Slick to grace art gallery fit for Rock Star

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Postby VoodooChile in Wonderland on Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:45 am

But Scottsdale gallery owner sees it as art

Dolores Tropiano
The Arizona Republic
Nov. 20, 2004 12:00 AM

What do Grace Slick, Ronnie Wood and Mick Jagger have in common besides being some of the most admired rock stars of the baby boomer generation?

They all are coming, either in person or as works of art, to Scottsdale's new Rock Star Gallery.

Slick, lead singer of the legendary group Jefferson Airplane, will appear there tonight to help showcase celebrity-themed paintings and other artwork as part of the opening of Rock Star Gallery at the Scottsdale Promenade, Scottsdale Road and Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard.
advertisement

"We're not bringing her in as a musician, we're bringing her in as an artist," said Donna Dunn, who is helping her husband, Michael, open the store. "She's very passionate about her artwork."

Slick is the first of many stars, including Wood of the Rolling Stones, whom the Dunns hope will appear with their artwork at the Rock Star Gallery.

The gallery, the brainchild of Michael Dunn, is a showcase for Dunn's lifelong passion: rock and roll memorabilia.

Rock Star Gallery will offer authenticated memorabilia, autographed and custom-framed albums, guitars, rock photographs, vintage rock T-shirts, jewelry and celebrity fine art.

"Someone walks in and sees an old Led Zeppelin album," he said. "But it is not just an album. It is a link to what was going on in their life at that time. It is a total recall, a connection."

Dunn's enthusiasm for the gallery inventory could be contagious, especially for the baby boomer generation that clings to the icons of their youth.

There they will marvel at a painting by Wood of Jagger wrapping his famous lips around a harmonica.

They may even feign flashbacks when they see the rare photographs and footage by famous concert photographers such as Henry Diltz, Jim Marshall and Gered Mankowitz.

"When they walk in here, they will have a complete rock-and-roll music experience. We cut no corners," said Dunn, a tall man with a square jaw and Jagger-esque hairstyle, which makes him look as if he would fit in with any of his favorite performers.

Much of the memorabilia is from Dunn's personal collection, which started when he was 16, growing up in Scottsdale. Dunn purchased his first bootleg Led Zeppelin album from a store on Mill Avenue for $40.

He attended Coronado High School and then Arizona State University and worked for many years as the marketing director for a local traffic-reporting company.

But when his 10-year-old son got a diagnosis of cancer, his priorities took an understandable shift. He dared to go after a dream and work in a field he had been devoted to for decades.

The rest, of course, is rock-and-roll history.

"I thought, 'I don't feel like doing that anymore,' " he said of his former job. "That's not what's important. The worst thing I could do was to look over my shoulder years from now and wonder what might have happened had I pursued my dream."
Well the airplane's done it
No... It wasn't the airplane it was beauty killed the beast
VoodooChile in Wonderland

Postby VoodooChile in Wonderland on Sat Nov 20, 2004 3:04 am

This is Mick Jagger and Keith Richards as conceived and painted by Grace Slick

Well the airplane's done it
No... It wasn't the airplane it was beauty killed the beast
VoodooChile in Wonderland

Postby Whenheco on Sat Nov 20, 2004 6:17 am

VoodooChile in Wonderland wrote:This is Mick Jagger and Keith Richards as conceived and painted by Grace Slick

I like that painting, thanks for posting that 8)
The coloring is great on this one, will look good in any living room imho.
With a bit of luck some more paintings from that exhibition apear on the net.
Whenheco

Postby Pooneil on Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:14 am

Thanks for the article. :)

some other paintings I enjoy...
The Mad Tea Party Portfolio - Caterpillar (Iris Giclee on paper 11" x 14")

This one is my favorite of hers. I do wish I could find a better picture of it though.
White Rabbit in Wonderland (Giclee on canvas, 19" x 32")

Also an interesting portrait of Janis Joplin
Janis Wood Nymph (64 color serigraph 30" x 20")

and of Jerry Garcia
Jerry (Giclee on canvas, 26" x 21")

I found this place where you can see more.
Pooneil

Gracie's Artwork

Postby noelpne on Wed Apr 27, 2005 1:31 pm

Does anyone on here have details of the Artwork of Mr.Don VanVliet aka
Captain Beefheart ?
As fara I know he lives by himself in the Mohave Desert. I'm really
curious as to what he is getting up to these days. I beleive he has reputation as a really skillful artist.
noelpne

Return to Open Forums