Similar Artists

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Similar Artists

Postby Nick on Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:51 pm

Hey everyone I'm just getting into bands like the Kinks, the Zombies, and Jefferson Aiplane. I especially love JA's sound off of Surrealistic Pillow. Any other albums of theirs I should check out? Or are there any other artists that maybe weren't as popular during the time, but are just as good?
Nick

cool

Postby Mr. Orange on Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:05 am

It's pretty awesome that you're getting into this type of music. I would suggest JA's "After Bathing At Baxter's". It's there third album. "Volunteers" and "Crown Of Creation" are also quite brilliant.

The Kinks are a great band. Do you have "Something Else By The Kinks"?
or "Village Green Preservation Society". Those are some good Kinks albums.
I would suggest, for some new artists, Tim Buckley. (he's Jeff Buckley's dad) He has got an awesome voice.
Crosby Stills and Nash (& Young) are always great.
Traffic is excellent (Steve Winwood's first band)
there's also an album called "Blind Faith" The group consists of Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker (from Cream) and Rick Grech.
enjoy.
Mr. Orange

Postby nickwishkah on Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:27 am

I would have to agree that Tim Buckley is a must. One of my favourite albums of all time is Tim Buckley's Happy/Sad. Check that one out. I have to say that Bathing at Baxters is probably my favourite Airplane album. Takes Off is the worst in my opinion but then i'm into far-out hallucinogenics so... Also have to recommend these bands some of whom i'm sure you will know or know of: The Doors, Big Brother & the Holding Company (janis joplin's band), Love, Quicksilver Messenger Service, the Youngbloods, Clear Light, H.P. Lovecraft and the legendary 13th Floor Elevators (who aren't as great as their reputation would suggest). That's the order i recommend since money is a constraint though i'm sure many people would not think of Clear Light or H.P. Lovecraft as essential listening. Still, that's my advice. Oh, and you know the Velvet Underground and the Grateful Dead right?!?
nickwishkah

Postby Box Of Rain on Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:24 am

The Velvet Underground & Nico ~ The Velvet Underground
American Beauty ~ The Grateful Dead
Cheap Thrills ~ Big Brother & The Holding Company (Janis)
Sounds Of Silence ~ Simon & Garfunkel

These are the huge 4 albums I can think of you should definitely dig into if you're getting into sixties music. Especially Simon & Garfunkel if you're into the acoustic/electric folk-rock sort of thing of Surrealistic Pillow. Janis is a little more hard-rock, the Velvets are kinda... out there, and the Dead album has a sort of folk/country/extremely beautiful music too good for words twist.

After Bathing at Baxter's, Crown Of Creation, and Volunteers by the Airplane are also definite must-buys. I would start with Crown of Creation, because it's the most accessible, in my opinion. It also spotlights Grace (Three leads instead of her usual two) and we could all use some more Grace.

Hope you enjoy getting into sixties music. It's really great.
"War's good business, so give your sons
But I'd rather have my country die for me" ~ Grace Slick, Rejoyce 1967
Box Of Rain

Postby Whenheco on Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:44 am

Some more excelent albums to consider :

Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails
Moby Grape - Moby Grape
The Doors - Strange Days
Love - Forever Changes
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
Cream - Disraely gears

As for Jefferson Airplane albums :
Crown Of Creation is kinda similar as Surealistic pillow imho.
Whenheco

Postby Pooneil on Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:06 am

You might want to look into some Captain Beefheart & His Magic Band. They weren't that similar to Surrealistic Pillow at all, but they are a great band to check out.
Pooneil

Postby Guest on Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:25 am

Anything from the Incredible String Band would show you don't have to be electric to be psychedelic,

Postby VoodooChile in Wonderland on Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:08 am

Donovan and of course Dylan are good examples that you don't have to be electric to be psychedelic

Try Sunshine Superman, it has the original version of Fat Angel later covered by the Airplane live in 1969

The JA albums recommended by Mr. Orange, those three are perfect to start... I love Traffic

Also try some other psychedelic US bands like Fever Tree first two albums, Love (S/T and Da Capo), The Great Society (Listen the album “Collector’s Item with the original version of White Rabbit (longer with a great instrumental intro), The Ultimate Spinach and 13th Floor Elevators
Well the airplane's done it
No... It wasn't the airplane it was beauty killed the beast
VoodooChile in Wonderland

Postby nickwishkah on Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:14 am

I love Ultimate Spinach but anyone i've ever shown them to has laughed at me for liking them. Still....
If you want an example of slightly psychedelic acoustic music, try the dillards. Bluegrass never sounded so colourful!
nickwishkah

Postby crazybrain on Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:24 am

I would reccommend Takes Off and Volunteers by Jefferson Airplane, both of those have excellent songs. The album Bark is worth buying just for the song Third Week in Chelsea, but it has some other good songs too.

As for albums by other bands/artists, Abbey Road by the Beatles is a must, as well as Harvest by Neil Young. You should also check out Buffalo Springfield (Stephen Stills and Neil Young's first band).
crazybrain

Postby teve on Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:45 am

Wanted to point out that Traffic was not Steve Winwood's first band. He was vocalist for Spencer Davis Band
teve

Postby Linda on Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:51 pm

The Velvet Underground are amazing.
Linda

Postby Pooneil on Sun Jan 02, 2005 4:25 pm

Linda wrote:The Velvet Underground are amazing.

Yes, indeed.
Pooneil

Other bands

Postby nadezalli on Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:38 pm

Kantner, Balin, Cassady Band is great as a kind of reprise of JA. Heard them at the Marin Co. Fair in 1985 or 86, and again at the "20th Anniversary of the Summer of Love" concert in G.G. Park - 1987.

Little John (or Littlejohn?) was a San Francisco based horn band in the late 60s - interesting sound. Definitely not Chicago or BS&T.

Flock was way out there, but lots of fun to listen to their experimental twists and turns...

G'night all; I'm getting brain dead, but glad to have found all you JA fans and this web site.
"Hey I'm dancin' down the street,
got a revolution, got to revolution."

"Sign me up as a diplomat, my only office
is the (Golden Gate) Park!"
- Calmakazzi
nadezalli

similar artists

Postby whrabbit on Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:06 pm

This may sound like a bit of a stretch, but one of the reasons I loved the band X so much was how much their adventurous spirit reminded me of the Airplane. I don't think anyone has ever come as close to the soaring, weaving vocals exchanged between Marty and Grace than John Doe and Exene Cervenka. They also seemed to have the same craving for experimental music. I think X was the Airplane of the punk age. And that was certainly the last burst of fresh creativity in popular music.
whrabbit

Next

Return to Open Forums