Essential live psychedelic albums?

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Essential live psychedelic albums?

Postby briank on Sun Jul 24, 2005 3:44 pm

I'm a big fan of listening to live albums because I then know that the band isn't using hired-gun session players, like what sometimes happens with studio albums.
I only own two live albums from the 60s. "Happy Trails" from Quicksilver Messenger Service, which is unbelievably good (even if there is some "live" studio work) and "Stockholm '67" from the Electric Prunes, which is strange- at the Barnes and Noble website, they say this album is "maybe the best live album from the psychedelic era." I think that's wrong- it's a cool album, but it sounds more punk then trippy, even if there is some cool psychedelic music underneath all the fuzz.
I know there's a few Airplane live CDs, but I don't know which to look at, so the live version of "The Ballad of You and Me and Pooneil" on my "After Bathing at Baxter's" CD is all the live Airplane I have.
What are some other great/important live albums from the 60s? Help is always appreciated 8) .
briank

Postby Box Of Rain on Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:33 pm

Well, I can't say they're all psychedelic but...

If you want Live Airplane, I honestly think your best bet is either bootlegs or the rare "Live at the Monterey Pop Festival". Pointed Head is pretty awesome and so is Fillmore East, but I think Monterey is the most accessible.

The Who's "Live at Leeds" is pretty much universally worshipped. I wouldn't recommend it to introduce you to the band, but it's still good playing all the way through. Ditto for the Stones "Get Yer Ya-Ya's" out.

Bob Dylan's Royal albert hall concert (from the bootleg series) is a little messy on the sound, but all in all is a pretty interesting performance.

Hope this helps.
"War's good business, so give your sons
But I'd rather have my country die for me" ~ Grace Slick, Rejoyce 1967
Box Of Rain

Postby briank on Sun Jul 24, 2005 6:44 pm

I have the Who's "Live at Leeds"- very heavy, you can really feel how powerful they were. I'm gonna have to listen to Led Zeppelin's "How the West was Won" live album and see who is heavier. . .
I'm not familiar with bootlegs- do you mean just look and try to download shows online?
And, yes, I was talking more along the lines of psychedelic music. . . 8)
briank

Postby JPPMcStepBBlues on Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:09 am

Live/Dead ~ The Grateful Dead
Cheap Thrills ~ Big Brother and the Holding Company (most of it is live)
Band of Gypsies ~ Jimi Hendrix
Wheels of Fire ~ Cream (the second record is live)
Conspicuous Only In It's Absence ~ The Great Society
Live May 11, 1968 ~ HP Lovecraft (sundazed just recently released this)
Early Steppenwolf (Live at the Matrix 1967) ~ Steppenwolf
If you were a cloud and you sailed up there,
You sail on water as blue as air;
You'd see me here in the fields and say,
"Doesn't the sky look green today?"
JPPMcStepBBlues

No Quarter...

Postby jimmie ray on Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:35 am

Does the Led Zep's "How the West was Won" have the song "No Quarter" on it? The version of that song on "Song Remains the Same" is unbelieveable, but it's a tough overall live album to recommend.
jimmie ray

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt on Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:46 pm

Iron Butterfly has a newly remastered cd of the Inna-Gadda-Da-Vidda album. Its awsome plus its got a killer liver vesion of the title song previously unrealsed. Aside from Woodstock 1 and 2, id also buy Joplin in Concert also by Janis Joplin.
Shadow_of_A_Doubt

Postby Peds on Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:49 am

if you are into your dylan, i heartily suggest 1964 or Before the Flood - both are cracking albums.
Peds

Postby Whenheco on Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:39 pm

Velvet Underground - Live vol.1&2
Big Brother & the Holding Co. (feat Janis) - Live at Winterland
Cream - Live Cream vol.1&2
Quicksilver Messenger Service - Happy Trails
The Doors - In Concert
Jefferson Airplane - Bless its pointed little head
Jimi Hendrix - Live at the Royal Albert Hall
The Great! Society Really Doesn't Like You Much At All.
Whenheco

Postby Steve on Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:26 am

Live Dead
Pointed Little Head
Umma Gumma Pink Floyd
The Great Deceiver King Crimson
Live In Tokyo 1975 Strawbs
Steve

Postby briank on Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:11 am

Iron Butterfly has a newly remastered cd of the Inna-Gadda-Da-Vidda album. Its awsome plus its got a killer liver vesion of the title song previously unrealsed.

I actually bought that a few weeks ago. The title track is great, and it's funny to have a 5-minute radio version of the song, but the live version is suspect; the liner notes say that, live, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vidda could run from 20 minutes to an hour, and that the track they chose was edited down. It's cool, but you can really hear the cuts where the track was edited down to about 20 minutes.
Boy, though, I would LOVE to hear an hour-long jam of that song :shock: . Can anybody help with that? :wink:
jimmie ray, that Zeppelin live set does not have "No Quarter;" for the most part, that set is full of long jams of the more "popular" Zeppelin songs.
I think I wanna get that Pink Floyd CD "Umma Gumma," if only (so far) because of the beautiful folk acoustic song on it (whose name I can't remember now).
Some of you are leaning towards "Bless its Pointed Little Head" for the Airplane; what about their other live album?
briank

Postby Steve on Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:31 am

The Floyd song you're thinking of is Grandchester Meadows.
Steve

Return to Open Forums