Greasy Heart/Eskimo Blue Day

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Greasy Heart/Eskimo Blue Day

Postby Box Of Rain on Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:04 am

Morning everybody,

Awhile ago Zog was nice enough to post the chords to a couple of tunes from After Bathing at Baxter's up on this site - and I... finally... can... play... REJOYCE ON PIANO!!! HAHAHAHAH! EAT THAT, MRS. SLICK, WITH ALL OF YOUR JAZZ ARRANGER'S METICULOUS INSANITY!!!

... ahem, pardon me.

Anyway, I don't suppose anyone knows anything of the chord changes to Greasy Heart or Eskimo Blue Day?
"War's good business, so give your sons
But I'd rather have my country die for me" ~ Grace Slick, Rejoyce 1967
Box Of Rain

Greasy Heart

Postby Zog on Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:59 pm

Greasy Heart is one of my favorite songs. I have a reasonable facsimile of the bass part, but I don't play guitar so I'm not entirely sure of the chords. But I think its basically like this....

Am (through the whole verse)

Chorus
Em Em D Am

Bridge
F G

Seems like the whole song is built on these three parts, but I'm probably missing some details. Let me know if you figure it out any better.

Can't help you with the other one.
Zog

Postby Box Of Rain on Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:09 pm

Thanks, Zog. You are, as always, a lifesaver. Just, by the way, could you specificy what you mean by the "bridge"? Is that the "Don't ever change people..." part, or is that the chorus?

Anyway, I'm gonna go sit down at the ol' piano and see if I can figure it out. Thanks a million!
Box Of Rain

Postby peds on Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:39 am

No-one knows the keyboard notes to "Meadowlands", the anthem of the Soviet Army that Grace Slick included on Volunteers, do they?
peds

Postby Zog on Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:59 am

The F and G are with the "don't ever change people" part.
Zog

Postby Box Of Rain on Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:28 am

Alright, that's what I figured. Again, thanks a million, Zog.

I couldn't say I know the melody for "meadowlands", but it's actually the Russian song, Polushko-Pole. You can find the chords here. There's an "H" which is pretty bizarre... I'm guessing it probably means A. Maybe it'll help.

http://www.dimitrij-kurzer.de/DKurzer/M ... -pole.html
Box Of Rain

Postby Guest on Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:16 am

Can't remember for sure, but in classical music an H chord is either a B or Bb depending on which country. Bb in German texts, but Russian might be B.

Postby Box Of Rain on Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:26 pm

Thanks for the correction. Hm... in that case, if that "hm" is coming after an Eminor, it's probably a Bminor. Seems natural, anyway.
Box Of Rain

Postby Zog on Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:57 am

I was just working on the bass part for Greasy Heart again. I made a mistake in my previous post on the chords. I think the main verse riff alternates Am and Dm, not just Am. The other chords are okay. Let me know if this makes more sense.
Zog

Postby Guest on Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:46 pm

Yeah, I was considering that. It actually makes perfect sense - on piano, you can play Dm straight out of Am just by shifting a couple fingers a step upward - it's called inversion or something. Other than that, I think the Em is an Em7 at some points (but that's nitpicking), but you were pretty much straight on.

The bridge also sounds nice if instead of just using F, G, you alternate between Fmaj7 and Gmaj6. But I don't know if that's very feasible on guitar - on piano you just slide a couple fingers closer together.

The song is shockingly simple for Grace. Don't most of her songs (except White Rabbit, of course) have like, a million and three chord changes?

Return to Open Forums