Jefferson Airplane new book reviews, thanks!

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Jefferson Airplane new book reviews, thanks!

Postby craigtheairplaneman on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:05 pm

Hi all:

I am pleased and touched to share two 5 STAR reviews with you that the publisher told me about 5 minutes ago. One I knew from a few days prior but this one was from today.

Thanks so much, it means everything!!

Have a great day,
Airplane Man (Humble but feeling excited)
Reviews:

The ultimate Airplane book for the ultimate band!
Reviewed by: Jeff R. Son (11/23/2006)
Take Me To A Circus Tent: A review by Jeff R. Son The 22nd of November, 2006 Writing letters or reviews isn’t something that is common for me, however in getting to read a sneak-peak of Mr. Fenton’s masterpiece I would be depriving Airplane fans of a must read. Authors often times seem to write what is hot, hip, or what the publisher tells them is the flavor of the month. Mr. Fenton’s words are from the heart. I have never seen any Airplane fan with this much knowledge and the ability to share it as if it is a long time friend talking to you. You can see how fan friendly he is by the attention to every detail. If you enjoy photos he gave over 90 and there are pictures that are so rare I bet the band members don’t even own them. If your bag is the music, the look at the 121 live performances and 60 unreleased songs/jams/tid-bits from the vaults could grow hair on a bald person. He left no stone unturned. References to riffs that were played for only a matter of seconds, song titles that before were never mentioned. He could have stopped there and taken a bow but there are 266 questions and answers that look not only at the Airplane but Hot Tuna, Jefferson Starship, KBC Band, & Wooden Ships. The information is a treasure chest. To top off the most exquisite meal Mr. Fenton finishes the book with 32 interviews. What he did was always make the most use out of the time afforded for the conversation. You can tell he didn’t even need notes to conduct the interviews, because often times the musicians asked him stuff! If seeing a photo of David Freiberg as a folk performer from 63 or a concert bill (1964) with original bass-player Bob Harvey, or a group photo without Jorma doesn’t excite you, simply turn to the interviews with Marty, Paul and even Signe Anderson. If that doesn’t get your attention why not look at the first and last time a song was ever performed by the band, or find out the history of the group through the eyes of the people that were there. If you are looking for a holiday gift for a friend, co-worker or family member you have found it. If you are like me and often get the worst holiday presents that will set under a bed or get returned, treat yourself to what is under the circus tent. I’ll go now because I want to look at some of the amazing photos of Grace from the Great Society days and alternate covers to the 2nd record.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

It is the one-stop Airplane book of greatness
Reviewed by: Rod Evans (11/29/2006)
On an early November morning (11/28/06) the Airplane Express delivered Craig’s new book. My wife told me that I hadn’t been this excited about anything since her mom moved out of the house. Others have written books on the San Francisco bands, but Craig has created an “Encyclopedia.â€
"Craig Fenton knows so much about the J.A. and Family, I was asking him the questions."
Marty Balin July 2006.

"Take Me To A Circus Tent" is here. With many 5 star reviews already!! 93 photos 543 pages!
Thanks for flying with the J.A.
craigtheairplaneman

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:38 pm

Jeff R. Son ...Jefferson ?

Sorry people but sometimes i see things... 8)

It's realy good what these people write about
your book Craig !...Makes me i-want-read-that-to !!!...

I hope everything goes how it should be...
Waiting...waiting...waiting...waiting...waiting....

:roll:
Chasin'Destiny

New Airplane Book

Postby craigtheairplaneman on Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:26 am

Hi Chasin' Destiny:

Thanks for kind words and you will be reading it soon! For the amazing circus tent you sent all the way from Holland, when i get some publishers copies you will be see one in your home!

Thanks and be well,
CF
"Craig Fenton knows so much about the J.A. and Family, I was asking him the questions."
Marty Balin July 2006.

"Take Me To A Circus Tent" is here. With many 5 star reviews already!! 93 photos 543 pages!
craigtheairplaneman

Craig's Airplane book reviews, more 5 stars

Postby craigtheairplaneman on Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:31 pm

Hi all flyers:

Thanks so much for these additonal reviews!

Be well,
CF

WHAT A FANTASTIC BOOK! BW from the Jefferson Starship Board:

It's a large soft-bound book that is easy to hold and flip the individual pages. You can lay it down and both pages lay flat. You don't have to bend the binding.

The paper is a bright clean white, with the type style dark enough so it's easy to read. Jam packed with information, but the book "breathes." A ton of information spread out on 537 pages, but it is not "cramped."

You can easily open to any page and start reading. It reads like a novel, really. I have the book laid out on the bed behind me. I'm able to turn around in the chair and easily read it, from 2-3 feet away.

Really nice pictures of Everyone. Just noticing some nice pictures of Darby and Paul. He get's all the girls! This book goes way beyond just the Jefferson trip. It describes the scene, and anyone who was involved with the Jeffersons in any way.

Here's Craig asking Tim Gorman some questions, about him joining the Rolling Stones, no less! A lot a fact, a little bit of gossip, and one big juicy read!

Can't wait to get started!

BW

**************************************************************************************************

To all Jefferson fans: Craig's book is 6 stars not 5!

I am always worried when there is hype to a book or CD. Would it live up to advanced billing?

Craig's "Take Me To A Circus Tent" goes beyond anything I have seen. He is always making the musician feel comfortable. Several ask Craig to send them their own music! The insights and knowledge that he shows is impressive; however more impressive is how he is happy to give so much credit to others.

There are so many things that haven't previously been brought up in interviews. If you take the total length of Craig's conversation with Marty I bet it is as long as any interview Marty has done in or out of the Jefferson Airplane/Starship.

The pictures are a sight to admire. Don Aters is as good as anybody snapping a photo.

Craig has made sure the book is all meat and no filler. There is a logical layout to each segment. I knew the book would be something special when I looked at the index. He supplied more names than several books combined.

The amount of time he must have labored to get the obscure song titles proved this isn't an author doing it for the publisher, it is a fan doing it for us guys and girls.

Craig even went as far to get all the names of the players on the Great Society reunion, and the 1964 concert Bill that has Bob Harvey, Jorma and Paul playing at the same venue but on different dates was the best job of dropping in "What is to come" that I have seen."

I first thumbed through the genius for the pictures. Signe was so cute and innocent and the entire journey made me feel young again. Once I looked at the photos and digested over 90 of them, I went to the interview section. I was blown away with Craig's style and he is really funny. Read what he says to Jesse Barish when Jesse asked him for a video of a specific tune. I was on the floor.

I am now going over the Question & Answer segment again because I want to gain the full impact.

The San Francisco scene has never seen a book that has flown as high.

Thank you Craig and I hope you have the opportunity to get the full credit via TV/Radio and the printed word.

6 Stars and a must for any Holiday!!

From Wood N. Ships
Marty Balin July 2006.

craigtheairplaneman

Postby pandalove on Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:29 pm

craig, is it at barnes and noble yet? i couldn't find it this morning when i looked but i'm so reviewing it when i get a hold of it.
-m
Avoid all needle drugs, the only dope worth shooting is Richard Nixon.
-Abbie Hoffman
pandalove

Jefferson Airplane book

Postby craigtheairplaneman on Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:43 am

Hi Panda Love:

How are you today? Thanks as always for checking in and makin gthe day better.

I spoke with the publisher the other day. Normally 14 days after the book is considered out, the websites such as Barnes & Noble, Amazon and Borders (USA) will have the book listed. With the holiday schedule they may be a few days off.

For the American cuctomers and our friends in Canada they can go right to the publishers site http://www.buybooksontheweb.com

For the great people elsewhere Amazon U.K. and Amazon DE. should have it listed within 2 weeks. The international distributor Ingram as well should make it available to order through your favorite book shop outisde of USA/Canada.

Please if anybody can't get it through the publisher as I had set up, let me know. I don't want anyone to not be able to find it.

Once the Book Sellers catch up from the holiday paperwork mess, you should be able to get it on line anywhwere and or walk into a store and get it through Ingram.

In the mean time for those that can please for the fastest service go to http://www.buybooksontheweb.com

Please please please let me know if you are able to get the book elsewhere in 2 weeks.

Be well and thank you all,
CF
Marty Balin July 2006.

craigtheairplaneman

Postby virgo80 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:19 pm

Can't wait to pick this one up soon! :D
Visit me on MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/virgo80
virgo80

Airplane Thanks

Postby craigtheairplaneman on Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:07 pm

Hi Virgo 80"

Thanks for the post today. I can't wait until you pick up the book too!!

There are several 5 STAR REVIEWS I put up at the website:
http://www.takemetoacircustent.net

Thank you all for your kind words,
CF
Marty Balin July 2006.

craigtheairplaneman

Postby Indian Summer on Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:45 pm

As soon as I can get my hands on it, this book will be mine.
I really look forward to read it and I guess that every JA fan will love this.
Well, if there is any information for Europpean (Dutch) buyers, then please post it.

Nice reviews Craig!
Indian Summer

Jefferson book

Postby craigtheairplaneman on Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:09 pm

Hi Indian Summer:

Thanks for such nice words about the book.

Amazon USA has it listed, I am hoping Amazon U.K. and Amazon DE will too.

Please try those sites for the book. Take Me To A Circus Tent
CRaig Fenton.

If they do not have it, you can see what the postage would be from Amazon USA to your home. If the cost is too much please go into a local book store in Holland and tell them that it is availabl through the distributor Ingram.

Any trouble please let me know!!

Be well,
CF
Marty Balin July 2006.

craigtheairplaneman

Postby Indian Summer on Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:01 pm

Thanks for your reaction!

Since I live in the centre of Groningen (the biggest city in the North of the Netherlands) there a some bigger bookstores and one them is Scholtens Wristers.
They are wellknown for their hugh international collection and they order alot from the USA.
However, if Amazon.de (Germany is right next to Holland) has it, then it could be ordered in my country very soon.

Can't wait to read it!
I will do some promotion on other webforum's where I'm active on.

You be well too, IS
Indian Summer

Jefferson Airplane promotion thanks

Postby craigtheairplaneman on Sat Dec 09, 2006 1:31 pm

Hi Indian Summer:

Thanks for any promotion for my book!! May you always be well.

Sorry that the other Amazon sites don't have the listing for the book yet.

For those outside the USA/Canada you can go to http://www.amazon.com and order the book. They will ship anyplace in the world. Please also see if your local shop can get it through Ingram Distribution list.

It is good to know that the non-US/Canadian fine people could get it through Amazon USA.

May you be well and thanks for your kindness,
CF
Marty Balin July 2006.

craigtheairplaneman

Postby psychhead on Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:28 am

:D Read the reviews....loved them.....you deserve every good vibe you get Craig!! can't wait to grab the book! Can you pls enlighten me on that song a member of Jefferson Starship wrote for Janis??!

Thanx
Rob :o
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Jefferson Airplane Book

Postby craigtheairplaneman on Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:54 pm

Hi Psychhead:

Thanks so much for the nice words!

Hope you can get the book soon.

The reviews are really nice to see and it means so much to be able to communicate with the fine people all over the world.

Getting emails from Austrailia, Canada, Itlay, U.K., France, Holland, Germany, Canada, etc is tremendous!

Thanks everyone and have a great day,
CF
Marty Balin July 2006.

craigtheairplaneman

Postby pandalove on Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:12 pm

i have it! i have the book!
i have not finished it yet but craig, muchos gracias to you for working so hard to make it so freakin great!!!
Avoid all needle drugs, the only dope worth shooting is Richard Nixon.
-Abbie Hoffman
pandalove

Next

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions