We Can Be Together

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Postby nickwishkah on Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:09 am

Hahaha. That's perfect poetry. you said we can articulate our observations and feelings well ( i can't to women..that never gets easier...plus most of them are horrible people) but that was just as effective! Man, i ramble so much! and i smoke too much (none of your crappy baccy cigarettes) and i drink too much (though i wish i didn't because i hate that feeling) and i love music (but not too much...is that even possible?!?). lots of brackets. well, whatever, goodnight guys.

Nick
nickwishkah

Postby gTarFreak on Sat Dec 04, 2004 9:34 am

As Bob Weir once said, "too much of everything is just enough".

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

Postby Pooneil on Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:08 am

Hey, the internet is for rambling and free expression, no one's stopping you, that's why I'm here. As for music, moderation is not the key.
Pooneil

Postby garion81 on Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:27 am

nickwishkah wrote:i'm seventeen now but i have to say that you seem to be very much in the same place i was about a year ago. That's quite bizarre.
Regarding the politicality of JA lyrics i have since changed my mind after reading Paul Kantner [talking about Volunteers...think it's even in the Volunteers liner notes] say "If people saw us as political then that's their misconception. We didn't need to correct that because there was a certain value even in that. But those anthems on Volunteers are not saying, 'Let's go out and burn down buildings, let's go out and change politics.' They are almost like nightly news editorials or observations, news reports of what's happening out on the streets. It's 'Look what's happening. What do you think about what's happening out in the streets? Are there alternatives to what's happening in the streets?'"
But i realise you weren't saying the opposite. It's an important point to mull over though: the best "political" music isn't music which preaches to people about what should be happening it just shows people that others have noticed the same problems as them. People don't like being preached to because it makes them feel stupid (that's certainly the case with me) and that's why more and more people are retreating from the politics of their country and from all the religions out to buy their souls. I think that music, instead of being a great political tool, is more a factor for making people feel more together and less isolated. This may be used for political means but all "political" music isn't necessarily aiming to create a "united front", it can be just to make someone feel better about themselves.

While I appreciate, what Paul Kanter says now I think if you asked him in 1969 what he thought it would have been a whole different answer. :lol:
Jorma did some overdub lead lines on Volunteers so in places it may sound different. I think it was his most brilliant guitar work with the Airplane and his song Turn my life Down that he wrote for Volunteers was great also. I also think Grace's two songs were also in the origins of progressive rock and I wish she continued with that. Overall Volunteesrs was their greatest achievement musically but also the cracks were showing that fabricated a year later. We can be together and Wooden Ships were the two pinnacles of the classic Airplane lineup at it's best.
garion81

Volunteers

Postby nadezalli on Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:15 pm

"We are forces of chaos and anarchy,
everything they say we are, we are.

All your private property is target
for your enemy, and your enemy,
is we."

...or something like that. I've gotta get the new Volunteers CD, my LP is worn nearly all the way through the vinyl.

Sure sounded political to us back in 1970... :twisted:
"Hey I'm dancin' down the street,
got a revolution, got to revolution."

"Sign me up as a diplomat, my only office
is the (Golden Gate) Park!"
- Calmakazzi
nadezalli

Previous

Return to Open Forums