JA on TV

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

JA on TV

Postby DonRico1967 on Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:38 am

So yeah... I have, after all this time being a JEFFERSON AIRPLANE lover (ever since a hip older aunt turned me on to their greatness when I was but a wee lad of 13)...

I just recently signed up on to the 2400 Street Mailing/ Trading List.

As of two days ago, I received a PLASTIC FANTASTIC gift package in the mail.
And I have checked out a few things so far...

The VOLUNTEERS out-takes/ demos are great... I love the seminal, germinational versions of all of those beloved songs from what is (hard to say... But...) Probably my favorite JA LP.
And the Quadrophonic version is almost even BETTER-- It's like the 3 or 4 tracks currently available on the JA LOVES YOU boxed set are just a TEASE...
I really think I like the Quad- versions of ALL those songs better!!!
...Only "Wooden Ships" does not have those excellent sails & mast woody-sounding creaky sound effects....
Otherwise it is like seriously superior to the "official" version.... Like most of the tracks on it definitively are.

Also, I fully dig the NYC Central Park show from 8-16-72... Even despite the numerous glitches, it is TOPS...
But who the hell is the girl that the band and audience keep referring to-- "Sunshine"???
Any ideas? I think EVERYBODYinvolved that day must have been TRIIIIIIPPPPPPIIINNNN....... :shock:

Right now I am watching, on V-CD, the Vol. I of the six-volume PLASTIC FANTASTIC video collection...
I cannot wait to have the time to delve deeper into the other Volumes.

But the main thing that occurs to me is this:

WHY in hells was the "official" DVD release FLY JEFFERSON AIRPLANE --WHY was it NOT released as a 2- or 3-disc set? I mean, just from the footage on the very first (Vol. I) of this so-called "bootleg", there is enough material for SEVERAL releases!!!

Some of this stuff is just psychedelically spectacular!
Then again, some of it is obviously 3rd- or 4th- (or more) generational VHS dubs to digital.
With corresponding loss of audio/ video clarity and fidelity. :cry:

It does not make the footage any less enjoyable, but all of those glitches and squeefs and warbles are VERY aggravating...
Does NOT do the original masterpieces JUSTICE.

No JUSTICE-- No PEACE!!! :x

SOMEBODY out there MUST have access to the original, virgin versions of those priceless classic "videos" (a/k/a promos or featurette films), like those from the Smothers Brothers Show, Ed Sullivan Show, Swedish TV, UK Top Of The Pops (or whatever) broadcasts...

WE SHOULD NOT BE FORCED TO SETTLE FOR THESE BADLY-DUPLICATED CRAP-OLA versions of such monumentally-meaningful relics of musical and historical GENIUS!!!

Can I get an "AMEN!!!" brother?

So what do we JA fans have to do here?
Hold Bill Thompson hostage and "Hi-Jack" the JA archives?

I mean-- WHO controls this stuff, and how did the folks on the 2400 mailing list get THEIR copies?

I just want the REAL DEAL! I would shell out $$$ for a multiple-volume, officially-released DVD of this old classic footage.
Just like the "FLY JA" DVD but with more stuff, and not NOT the badly reproduced, multiple-generation, old videotape copies dubbed to digital that we are forced to endure-- with all of their fuzziness and static and squeefs and ///SCREEN GOES BLUE/// kind of BULLSHITE!

Anyways... I still am enjoying this TREMENDOUSLY. Don't get me wrong here-- I ain't lookin' at a gift in the horse-mouth...

BUT can you dig my sort of frustration? (I am sure that some of y'all can)...

What do we have to do to get real, authentic video/ film versions of "Greasy Heart", "Crown Of Creation", "...You & Me & Pooneil", "Volunteers"... And the list goes on etc...

Should we start a letter-writing campaign to RCA/ BMG??? Something like "I want to 'FLY JEFFERSON AIRPLANE' AGAIN... And AGAIN!!!
I myself think like like a 6- or 7-DVD Boxed set would be TOTALLY groovy!!!

Kinda like GRATEFUL DEAD have the DICK'S PICKS series... Full-on live shows in their entirety, sound-board-recorded and available for purchase to the FAITHFUL...

We rhe people need us some PROPER JA.

Anyways... Just my thoughts...

WHAT do Y'ALL THINK!?!?!?!

:!: :?: :!:
UP AGAINST THE WALL, MOTHERFUCKERS!!!
DonRico1967

Postby betsebee on Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:38 am

Is there any videos from '65-'66?
betsebee

Postby betsebee on Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:10 am

Is it live or playback?
betsebee

Postby gTarFreak on Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:30 am

I think I recollect hearing from the DVD producer that a lot of stuff was left off due to the cost of acquiring it. All the footage being owned by other parties they all naturally want a piece of the pie to use it and they had to make decisions based on the targeted price of the DVD. Yes, I too would pay more for a more material, but it's a lot harder to market what's basically a niche item to the masses for more $$. At least, that's my impression.

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby DonRico1967 on Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:27 pm

So... GRATEFUL DEAD have their DICK'S PICKS...

Cannot we JA fanatics get us some "SLICK'S PICKS"???

:P
DonRico1967

Postby psychhead on Fri Jun 22, 2007 5:52 am

I think the Dead have a HUGE promoting backing unlike most bands out there. I would like the real JA deal too, but who's listening? Great idea about "Slick's Picks" 8) :wink:
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby DonRico1967 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:51 pm

So then:

What about an officially-released DVD of EARLY JA (1965-1967) live and/or television (AMERICAN BANDTAND / TOP OF THE POPS-style) performances where the proceeds could benefit the honorable yet up-against-the-wall Ms. Signe?

To RCA / BMG:
Hurry up and edit, cut, master and release SOMETHING to market, and with the proceeds to go to this pioneering sister who NEEDS all of our help!?!?!?!

Just an idea... Pass it on, pass it on...

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
DonRico1967

Postby psychhead on Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:00 am

:D YOU da man Don R!!!
psychhead

Postby betsebee on Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:22 pm

What about audios? Is there any JA audios from matrix club
betsebee

Postby DonRico1967 on Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:30 pm

SUGARMEGS DO have a ton of VERRRRY groooovy stuff...

Audio... Video... Past... Present...

I am GRATEFUL for SUGARMEGS!!!

(Where do ya think I found all that excellent unreleased PLANET EARTH ROCK'N'ROLL ORCHESTRA stuff???)

SUGARMEGS= 8)
DonRico1967

Postby psychhead on Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:14 am

:oops: I still have to try Sugarmegs yet!
psychhead

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions