Blackmore's Night

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Blackmore's Night

Postby psychhead on Sun May 14, 2006 6:44 am

:D 8) :shock: I was talking at the local last night about Deep Purple and Ritchie Blackmore and logically Blacmore's Night HAD TO come up!! Most of the people at the pub were saying that Blackmore "turned his back" on rock by starting to play minstrel music with his fianceè!!
I've heard some of his songs and they're quite relaxing and well written.
They have nothing to do with Deep Purple and rock tho!!
Ops welcome (don't go down too hard on 'ol Ritchie :wink: :roll: ).

Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby zeke on Sun May 14, 2006 6:52 am

blackmore's night is one of the best gothic groups ever. I have "shadow of the moon" and "under a violet moon", they are fantastic. if you like blackmore's night, try "haggard". of course they are different but you'll like them too. haggard is a symphonic/gothic band. start with "awaking the centuries" album. these two groups kick ass!!
zeke

Postby psychhead on Sun May 14, 2006 6:56 am

:D 8) I must lookinto Haggard...thanx!!
I think Ritchie is still a SUPER guitar hero!! :D
psychhead

Postby willie on Sun May 14, 2006 4:58 pm

My opinion is........... Your local is better than mine. :cry:
willie

blackmore's night

Postby lenceel on Mon May 15, 2006 9:21 am

as a long time listener to deep purple, i'm a huge fan of ritchie blackmore - i always thought he was tremendously underrated when compared to his peers. i anxiously awaited rainbow after deep purple broke up and was not disappointed.

then came blackmore's night - after the initial shock of hearing my favorite hard rock guitarist playing minstrel music wore off, i actually dug a lot of this stuff even though some of it reminded me of being at a bad renaissance fair or something.

my one complaint with the band still is i want to hear more guitar solos!

speaking of deep purple - i just got turned on to the three pre Ian Gillan deep purple albums and they rock!
lenceel

Postby Chasin'Destiny on Mon May 15, 2006 12:39 pm

I have a DVD version from
Machine Head, great info about Deep Purple.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=5366073

Great old hardrock.... 8) ...
Chasin'Destiny

Re: blackmore's night

Postby psychhead on Mon May 15, 2006 4:28 pm

:D 8) Blackmore's Night is very diff from any works by DP and its first impact on the ears and the heart is shocking, but in time it grows on you little by little.....and all the Dark Age dress parties Ritchie and Night give.......would like to go to one of them! :wink: :evil: 8)
Have you got DP's new album?!! :D
I love it even tho Steve Morse is NO Blackmore! :wink: :roll:

lenceel wrote:as a long time listener to deep purple, i'm a huge fan of ritchie blackmore - i always thought he was tremendously underrated when compared to his peers. i anxiously awaited rainbow after deep purple broke up and was not disappointed.

then came blackmore's night - after the initial shock of hearing my favorite hard rock guitarist playing minstrel music wore off, i actually dug a lot of this stuff even though some of it reminded me of being at a bad renaissance fair or something.

my one complaint with the band still is i want to hear more guitar solos!

speaking of deep purple - i just got turned on to the three pre Ian Gillan deep purple albums and they rock!
psychhead

blackmore's night

Postby lenceel on Wed May 17, 2006 10:31 am

listening to the first three deep purple albums (which i had never listened to previously except for hearing the song "hush" on the radio) i was surprised to hear how different they sounded from the ian gillan deep purple that i know and love. the music was like gothic psychedelia to me! very intense and more in line with the kind of music i expect the man in black likes to play because i felt the first two rainbow albums had hints of the same type of feel. not like the blues based hard rock that dp played once gillan and glover joined the band.

haven't heard any of their newer stuff - my thinking was without blackmore, i'd have no interest. maybe i'll reconsider.
lenceel

Postby psychhead on Wed May 17, 2006 6:11 pm

:D My suggestion is that u reconsider because "Rapture....." is NO album to throw out the window. DP still rule as a hard rock band...after all these moons!! I know...I saw them live in Italy 3 yrs ago!!!:wink: 8)
psychhead

Re: Blackmore's Night

Postby georgef76 on Sat May 17, 2008 1:03 am

They sound alright , but i prefer to spend my money on the Rainbow cds, have them all. He sounded really good in Rainbow, better than Deep Purple. Would have liked it , if he kept it going on for a while longer in the mid 90's .
Last edited by georgef76 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
georgef76

Postby psychhead on Sat May 17, 2008 4:21 am

CD!!! Great album choices, great pictures and great vids a well...as usual!! :):). I've got all versions of those albums and listen to them very often.

Rob
psychhead

Postby psychhead on Sat May 17, 2008 4:36 am

georgef76 wrote:I heard the first cd of the Blackmore's Night albums years ago and couldn't stand it. This was a long way from the guitarist at his peak in mid 70's. Definatley the Rainbow albums Rising and Long Live Rock and Roll are the quintessential . He was playing the best guitar back then , he also sounds impressive in the Stranger In Us all cd from the 90's but Blackmore Night , slow folk medieval music from one of the best guitar players just doesn't do it for me. As for Deep Purple 's Rapture Of The Deep Cd some great songs then what happened , boring crap songs. Their House Of Blue Light from 87 is one of the best for me, it has some really good songs on it and they are at their heavy best.

:D :twisted: As I said above, many peeps who are used to the typical Purple sound will not dig Blackmore's Night at all. That's exactly what happened to me, but since I am a die-hard DP and Blackmore fan, I let my girlfriend take the lead and got dragged to B's Ns show in Rome. Well, I had to re-rate Candice and B's N because what I heard was stunning. At one point, Ritchie came on stage playing a strange guitar/mandolin with a handle(!!!!!! :shock: :o ),,,,,now that was freaky enuff to see Ritchie play, but overall, I had lots of fun listening to their cover of songs like "Diamonds and rust" (majestically sung by Candice :D ) and other B's N classics. No worries, Ritchie came back on stage at the end of the show playing MY FAVE DP song Black Night in all it's glory....wow what a spunky night after all!! :):)
Rob

(p.s. - I like DP's reunion album too)

psychhead

Return to Open Forums