMG on Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:52 pm

I always thought it was a little kid they bought into the studio

TV !!

:)
"The Only Thing Necessary For Evil To Triumph Is For Good Men To Do Nothing."
Sir Edmund Burke
CaryMG

Postby psychhead on Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:26 pm

DonRico1967 wrote:Piano???

I thought you were talkin' 'bout TED NUGENT!!!

:P

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby graceslick on Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:28 pm

Hmm…maybe it’s not Gtace sfter all. It’s certainly not a little kid though! It’s a deep voice. But to me, it sounds like Grace BUT from more recently, not back then. That’s why I think I was sure it was her, but I didn’t notice that…her voice is deeper now, although it was still deep back then too I guess.
graceslick

Postby DonRico1967 on Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:15 pm

Even in 1967-1968 they had all kinds of (now-primitive) voice-modulation techniques and studio trickery...

Witness with your ears (on headphones :shock: ) the lead-off track on Jimi Hendrix ELECTRIC LADYLAND double-LP from the same yearas CROWN OF CREATION:

"...And The Gods Made Love..."

THAT song has got some (Vocals? Guitar? :?: ?) shit to phuck wit' yo HEAD mon!!!

8)
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby TakeMeOnYourFlight on Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:54 pm

I think it's Jack Cassidy and Spencer Dryden doing alot of the side comments. But who knows if it's even one of the Airplane? My other guess would be that the Airplane might have let some of their hangers on do those bits for laughs.

It also sounds like there's some speed manipulation going on with the little "Paper dolls" and "TV!" bits.

The real important part of the song in Grace's lead vocal, which is excellent and goes against her notion she can't sing soft songs.

Myself, I always thought "Triad" was Grace's best song on Crown and never understood why that isn't talked about as one of her best moments.
TakeMeOnYourFlight

Postby TakeMeOnYourFlight on Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:12 am

I'd be willing to bet it's tape speed manipulation like Frank Zappa used the same year on his We're Only in it for the Money album.

The same effect was also popular with the Beatles (to lower John's voice,) the Moody Blues, Gabriel era Genesis and how all the Chipmunks stuff was done.
TakeMeOnYourFlight

Postby psychhead on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:26 pm

[quote="DonRico1967"]Even in 1967-1968 they had all kinds of (now-primitive) voice-modulation techniques and studio trickery...

Witness with your ears (on headphones :shock: ) the lead-off track on Jimi Hendrix ELECTRIC LADYLAND double-LP from the same yearas CROWN OF CREATION:

"...And The Gods Made Love..."

THAT song has got some (Vocals? Guitar? :?: ?) shit to phuck wit' yo HEAD mon!!!

8)[/quot

Right on! :D
psychhead

Postby psychhead on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:29 pm

TakeMeOnYourFlight wrote:I'd be willing to bet it's tape speed manipulation like Frank Zappa used the same year on his We're Only in it for the Money album.

The same effect was also popular with the Beatles (to lower John's voice,) the Moody Blues, Gabriel era Genesis and how all the Chipmunks stuff was done.

:D :D Loop samplers too 8)
psychhead

Postby psychhead on Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:47 pm

Chasin-Destiny wrote::shock: Loop Sampler :shock:

There are no loop samplers, but a sampler can produce
a loop. You can sample ANY thing with it, even your
Jimi Hendrix guitarsolo ! And if the stuff is recorded play
like Hendrix did ! Record ANY thing you can imagine,
any instrument played by anyone !.

Because of what ?... A sampler is a computer !...
And what can a computer do better than a human ?
Play something 100% the same FOR EVER,
until somebody stops it.

You can buy MIDI samples with instruments etc.
The sky is the limit, your own fantasy is the limit...

:o :? I know the experts call them 'loop samplers'...for commodity i guess.
psychhead

Postby FirstBassman on Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:19 pm

Myself, I always thought "Triad" was Grace's best song on Crown and never understood why that isn't talked about as one of her best moments.

Well for one thing it's not "Grace's best song" it's David Crosby's song.

And anyway, the song sucks IMHO.

The Byrds knew it sucked and wouldn't let David put it on their album.
FirstBassman

Postby graceslick on Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:09 pm

Hmm, well I love Triad personally, but everyone's entitled to their own opinion I guess.

See, I never thought she couldn’t sing soft songs, or use a sort of higher/lighter voice. I LOVE Triad, it’s so gorgeous…I’ve said somewhere on here that her voice in that song sounds like silk to me. Absolutely beautiful. I could get lost in that voice.

I actually find her voice interesting in that it has many different sounds. She herself has said several times she doesn’t have a wide range and her voice is limited, but I actually disagree (in my mind anyway. I’d obviously never argue with Grace about her own voice. She would know it best of course). Like…White Rabbit, Somebody to Love, and a lot of JA songs, she’s got the strong, quite smooth but deep and strident-type of voice going on…but then there’re songs like Lather, Triad and even Aerie, despite the fact it is a “yellingâ€
graceslick

Postby graceslick on Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:50 am

Meh, that poster was joking about that re the funny women can't sing. :)

But yeah, everyone has their own opinion...it just bugs me when they feel the need to post negative things about someone's talent. Yes, they feel that way, but you know, why spread it around on a FAN FORUM for that same artist? Do they really expect support? (I'm not referring to the person who said they don't like Triad by the way. You're fine. This is another place altogether)
graceslick

Postby TakeMeOnYourFlight on Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:12 am

Maybe I should have been more clear, I mean I think it's the best song she sings on the album. I was aware already Grace didn't write it, Crosby did.

It was totally wrong for the Byrds, but I think it was totally right for Grace to sing. She made it her own.
TakeMeOnYourFlight

Previous

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions