The Doors Are Back?!

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Postby ceangle13 on Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:17 pm

Anonymous wrote:
Cozmosis wrote:Actually, the show isn't that bad. Th setlist is supposed to be comprised of what the LA Woman setlist would have been had there been a tour....and besides, if you're all gonna say something about The Doors w/o Morrison, then you also have to say the same about....hmmm, let's see.....Jefferson Starship, Creedence Clearwater Revisited, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Allman Brothers Band....need I go on????
alright so lets say something about that.... I agree with you entirely, it is very hard to see legendary rock icons still trying to go at it after 30 years even after more than half of the band has been kicked out or died. The bands become more of a high priced cover band than remnants of the original version who still want to perform on stage. I stopped seeing The Allmans' once I heard Dickey was kicked out, I have no interest in seeing lynyrd skynyrd after half of the band died! John Fogerty needs to drop the ego-so I won't see him and last but not least... Jefferson Starship who I have seen and did enjoy except for one thing...I don't want to hear anybody other than Grace sing Graces' songs. But the one thing about Jeff Starship is it has always been a collaborative effort with various Bay area musicians contributing in music or voice or songwriting, so Jefferson Starship is just continuing what it started and picking up and dropping off different artists all the time. Now for Ray Manzarek, like I said before stop riding on the coattails of a Rock Legend and sex god and get your own gig by now. What did he do musically in the 70's, 80's and 90's after Jim died? Sounds to me he needs the money and Classic rock revival shows are always a big hit with the crowds. If The Doors had a different lead singer back in the 60's, they probably wouldn't have had the popularity or notoriety that they have achieved with Jim as writer and lead singer. Jim Morrison IS the Doors!!!!!!
I didn't log in....so this was me!
ceangle13

Postby ceangle13 on Sun Jun 26, 2005 3:19 pm

Whenheco wrote:The doors (or 50% of them) are touring for several years now under the name "The Doors of the 21th century".
That's Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger and they got Cult singer Ian Astbury on vocals (don't know the name of the drummer, but the original Doors drummer didn't want to join them).
They have a live dvd out now called LA Woman live.
john densmore is the only one with any sense
ceangle13

Postby Cozmosis on Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:13 am

...TO answer your question, in the '70's, '80's, and '90's, Ray Manzarek dissected the music and mythology of The Doors to the Nth degree...which the other members of the band and their management were guilty of also, he wrote a book, Densmore wrote a book---incidently which was a big source of a Mr. Oliver Stone's information to produce a film about The Doors----and then decided, much like Paul Kantner, Marty Balin, and members of other so-called "classic" bands, to keep the music alive thru touring....although I freely admit most seem like they're in it for the money, but...c'mon, let's be real here....there isn't one of us who wouldn't take a decent paycheck for a gig, even if it IS by singing songs that you helped to write 35-40 years ago....HELL, the Motown and soul bands have been doing this shit for years, it just took RnR awhile to catch up to that trend....
Cozmosis

Postby Whenheco on Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:22 am

Not a musician myself, but i can imagine it must be hard just to stop playing gigs after a certain time after having such huge popularity.
Gotta miss the attention and applause.
John Densmore is currently busy with his own band called Tribal Jazz, so he is far from retirement also.
The Great! Society Really Doesn't Like You Much At All.
Whenheco

Postby Liquid Crystal on Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:59 pm

Besides bringing back a new version of The Doors without Morrison, let's not forget that Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore also kept going as The Doors in the 70's, recording and releasing two more albums without Jim after his death. I still have a 45 single of "Tightrope Ride" from that era.

-=LC=-
Liquid Crystal

Postby psychhead on Sun Jul 03, 2005 5:29 am

8) I was just wondering...........how did the Doors get to Ian Astbury? They must've auditioned singers like hell before they chose Ian. Don't get me wrong, I like Ian A. since the Cult days...great singer!!! Does anyone know who the other candidates (apart from C.L.!) were??!!

Rob :?:
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby BlackCladLizard on Mon Jul 04, 2005 3:05 pm

No. Ian was the one that was available at the moment. Too bad Stewart C. pulled out of the tour he was way better that the drummer they got now. I was lucky to see them with him right when the doors started to tour again. I saw them twice.
BlackCladLizard

Postby psychhead on Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:12 am

:D Right on!!! You are lucky to have seen them twice!! So what's the definite line-up?? :?: :D :evil:

Rob :D 8)
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby Mekstat1 on Wed Jul 06, 2005 12:47 pm

wo... Hahaha... Adam Ant did a version of Hello, I Love you.... poor guy.
Mekstat1

Postby Scoring on Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:58 am

you guys have said too much about nothing.....jim, of course, was a big part of the doors.. the same as manzarek, krigger..and even densmore. The Doors ,as many as jim written poems say ,were his family. They all were ONE BIG THING.

Now, Manzarek has one purpose of life: is making music.. he was the musician of the doors, the brain. So still preforming under The Doors name, without jim, is like a ritual. Is a form to carry jim's spirit through all generation. To not let him die in the forsaken's world...like many other artist of the past, like the band Love..
"Breakfast where the news is read
Television children fed
Bullet strikes the helmet's head
And, it's all over
The war is over"

Unkown Soldier, The Doors
Scoring

Postby Whenheco on Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:32 am

Arthur Lee and his reformed band Love still give off a great performance. Have seen some video's and heard various recent live recordings, but to bad they mainly play LA and London.
The 3 remaining doors have made an dvd some time ago, with them playing, and various singers doing 1 or 2 songs.
Ian did some songs as well as Scott Weiland, Scott Stapp and some other singers. The DVD is called VH-1 Storytellers, and although i prefer Jim's vocals, some did do pretty good.
The Great! Society Really Doesn't Like You Much At All.
Whenheco

Re: The Doors Are Back?!

Postby italsem on Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:48 am

Hi all,

As a big Doors fan i finnaly had the change to see Ray and Robbie last year in the Netherlands.
The show was really really really fantastic and one of my best.
Ray and Robbie still Kick.... after all those years and do what they do best..Making fantastic music.
Ian glastonburry Is not a replacement of Jim and does not try to be Jim at all.
He gives his interpurtation of the Doors wich i thought is really great.
Offcourse some pll say without Jim there is no Doors but i`m not a fan of the Doors because of Jim ;)

It is Just a fantastic wonderfull show but that is my interperation.
Just go and see them when they are playing...

greetings,

Menno
Amsterdam/the Netherlands
italsem

Postby ceangle13 on Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:46 am

DID ANYBODY NOTICE THAT RAY MANZAREK WAS SUED BY JOHN DENSMORE? DID ANYBODY NOTICE THAT JOHN DENSMORE WON? THE LAWSUIT STATED THAT NO ONE UNLESS THE 3 REMAINING MEMBERS OF THE DOORS WERE PERMITTED TO TOUR OR RECORD UNDER THE BAND NAMED "THE DOORS" ALSO, NO ONE IS PERMITTED TO PERFORM JIM MORRISONS SONGS WHILE TAKING ON A LIKENESS OR IMITATING MORRISON WHILE PERFORMING WITH THE REMAINING MEMBERS. JOHN DENSMORE IS CORRECT IN UPHOLDING THE OATH THE ORIGINAL 4 MEMBERS AGREED UPON. RAY MANZAREK ALSO OWES MONEY HE EARNED WHILE TOURING WITH THE NEW VERSION OF THE DOORS TO MORRISONS FAMILY AND TO JOHN DENSMORE, SINCE PART OF THE OATH WAS THAT ROYALTIES AND MONIES WERE DIVIDED EVENLY BETWEEN THE FOUR ORIGINAL MEMBERS-DURING LIFE AND DEATH (MORRISONS PARENTS ARE THE BENEFACTORS OF HIS ESTATE-RIGHT OR WRONG THESE ARE THE FACTS). SO WHAT DO YOU THINK MANZAREK IS GOING TO DO NOW? :?:
ceangle13

Postby MigztheHippy on Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:16 am

ceangle13 wrote:
Mekstat1 wrote:Courtney Love?! thats stupied!! everyone hates her! ---i have never met a person who says I love courtney love... she pretty much killed Kurt and she stole the music rights from Nirvana that should of went to the Band!

:arrow: Well to be a little off topic***
a kid in my school said that she dosnt like Jimi Hendrix because he "stole the music from some guy" i laughed and said the KKK started that :roll: .. but she was serious <just tell me thats not true just so i dont have to have the same argument over and over --I have no idea where the hell she heard that
Do yourself a favor and stop reading Rolling Stone magazine-That magazine hasn't printed a decent article in 25 years! Aren't you tired of smelling cheap cologne samples?

ceanle13.....hahaha
MigztheHippy

Previous

Return to Open Forums