Favourite JA album

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Postby grimlyformed on Fri Oct 01, 2004 9:05 am

After bathing at Baxters, Surrealistic Pillow, Crown of creation, Takes Off (pre Grace Slick !), Long John silver - in that order
grimlyformed

Postby Johannes on Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:06 am

Volunteers is my favorite album.
Favorite Bands:
Jefferson Airplane
The Doors
Nirvana
Alice In Chains
Jimi Hendrix
Johannes

Postby Anthem Of The Sun on Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:26 am

Baxters , pure classic start 2 finish
Anthem Of The Sun

Postby crown_of_creation on Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:35 pm

After Bathing At Baxter's
crown_of_creation

Re: Favourite JA album

Postby surrealistic mirror on Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:51 am

1)surrealistic pillow2)bless it pointed little head3)after bathing/volunteers/crown4)takes off
surrealistic mirror

Postby The Other Side on Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:27 pm

Always loved "Baxter". "Blows Against..." was a really special album, something of a twin to Crosby's "If Only I Could Remember My Name". Everthing really stands up well through Volunteers, or until "Bark", which was uneven. In my mind, Balin's departure did it. He was the guy that actually sprinkled the magic dust for the band. Harmonies were never the same. Never saw the Airplane live, but saw the first Starship show at the Chicago Auditorium in March of 1974, and twice more in the following twelve months. Last of the three, (Madison, Wi. April, 1975)Balin was back and there was a noticable difference.
"Go Ride the Music"
The Other Side

Postby Ma'alaea on Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:26 pm

Crowm of creation (in other, for the guitar wha-wha of Jorma)

1-Crowm of creation
2-After Bathing at Baxter's
3-Surrealistic pilow

but I regret not having had Fat Angel in studio version (Fat Angel is incredibly splendid 8)) I love this song :wink:
Ma'alaea

Favorite JA Album

Postby korkie on Fri Oct 08, 2004 3:38 pm

My fave JA album is "Volunteers"
korkie

Postby Michael on Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:56 am

1. Volunteers - I just love the revolutionary lyrics and the songs We can be together and Eskimo Blue Day rocks my socks. Also you gotta love the solo in Turn My Life Down.

2.Crown of Creation - My two favourite songs are in that album : If You Feel and Lather , Lather scares me...It's evil.

3.Surrealistic Pillow - Of coruse a great album but the reason it's at third is because , well it's just too poppy for me , I've gotta say that Embryonic Journey is an instrumental masterpiece though.
Michael

Postby Ma'alaea on Sun Oct 10, 2004 2:12 pm

Michael wrote:2.Crown of Creation - My two favourite songs are in that album : If You Feel

:P This is also my favourite song of this album, and also of all the albums of JA 8)
The wha-wha guitar and the feeling is splendid, I love this piece :wink:
Ma'alaea

Postby VoodooChile in Wonderland on Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:33 pm

Since the question is for just one album it will be "Bless it pointed little head" it rocks and shows how a JA gig was back then, this is better than 30 seconds

After bathing at Baxter's is my favourite studio album, also Volunteers and Bark
Well the airplane's done it
No... It wasn't the airplane it was beauty killed the beast
VoodooChile in Wonderland

hmmm...

Postby Pooneil on Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:07 pm

Such a tough decision. Let me think, I have a certain attachment to Worst of because it's the first album I ever heard of JA and I have to say it's probably one of the best "Best of" albums put together by any band. So, I guess my favorite is Worst of. Although, I really love Surrealistic Pillow, After Bathing at Baxter's, Takes Off, Crown of Creation, etc. All of their albums are just so damn good it's hard to decide on just one.
Pooneil

Favorite album

Postby ceangle13 on Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:33 pm

If I were to pick my favorite "best of" album it would be FLIGHT LOG-the anthology of the airplane, early Tuna and early Jefferson Starship. Although "Worst of" introduced me to the Airplane when I was just a mere 13! Tells you where my head is at now!
ceangle13

fav album

Postby Mr. Orange on Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:46 pm

definately:
After bathing at baxter's, that's the album that got me into them.
Volunteers
Surrealistic pillow
Crown of creation
I also like there live at the fillmore east, that album came out a few years ago.
Mr. Orange

Favorite JA albums

Postby Lather on Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:37 pm

It's so difficult to actually place them in some sort of favorite order, but I would say 1) BAXTER'S - It's the most freely experimental and trippiest, and was way ahead of it's time ( I first heard it while tripping on some very heavy acid, and have very fond memories of that time. Although, come to think of it, I did to all their albums at one time or another ,butthis one is the most fun) - I especially like TWO HEADS, REJOYCE, and WILD TIME; although what makes this the one is that the songs are arranged in a series of free-form suites which fit together perfectly. 2)VOLUNTEERS - The politics of this record reflect the times at the end of the sixties. There are some incredibly symphonic psychedelic songs on this one. ESKIMO BLUE DAY, HEY FREDRICK are probably the creme-de-la-creme, but I have to mention TURN MY LIFE DOWN, WOODEN SHIPS, VOLUNTEERS (What a call to action!), WE CAN BE TOGETHER. Hell, even the filler stuff-THE FARM, SONG FOR ALL SEASONS, MEADOWLANDS, is better than most of the tripe other bands at that time were producing. Give me Airplane tripe over any other bands best, anyday. GRACE'S singing is just superb, and the interplay between Jack , Jorma, and Paul was absolutely amazing and at many times, downrigt gorgeous. And that album cover! 3)CROWN OF CREATION- Again, picking and ranking favorites is hard. This album has incredible reverb whaa-whaa by JORMA, and incredible fuzz bass by JACK. The album cover is another great one- The airplane always integrated wonderful artwork into the mix as well as their awsome sound. CROWN OF CREATION, ICE CREAM PHEONIX , STAR TRACK are standouts, but again, this entire record is just over the top! 4) SURREALISTIC PILLOW - This is a classic, although it is much quieter and intrspective than their later work. Remember, this was quite revolutionary when it was released in 1967- around the same time THE BEATLES released SGT. PEPPER'S, they both had a mellow gentle, psychedelic feel to them. Altough I love and have ALL the records JEFFERSON AIRPLANE released , I think their strongest period was between 1967 and 1969. AND as far as live albums go, 1)BLESS IT'S POINTED LITTLE HEAD - This captures their energy at its best with versions of FAT ANGEL, BEAR MELT,ROCK ME BABY, THE OTHER SIDE OF THIS LIFE topping an album wher every song on it is great. It leaves you just wanting MORE! 2)THIRTY SECONDS OVER WINTERLAND - This is my favorite of the later Airplane, and it shows an incredibly tight and mature band at it's absolute pinnicle. HAVE YOU SEEN THE SAUCERS (yes I have, and it was awsome!), FEEL SO GOOD, TRIAL BY FIRE stand out on an album which is absolutely excellent, but so so short. ( I know more stuff was recorded at the time and maybe someday, if we areblessed, it will be released in an expanded version of THIRTY SECONDS.) Again, PEACE and LOVE to all the people out ther. Thanks for letting me share this with you.
Lather

PreviousNext

Return to Open Forums