Need Help On the Box Set "Ballad of You & Me...&quo

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Need Help On the Box Set "Ballad of You & Me...&quo

Postby The Other Side on Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:02 am

It's an incredible mix of what sounds like a live recording. You can barely hear the audience at the end. ANYBODY know if I'm indeed hearing this correctly? If so, can anybody please tell me the date of this particular show? It opens disc 2 if I recall correctly, just before the gorgeous "Things Are Better In The East".

Thanks bunches! :)
"Go Ride the Music"
The Other Side

Postby Robert Meyer on Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:11 am

I don't know and haven't seen the box set. I do have 3 different versions of "Ballad of You, Me, and Pooneil": the original studio version on "Baxter's" and two longer (11 mins) live versions that are essentially the same as to how they are playing it but very different in sound quality. One is as part of their Monterey Pop Festival concert on June 17, 1967 and that one doesn't sound as good I think (outdoor acoustics, etc). The other one is an extra bonus track on a newer CD re-issue of Baxter's (#82876 53225 2) recorded live June 14, 1967 and that one is fantastic! The liner notes don't say where it was recorded, but it must have been in a concert hall that had VERY good acoustics and it has very little crowd noise. In fact, JA was considering that version for the LP, but it was too long they decided (they'd have to cut some other song from the album). The fact that it's only 3 days before Monterey makes me think that it probably was in the SF area, but you can't really tell. That re-issue of Baxter's also includes the song "Things are Better in the East" as well as different versions of "Martha" and "Two Heads" - all after the original LP ends with "Won't You Try."
Robert Meyer

Robert Meyer Reply

Postby The Other Side on Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:08 am

Hey thanks. It sounds like we're talking about the same track. June 14, 1967, eh? I was hoping that a recording of the whole show existed on sugarmegs.com, but "no dice".

Oh well, it's an incredible extended version. Thanks again.
"Go Ride the Music"
The Other Side

Re: Need Help On the Box Set "Ballad of You & Me...

Postby Bell on Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:39 am

The Other Side wrote:It's an incredible mix of what sounds like a live recording. You can barely hear the audience at the end. ANYBODY know if I'm indeed hearing this correctly? If so, can anybody please tell me the date of this particular show? It opens disc 2 if I recall correctly, just before the gorgeous "Things Are Better In The East".

Thanks bunches! :)

Are you referring to 1st track on Jefferson Airplane - Loves You (Disc 2), duration 11:38?
According to inner notes it was recorded on June 67 at RCA Studios, Hollywood, CA
Bell

Bell Reply

Postby The Other Side on Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:26 pm

Great!!! NOT what I wanted to hear.

Writing of "hearing", Bell, when you listen to the track, I presume you don't hear ANY audience at the end? I'm not questioning the accuracy, as I don't possess the liner notes to the box set, but I'm a bit shocked that it isn't live.

Except, perhaps, a live take in the studio.

Bummer. At least that eliminates any desire to hear the whole concert!:cry:
"Go Ride the Music"
The Other Side

Postby Bell on Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:08 pm

The Other Side,

I can hear something resembling audience at the end too. I have uploaded the track in mp3 so you can compare: http://www.mytempdir.com/1066382

On the other hand http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=am ... u06jph7190 does not mark this track as live either.

There is extended version of almost same duration (11:13) on "Live at the Monterey Festival" CD, but I didn't hear it.
Bell

Postby Bell on Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:50 pm

In addition to previous message.
I have closely compared in headphones bonus track on a re-issue of Baxter's mentioned above by Robert Meyer and the track on JA - Loves You. The tracks of clearly different masterings and they slightly differ in duration. But now I am almost sure that they were produced out of same record. I can hear amplifier's self-excitation on the same (relative) positions. On the both tracks I can hear the audience at the end etc.

As Robert mentioned Baxter's bonus track was recorded live June 14, 1967. Its Master number UPA3-5515

JA - Loves You: liner notes say Recorded June 67 at RCA Studios, Hollywood, CA UPA5-0862

It seems one of the two notes isn't completely correct. I still incline to opinion that it is a live record.
Bell

Bell/Robert Meyer Reply

Postby The Other Side on Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:10 pm

To both of you, thank you for your assistance. :D BIGGG THUMBS UP!!!

There's NO DOUBT in my mind that the J.A. Loves You track is FLAT-OUT Live. That audience is there and, as such, that performance is beyond masterful, to include the engineer's actual recording of the song.

Near as I can tell, there was a show at Talmapais on June 11. I can find nothing that indicates a show on June 14. Any clue where this track was recorded? I can't imagine that J.A. was anywhere but in the bay area at this point with the Monterey Pop just around the corner.

Now. Not to be petulant, but would somebody please tell me WHY we don't have the whole concert?
"Go Ride the Music"
The Other Side

Postby Bell on Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:57 pm

Well this may give us a clue:

http://www.nii.net/~obie/jefferson_airp ... e.htm#1967

I. Jefferson Airplane concert dates, set lists and important dates

Jun?? 1967 - Frost Amphitheater, Palo Alto CA
Ballad of You and Me and Pooneil, Young Girl Sunday Blues,
Fat Angel, Somebody to Love, Other Side of This Life
(incomplete list)
Jun ?? 1967 - "White Rabbit" / "Plastic Fantastic Lover"
(RCA Victor 47-9248) released
Jun?? 1967 - The Tonight Show, NBC-TV (New York or Hollywood?)
Somebody To Love, White Rabbit
(TV broadcast, NBC)
Jun 3 1967* - American Bandstand, ABC-TV Studios, Hollywood CA
White Rabbit, Somebody to Love
(lip-sync to studio tracks)
(TV broadcast, ABC)
Jun 6 1967* (Tue) - unknown location
Jun 11 1967 (Sun) - Mt. Tamalpais Amphitheater, Marin County CA
(Fantasy Fayre and Magic Music Festival - Benefit for Hunter's
Point Child Care Center)
(also with the Byrds, PF Sloan, the Seeds, Grassroots, Loading Zone,
Tim Buckley, Every Mother's Son, Sons of Champlin, Merry Go Round,
Hugh Masakela, Steve Miller Blues Band, Country Joe and the Fish,
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, Captain Beefheart and his
Magic Band, Lamp of Childhood, Mystery Trend, Penny Nichols,
New Salvation Army Band)
(rescheduled from June 3 due to weather)
Jun 17 1967* (Sat) - Monterey Pop Festival, Monterey CA
Somebody To Love, The Other Side Of This Life, White Rabbit,
High Flying Bird, Today, She Has Funny Cars,
Young Girl Sunday Blues, Ballad Of You And Me And Pooneil
Jun 19 1967* (Mon) - Winterland, San Francisco CA
Jun 20 1967 (Tue) - Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco CA
The Other Side of This Life, Watch Her Ride, It's No Secret,
White Rabbit, Ballad of You and Me and Pooneil
(also with Jimi Hendrix, Gabor Szabo)
#Jun 21 1967* (Wed) - Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco CA
(tapes with this date are actually Toronto 8-5-67)
(Jun 22 1967 (Thu) - Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco CA)
(Jun 23 1967 (Fri) - Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco CA)
(Jun 24 1967 (Sat) - Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco CA)
(Jun 25 1967 (Sun) - Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco CA)
(JA supposedly didn't play the June 22 - 25 dates because they didn't
want to follow Jimi Hendrix on the bill)
Jun 26 - 27 1967 (Mon - Tue) - RCA Studio A, Hollywood CA
(recording session for "Ballad of You and Me and Pooneil")
Jun 28 - 29 1967 (Wed - Thu) - RCA Studio A, Hollywood CA
(recording session for "Two Heads")
Bell

The Mystery Continues

Postby The Other Side on Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:11 am

Bell,

You found the same info that I did. I was simply too stupid to cut n' paste to a readable format. It's how I came up with Talmapais for June 11. The key is the absence of dates between June 11 and 17, assuming that sites accuracy. As I recall, they'd listed a show on June 6, but had no info on it's location so it's fair to assume that site is less than definitive.

I keep thinking that somewhere out there is a show which is an utterly hidden gem- a uniformly excellent recording of a concert (at a level, IMHO, that FAR exceeds BIPLH) where the band is ABSOLUTELY instrumentally and vocally ON!

Bill Graham probably took it to the grave.
"Go Ride the Music"
The Other Side

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions