Re-issues... Re-masters... / Re: BULLSHITE!!!

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Re-issues... Re-masters... / Re: BULLSHITE!!!

Postby DonRico1967 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:42 pm

Somebody very cool from the 2400 Fulton Street mailing-list was kind enough to send to me a CD-R of the QUADROPHONIC version of VOLUNTEERS...

The same one that about 4 or 5 teasing tracks are included with the JA LOVES YOU 1992 boxed-set...

Ya know...It's weird that the Quadrophonic versions of the songs on VOLUNTEERS do not have the familiar sound-effects dubbed in--

The creaking mast and sails of the "Wooden Ships"...
The growling and howling beasts on "The Farm"...
The Harley Davidson rev-up roar on "Hey Fredrick"...
The weird inaudible voices and (???) whatever else on "Meadowlands"...
Also-- Jorma's slashing leads on "Volunteers" are totally BURIED down deep in the Quad mix version. So basically, all you hear is Paul's Rickenbacker--

"Strange" I thought...
In the same way that today's "re-mastered" re-issues are purported to be sonically superior to the now-old CD-versions that have been on the shelves for years now...

The supposedly "better" QUADROPHONIC version of VOLUNTEERS is in some ways better--

Some of the songs are TOTALLY different... Maybe even superior in some ways...
But for the above-cited example, Jorma's slashing, angry lead-guitar counter-point to the revolutionary vocals of "Volunteers" is really missed...

Anyways...

Today at my local independent music store I bought the 2004 version of BLESS IT'S POINTED LITTLE HEAD (with 3 bonus tracks) and a used but still-pristine 1996 version of BARK, with a little micro-lyric sheet and Jeff Tamarkin liner notes. It's pretty faithful to the GRUNT LP version I used to own. But-- No "Bag"...

They also had LONG JOHN SILVER which I ALMOST bought... But it had the inner-sleeve JA-cigars for the front cover AND insert... No liner notes, no lyrics, and, most importantly, no "Perfect Dream" stash-box fold-out cover.

THAT is what I am REALLY looking for.

I love the last JA studio album LONG JOHN SILVER.
But when I plunk down my hard-earned ca$h, I want all the stuff my old album came with...
I don't care about Jeff Tamarkin liner notes, but I DO want a little 5" x 5" "Stash-box" fold-out, and some LYRICS, dammit!!!

So yeah...

That's what I think...

WHAT do y'all THINK?

:?: :?: :?: [/i]
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby Rainman on Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:46 am

I think that most companies are now in the "Hmm, what is the best way to rip out massive amounts of $$$ from people at the lowest production cost" zone :(
~A donde esta la planta, mi amigo, del sol?
Rainman

Re: Re-issues... Re-masters... / Re: BULLSHITE!!!

Postby psychhead on Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:18 pm

DonRico1967 wrote:Somebody very cool from the 2400 Fulton Street mailing-list was kind enough to send to me a CD-R of the QUADROPHONIC version of VOLUNTEERS...

The same one that about 4 or 5 teasing tracks are included with the JA LOVES YOU 1992 boxed-set...

Ya know...It's weird that the Quadrophonic versions of the songs on VOLUNTEERS do not have the familiar sound-effects dubbed in--

The creaking mast and sails of the "Wooden Ships"...
The growling and howling beasts on "The Farm"...
The Harley Davidson rev-up roar on "Hey Fredrick"...
The weird inaudible voices and (???) whatever else on "Meadowlands"...
Also-- Jorma's slashing leads on "Volunteers" are totally BURIED down deep in the Quad mix version. So basically, all you hear is Paul's Rickenbacker--

"Strange" I thought...
In the same way that today's "re-mastered" re-issues are purported to be sonically superior to the now-old CD-versions that have been on the shelves for years now...

The supposedly "better" QUADROPHONIC version of VOLUNTEERS is in some ways better--

Some of the songs are TOTALLY different... Maybe even superior in some ways...
But for the above-cited example, Jorma's slashing, angry lead-guitar counter-point to the revolutionary vocals of "Volunteers" is really missed...

Anyways...

Today at my local independent music store I bought the 2004 version of BLESS IT'S POINTED LITTLE HEAD (with 3 bonus tracks) and a used but still-pristine 1996 version of BARK, with a little micro-lyric sheet and Jeff Tamarkin liner notes. It's pretty faithful to the GRUNT LP version I used to own. But-- No "Bag"...

They also had LONG JOHN SILVER which I ALMOST bought... But it had the inner-sleeve JA-cigars for the front cover AND insert... No liner notes, no lyrics, and, most importantly, no "Perfect Dream" stash-box fold-out cover.

THAT is what I am REALLY looking for.

I love the last JA studio album LONG JOHN SILVER.
But when I plunk down my hard-earned ca$h, I want all the stuff my old album came with...
I don't care about Jeff Tamarkin liner notes, but I DO want a little 5" x 5" "Stash-box" fold-out, and some LYRICS, dammit!!!

So yeah...

That's what I think...

WHAT do y'all THINK?

:?: :?: :?: [/i]

:D I say I'd LOVE to hear every single album by JA in QUAD!!! :D 8) 8) 8) 8)
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby psychhead on Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:38 pm

:D :D :wink: Oh I took that for granted man......it's the original quad I was talking about! :D
psychhead

LONG JOHN SILVER Re-issue Frustration... AAARRGHHH!!!!

Postby DonRico1967 on Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:54 pm

So yeah...

When I went to the humongous corporate mega-chain store yesterday, to see what sort of JA they had...
All they stocked was SURREALISTIC PILLOW and THE WORST OF...

BUTT they had a little customer-use computer, so that one could ostensibly special-order in one's own CDs and books that were not in stock in that store...

So... I used this consumer-computer and searched to find LONG JOHN SILVER!

They had one version for $16.98... I ordered it over a month ago and it has STILL yet to come in. :evil:

BUTT they also had a LONG JOHN SILVER for $49.98!!! :shock:

I asked an employee what was the difference? Could he shed some light here?

Dumphuck had nary a clue. :roll:

I finally figured out that the cheap one was the domestic, late 1990's version I later saw at the new- and used- "independent" (Ma & Pa-style) CD store...
The version that had only the JA cigars for the front AND back covers AND inside liner insert...
No lyrics, no "stash-box", no NOTHIN'"... Not even a bunch of Jeff Tamarkin babble!

...And the EXPENSIVE $49.98 one (I was able to infer) was the Japanese "import" which, in all likelihood, DOES come complete with English lyrics and the critical but shrunken-in-size "stash-box"... Like the original vinyl LP I once owned.

... At least that is what logic allows me to presume.

Any ideas?

And so...
Roman--PLEASE Forward--

"To RCA / BMG:

Will you profiteering corporate fucks EVER release an AFFORDABLE version of the final studio recording by JA-- LONG JOHN SILVER-- which includes the ORIGINAL packaging (lyrics, stash-box, etc.) and maybe even some bonus tracks/ out-takes/ demos/ live tracks?

Like the BLOWS AGAINST THE EMPIRE re-release I just recently bought from YOUR corporate empire, and YES!!! I am surprisingly well-pleased with!

There IS a MARKET for such releases... You corporate shysters!!!

Sincerely,

--don muthafurryin' Rico"

:D

:x
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby psychhead on Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:32 am

:D Any import costs more than domestic stuff....AND the corporate nation takes advantage of this even more!! :shock:
psychhead

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions