Like some Hot Tuna ?...

Thoughts, ideas, memories, you name it! Share your favorite stories, albums, tracks and more.

Like some Hot Tuna ?...

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:10 am

Chasin'Destiny

Jorma's inspiration...

Postby jimmie ray on Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:45 am

There was a Rev. Gary Davis video that appeared after the Candyman song - absolutely mezmerizing!
Thanks CD!
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:12 pm

Chasin'Destiny

Postby psychhead on Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:21 pm

:D 8) FUN-tastic stuff!
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby gTarFreak on Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:11 am

Just some pics from my trip to Jorma's ranch, this past weekend. I had the unique experience of sharing it with my daughter. The concert pics are of Hot Tuna on Steroids... Jorma, Jack, Eric Diaz, G.E. Smith, Michael Falzarano, and Buddy Cage. I'm amazed the concert hall is still standing....

http://davehoffsommer.photosite.com/FPR2006_11_10/

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:29 pm

A bit late...
It looks you did have a good time there...
Does your daughter like their music ?...

Greetings from Holland to you Dave...and others...
Chasin'Destiny

Love some Tuna...

Postby jimmie ray on Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:01 pm

I heard they will be in Italy, in late January - early February, for some of you in Europe who wouldn't get the chance to see them normally.
I just got back from 2 shows in Virginia - it was great!
Jack was especially on fire - must have went wild at least a half dozen times, and loud!! Someone in the audience jokingly yelled for a bass solo, right after he finished up on one - Jorma shook his head and quipped "His whole life is one great big bass solo"!!!
Grace was at their show, the night before (in North Carolina) - Jorma played "Embryonic Journey" that night...
jimmie ray

Postby gTarFreak on Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:58 pm

Just got back from the show at the Beacon, possibly their last there 'cuz the Beacon's been sold to the group that owns Madison Square Garden and it'll be closed for a while for 'renovations' which probably means "they'll ruin it", because it's already the perfect place to see and hear a show. Tuna was loud and AWESOME!!! They were all on fire, to the point where the theater management gave them their blessing to play past the contracted closing time. Hope this show makes it to Tuna Tunes... My head's still ringing.

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby DIgitalRecording on Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:34 pm

Here's the dates for Italy
2007 Hot Tuna Performances

Hot Tuna w/Mittrerhoff in Italy

01/31/07* Stazione Della Birra, Rome, Italy
02/02/07* Naima Club, Forlì, Italy
02/03/07* Auditorium S. Bernardino, Chiari (BS), Italy
DIgitalRecording

Postby DIgitalRecording on Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:37 pm

I too saw a few shows this Fall Tour.

The boys are on fire!!!!

Song selection is great. I don't think I recall "Barbeque King" ever being played in the Tuna format. Nice bust out.

Other highlights for me were

Bromberg in Glenside. He was an added treat.

Good Shepherd in Poughkeepsie

Of coarse the second set at Mt Tabor was fantastic.

Beacon the show was loud.

can't wait to see one more in Albany!!!!
DIgitalRecording

I call that a bargain, the best I ever had...

Postby jimmie ray on Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:41 pm

I had just got back to New York, the night they played the Beacon. But I assumed that it would be a shorter show there, like I saw last year. They played close to 4 hours in Charlottesville, VA - the tickets were half what the Beacon charges, and I was close enough to Jack to tie his shoelaces!
It was great how they mixed the acoustic songs in with the electric ones - although with a drummer (Eric is fantastic) and Jack plugged in, it's a little different...
Being closer than usual made me realize how much of the leads are covered by Barry. It sounds so much like Jorma's style, at times, and how he does it on those kiddie size instruments is beyond me???
jimmie ray

Postby DIgitalRecording on Thu Nov 30, 2006 10:21 pm

I too like the smaller venues

I thought the Mt Tabor show was fun.

If my memory serves me tonight, I believe they did a Peter Gunn jam in the middle of Funky at the Tabor.
DIgitalRecording

With your finger on the pulse of time,,,

Postby jimmie ray on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:22 pm

Not that Jorma's voice sounded bad, but he did have bad cold recently and it seemed like they jammed some of the songs out longer - with Jorma and Barry trading off leads, Jack taking many songs into elaborate bass solos, Eric even did a drum solo that Keith Moon would have been proud of... The price we have to pay to save on Jorma's voice?
Absolutely no complaints, here!
jimmie ray

Postby soundchaser on Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:01 pm

I remember seeing Hot Tuna for the first time at the Albany Palace Theatre (Albany NY). I'll bet those guys played for 2 1/2 hours or more. They played lots of "Hopkorv", "Yellow Fever", and "America's Choice" plus a few from "Phosphorescent Rat" ("I See The Light"). They did a still unreleased instrumental called "Snowblind" (I think that's what Jorma said it was called). That was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. And they played "Rock Me Baby" from the JA days. That was in 1976. That show would make a great vault release.

The last time I saw Hot Tuna was at Toad's Place in New Haven. Can't remember the year, but my friends' band Sweeter Than Wine opened for them, and I got to shake Jorma and Jack's hands and say hello. They had a tattoo contest on stage, and Jorma won. No one in the place had more tattoos than him. What I do remember though was that I wasn't too keen on the "new guy" on the pedal steel. Maybe it was mixed too loud, but after about five tunes I was wishing he would sit down and just watch the show.
soundchaser

Return to Jefferson Airplane Discussions