Chet Helms Tribute Concert in San Francisco on 7-29-05

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Chet Helms Tribute Concert in San Francisco on 7-29-05

Postby John B. Krug on Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:20 pm

Hi: There will be a benefit tribute concert in memory of Chet Helms at the Great American Music Hall in SF on Friday July 29, 2005. The proceeds are going to the Helms family. The concert will be MC'd by Wavy Gravy. Among those playing: Bob Weir and Mickey Hart from the Dead, Country Joe McDonald, Big Brother and the Holding Co., Pete Sears, Joli Valenti (son of Dino V. of Quicksilver Messenger Service) and friends, etc. More details by browsing to the Great American Music Hall website....Best Regards! John B. Krug
John B. Krug

Postby Shadow_of_A_Doubt on Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:21 pm

I wondered why this wasnt scheduled at the Avalon Ballroom so I called the number listed at the venues website. It turns out The Avalon folded recently since the neighbors complained the music was too loud. The city of SF pulled its permit and now the building is run by a graphics company. The address 1268 Sutter St is still there but the history and music is gone forever.
Shadow_of_A_Doubt

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:14 am

Hi:
.....Thanks for that bit of news from San Francisco. I had been wondering what was up with the Avalon lately.
About two or three years ago, I saw Jefferson Starship at the Avalon....It was my first and apparently only time I was in the place. It was comparable to the Fillmore (also in SF). Lots of space for a good sized crowd. As I recall, the JS show was only about a third full. Refreshments were sparce, and although I can do without it myself, alcohol was not on sale either...
I think it's sad that it takes a death of an originator or artist that created the 60's San Francisco sound to get a concert of the stuff in SF these days. Coming up besides next Friday's Chet Fest though, there will be a concert with local bands to celebrate Jerry Garcia's life on August 12th in McLaren Park, adjacent to JG's childhood SF neighborhood. Details at http://www.jerryday.org. There is an effort to rename the amphlitheatre (sp) there after JG. Otherwise, there has been discussion of a another concert to honor Chet Helms later on this year in Golden Gate Park...I think this would be good, too...Best Regards! JBK

Postby Guest on Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:19 am

Hi: Oops, my mistake....Jerry Day in SF will be on August 7th, not the 12th...(Hand slapping forehead)....:)! John B. Krug

Postby Guest on Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:32 am

Hi: Another oops.... In my post of 7-14-05, I listed Pete Sears as one of those who will be performing at this Friday's Chet Fest in SF...Well, while it easily still could happen, his name is really not in the announcements I've seen. Perhaps, I was overcome with enthusiasm. I apologise.
In any case, that's still some line up. donchathink? A full report to follow here and elsewhere....Best Regards! John B. Krug

Return to Open Forums