Meaning of "Quah"

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Meaning of "Quah"

Postby jimmie ray on Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:28 am

O.K., I've read through alot of topics here, and appreciate the information and enthusiasm contained within, but didn't see anything regarding Jorma's solo record "Quah"...
So I'll inquire - where does "Quah" come from - is it Indian in origin?
My niece says her nickname is "Quah", but won't say how she got it - I pray it's not a perverted phrase!!!!!!
jimmie ray

Postby gTarFreak on Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:06 am

According to Jeff Tamarkin's book, Jorma attributes it to the sound that Micky Hart made when splitting boards at a karate class...

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

That's bizarre...

Postby jimmie ray on Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:34 am

Thanks again, Dave
I would have figured it had a much deeper meaning, like "He who stands upon the cliffs of the sea, with arms outstretched to the sun". Or at least name it after Bruce Lee's famous "Hoooo-wop!" noises when he got real pissed and whipped out those nan-chucks?
Guess I'll just continue to say "no idea, just listen" when people ask what the album title means. After all, why interrupt "Genesis"?
jimmie ray

Postby MARK on Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:37 am

No sorry, Dave is right.
Jorma tells the story that he was driving in his roadster (I assume the same vehicle as on the cover of Burgers) and passed a dojo in S.F. where Hart was taking martial art classes. He saw Hart make a move and imagined the sound it made was "quah." "Hey," Jorma says, "wadda ya want, it was the early 70s."

Take care, - Mark
MARK

Return to Open Forums