Look at my little poster

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Look at my little poster

Postby briank on Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:07 pm

I'm going off to college in a few weeks and want to start a psychedelic blues rock band. So, I thought, after looking through all the cool posters from the 60s, and seeing someone else here try the same thing, I figured I'd make an "ad." So here it is. . .
BUT FIRST. . . I know, it's a small picture, but I think it gets the point across (I just looked at some of the pictures people posted here and noticed, "hey, Photo Bucket. . .") That's about as big as the picture will get. I drew it out on a notepad I had laying around, and it's a rough sketch, even though I took hours to draw it- I'll probably think of more band I forgot about. The bottom will be filled with contact info and "fine print" about what I look for in a musician (MUST be able to jam out and improvise, etc).
Any thoughts and comments, negative or positive, are very much appreciated.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b164/ ... oster2.jpg
So, what do you think?
briank

An idea or two...

Postby jimmie ray on Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:24 am

Brian,
Great groups you got listed on the poster - I didn't think anyone as young as you would be interested in all that music! It's cool to hear there are, but do you expect to have difficulty finding other musicians your age whose likings are similar?
As you say, the picture is small, so it's hard to tell - but I sort of see faces in the checkerboard part of it. Maybe it's just a random pattern, and you didn't intend that. But maybe that's just the effect you need to grab attention. The faces could be imbellished on, to look like the old time theatrical laughing/crying faces. Or the faces could resemble famous musicians that are easily recognizable - find some characteratures that exagerrate facial features for inspiration.
Just some thoughts that could be worked into what you have already...
Good luck!!!
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby briank on Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:46 am

Thanks for the advice, jimmie ray. If you can imagine a notepad (about 6"x10"), that's how big the real picture is; it's just that I couldn't make it any bigger on that website.
I figure, at a school with about 15,000 students, in Chicago, I should find a couple people who share my musical tastes. The problem should be finding someone with drums in their dorm room :? :roll: :lol: .
And I'm not a HUGE fan of some of those bands; for instance, I like what I hear from the Grateful Dead, but I'm not a deadhead. I figured that group alone, though, should pull in a whole group of people due to the Dead's popularity.
And as for the faces- I did not put any faces within those sketches. Sometimes I draw it out and people say they see things in it. It's cool (and trippy) that you think there is a hidden meaning, but I really had no intentions of putting anything hidden in there.
But I like the idea of the laughing/crying masks. . . I'll try to find some room to fit it inside the doodling. I'm trying to make it look like there's a bunch of info packed into a small space, and I tried to give each band name something characteristic to their music.
briank

Postby freakmeout on Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:10 am

If you think it's hard for a guy in college to find people who like those bands, I'm 14 years old and like all of them! Hardly anyone I know does.

Awesome poster, I'd like to see it in color and good luck starting up your band (wish I knew ya, I've been wanting to sing in a band like that for a long time now)
They are extremely uncomfortable with the idea that I am a teenage girl in the body of a 60 year old career criminal who has already died 16 times...
freakmeout

Now you're freaking me out...

Postby jimmie ray on Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:22 am

Unbelieveable - when I was 14, the group that I listened to was the "Banana Splits"...
ROCK ON, LITTLE DUDES!!!
It's good times now - I can see the light!
jimmie ray

Postby Whenheco on Fri Aug 05, 2005 10:06 am

It turned out to be pretty good. It reminds me of the first psychedelic posters (the early b/w posters).
It looks very much like some vintage posters like the ones here :
links

Hope it works out with getting a band together.
The Great! Society Really Doesn't Like You Much At All.
Whenheco

Postby briank on Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:50 pm

How do you think I should color it, though?
I've always just drawn black and white sketches- color was always hard.
I figure I could just draw alternating lines diagonally of different colors and see what the overall effect is. . .
What would be really awesome though, would be to find a bunch of like-minded musicians- a couple drummers, bassists, a buncha guitar players, a few keyboardists, maybe a sitar player :lol: :wink: , etc. and start a few bands. I think my school helps sponsor student concerts, so I could make some real, authentic posters advertising a real concert.
Ahhh, the possibilities. . .
I'll try to make some more drawings and maybe color the one I have already (I have too much time. . .) and post anything new up here. Anyways, thanks for the advice, everyone. Keep it coming!
briank

Cool!!!

Postby psychhead on Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:05 am

I like your poster!!! Congrats for the psych band!! A bit of sound advice tho: get as many chicks in as possible....all the others will com-a-runnin'!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) :lol: :lol:

Rob
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Return to Open Forums