Live 8

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Live 8

Postby zeke on Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:17 pm

2 July 2005
London - Hyde Park

Pink Floyd (Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Rick Wright) is back!I'd die to be in London.they are back after 11 years!but why in London :( is there anybody from London here?
zeke

Postby Whenheco on Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:42 am

Are the tickets the same price as the Cream reunion?
The show(s) will probably be available on the internet very shortly after the show is finished, don't have to go to London for that :wink:
The Great! Society Really Doesn't Like You Much At All.
Whenheco

Postby zeke on Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:37 am

tickets are free.it will be live on tv but breathing the air is different!
zeke

Postby baronvonjack on Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:24 am

you cant breath the air in london folks :lol:
plus it was a choice between the spice girls or the floyd
reforming
i think we all agree floyd is by far the better choice.
cant make it to london on saturday so will watch the gig from the comfort of my sofa with a gin and tonic in one hand and a fat spliff in the other :mrgreen:
hurry up sleep take me
else i'll be late for tea
Baronvon jack
baronvonjack

Postby Mekstat1 on Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:58 pm

The Spice Girls are pretty good though... lol :lol: I cant wait to see PInk Floyd
Mekstat1

Postby Mekstat1 on Fri Jul 01, 2005 3:00 pm

I heard That PInk FLoyd's gonna play Money, Wish You Were Here, and some other song i forgot... Hurmm... thats gonna bother me now...
Mekstat1

Postby zeke on Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:32 am

the other song is "comfortably numb".and the final song will be "long and winding road" /paul mccarntey
zeke

Postby Guest on Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:58 am

if you guys dont know yet
THE WHO are also on the bill :P
i am looking forward to that
and in the states the kasier cheifs are playing at the phily gig
very cool uk band

so come on boys and girls lets beat poverty :D

Postby baronvonjack on Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:01 am

opps that was me above
forgot to log :shock:
hurry up sleep take me
else i'll be late for tea
Baronvon jack
baronvonjack

Postby briank on Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:55 am

Of course, Pink Floyd won't be doing any Syd Barret songs. :roll: :?
briank

Postby zeke on Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:35 am

the who was fantastic.they were the best in all the organisation.madonna was also very good.I as amazed for 11 hours.I couldn't even move.bon jovi,elton john,dido,stevie wonder,u2,duran duran,robbie williams and paul mccarntey!! and bob geldof.. they weere all good.I wish they showed deep purple and chris de burgh in the global feed.I'll have to wait untill they relase the dvd.

and pink floyd of course, well I don't know what to say!
wish I was there
zeke

Postby psychhead on Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:07 am

Look what the cat dragged in:

Saturday, July 2, 2005

Most of the world can hear Live 8, but will G-8 listen?
Bob Geldof leads musical effort to lift Africa out of poverty

By COLLEEN LONG
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Nearly everyone in the world can tune in Saturday to Live 8, the all-star concerts urging a political solution to African poverty.

"We want to stand shoulder to shoulder, to push to get countries to listen," said Live 8 worldwide producer Harvey Goldsmith. "These concerts are the mouthpieces of the public."

Goldsmith has been working round the clock to put it together, and Live 8 has grown to 10 shows around the world -- London, Paris, Rome, Berlin, Moscow, Johannesburg, Tokyo, Philadelphia and Toronto, with a related all-African concert in southwest England.

Upwards of a million people will attend, and organizers say 85 percent of the world's population will have access to a TV, radio or Internet broadcast of the day's events.

The concerts come four days before leaders of the world's richest nations meet in Gleneagles, Scotland, for a Group of Eight summit -- and 20 years after the twin Live Aid shows in London and Philadelphia.

Live Aid was about raising money for victims of famine in Africa. Live 8, Geldof has said, is about raising awareness.

He wants G-8 leaders to double aid, cancel debt and rework trade laws to lift African nations out of poverty.

On MTV yesterday, Geldof and British Prime Minister Tony Blair answered questions from an audience of young people from 24 nations about the summit.

"He's going to go to a five-star hotel on a golf course and say to seven other guys, 'I come with the largest democratic mandate ever collected in the history of this planet to do this.' They can refuse or they can accept," said Geldof, the 53-year-old former leader of Irish punk group the Boomtown Rats.Whatever the summit outcome, Geldof said Blair had already won his admiration.

"I think it's fair that he can walk out and say, 'I tried and they refused.' I back him up because I know the process of how hard he's been trying. He didn't have to do this."

Blair, 52, told the MTV studio audience that concern for developing countries was partly what drew him into politics.

"Thirty years ago I was the age of most people who are here. Thirty years later I'm in a position to do something about it, so I think I should," he said.

Blair said he was optimistic that an agreement on Africa could be reached.

"We're going to try. If you don't try, you don't succeed. The European Union has already agreed to double aid, and that gets us quite a long way. ... The American president has said he wants to double aid to Africa. Japan and Canada have now indicated that they will increase their aid."

But he said African governments needed to help make the deal work. While the international communities could provide direct aid to people suffering from diseases such as AIDS, malaria and tuberculosis, only African governments prepared to obey rules of democracy, human rights and respect for the rule of law would benefit from aid, he said.

More than 50 acts are scheduled to perform -- a mixture of "the biggest acts in the world, the best acts in the world and the newest acts in the world," Goldsmith said.

Some, like U2, Crosby, Stills & Nash, and Elton John were part of 1985's Live Aid. The "new" acts include Alicia Keys, Will Smith and Destiny's Child.

Keys, who's performing in Philadelphia, said she signed on because the concerts can serve as a forum to show "here's how we can make a difference and here's how we can get involved."

Beyoncé Knowles of Destiny's Child said: "When you have the attention of so many people you have to take advantage of it and do something positive with it."

Venues include London's Hyde Park, a location near the Brandenburg Gate in Berlin, Rome's Circus Maximus and along Philadelphia's Benjamin Franklin Parkway at the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

Musicians are donating their services, and other costs will be met by corporate sponsors. The concerts are free and tickets are long gone.

In London, Mariah Carey, Coldplay, Dido, Keane, John, Annie Lennox, Madonna, Muse, the Scissor Sisters, Paul McCartney, Joss Stone, Stereophonics, Sting, Snoop Dogg, Robbie Williams, U2 and R.E.M. are slated to perform.

Philadelphia acts include the Dave Matthews Band, Bon Jovi, Stevie Wonder, P. Diddy and Jay-Z.

Among artists scheduled for Berlin: a-ha, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Lauryn Hill and Brian Wilson.

The concert in Rome will feature musicians including Faith Hill and Duran Duran.

In Paris, Jamiroquai, Craig David, Youssou N'Dour and Yannick Noah will be among those taking part.

Geldof said people would be encouraged after the concerts to head to Edinburgh, where he expects a million people to gather for a mass protest as the G-8 leaders meet nearby.

Some anti-poverty activists already arrived in Edinburgh yesterday after a journey through Africa. The ActionAid bus, which left Johannesburg in South Africa, traveled through Mozambique, Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya and Uganda before boarding a ship to Marseilles, France.

Ivy Maina, one of five ActionAid members on the journey, said they had spoken with Africans along the way and brought messages for the G-8 leaders.

"The main message is that people want their basic needs," said Maina of Nairobi, Kenya, after the bus ended its journey at the base of Edinburgh Castle. "They want food, access to clean water, basic health care services and access to markets for their farm produce," she said.

Maina said many of the African villagers and farmers she met were skeptical of the international community's promises of help, though.

"Africa has been discussed many a time, and a lot of hopes have been destroyed," she said. "A lot of them are reserved about the G-8 agenda."
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby Mekstat1 on Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:32 pm

Of course, Pink Floyd won't be doing any Syd Barret songs.

you cant do a Syd Barrett song without Syd Barrett--- Ide be mad if they did
Mekstat1

Return to Open Forums