What's a good Hot Tuna CD to pick up?

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

What's a good Hot Tuna CD to pick up?

Postby briank on Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:31 pm

I really like the guitar work between Jorma and Jack. I've heard some of the Hot Tuna albums are acoustic blues, but I'd rather hear the trippy electric blues more akin to Jefferson Airplane's music. Anyone have any recomendations?
briank

Electric Hot Tuna

Postby Stagfife on Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:51 pm

I would suggest the albums "Phosphuorescent Rat" and "Burgers". Another good one is the solo album by Jorma Kaukonen entitled "Jorma".
Stagfife

Hot Tuna recommendations

Postby jimmy ray on Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:00 am

I wish I would hear that question more often - but it seems 99.99% of people out there just don't know or care about this group. I wonder on a daily basis why they don't get radio play? Anyway, I like "Hoppkorv" for it's powerful electric songs - the 2nd side, in particular. "Double Dose" is awesome live from the mid 70's, and has alot of the same songs. It might be hard to find on CD, and I heard the song " Killing Time in the Crystal City" is only on the vinyl version? If "Phospherescent Rat" has other songs as good as "Easy Now" on it, then that's a winner, too! "Burgers" is a little more country, with a heavy dose of fiddle from Papa John Creach - I don't always get a good reaction from first time listeners when I put this on (maybe I play it too loud?). If you do like P.J.C., then check out " First Pull Up, then Down". Enjoy!
jimmy ray

Postby Steve on Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:01 am

"America's Choice" would be my choice for wild electric Tuna.
Steve

Good choice, too!

Postby jimmie ray on Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:23 am

Yes - "America's Choice", too!
I guess that record must have been some thief's choice, also - since it has been missing from my collection for quite some time!
It had "Serpent of Dreams", "Walkin' Blues", and "Hit Single #1" (was it ever?) on it, but I can't recall the other songs?
They were selling T-shirts at the last concert with the detergent box logo on the front - very cool!
There were funny exclaimers on it (the album cover), like "Warning: Must be played at Maximum Volume for satisfactory effect"!
jimmie ray

Postby Steve on Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:04 pm

Others on America's Choice include Funky #7, Sleep Song & Invitation, which back in the time of the album was usually the last song before their encores, and was oftened jammed out for 20 minutes.
Steve

Talkin' bout CDs...

Postby jimmie ray on Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:11 am

Funky #7 - they jammed that one out before the encore (Water Song) at the recent show - Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!!!!!!!
So - I am wearing out my latest "Double Dose" record (found at a garage sale, hidden inside a record cover that said "Greatest Hits of the 70's") and have been trying to find the CD version. I understand that the CD is not currently offered anywhere (stores or internet), other than maybe E-bay (never been there)?
Can anyone here help out with my getting a used copy or burn it if you got it? I'm on Long Island, New York. Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to make this type of request, but I am getting desperate!
Thanks in advance!!!
jimmie ray

Postby gTarFreak on Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:06 am

jimmy ray,

Email, or PM me. I've got it on vinyl and have been meaning to transfer it to CD.

Cheers,
Dave
gTarFreak

A blessed day, indeed...

Postby jimmie ray on Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:47 am

Dave,
Thank you so much - I have just E-mailed you.
Have a beautiful weekend, and yes - CHEERS to you, too!!!!!
jimmie ray

Postby briank on Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:02 pm

That is a lot of different advice- I guess I'll just go and see what I can find, first. Most of the time I can't find the music I'm looking for. :roll: Thanks for the help, guys!
briank

Return to Open Forums