"Somebody To Love" in a commercial

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

"Somebody To Love" in a commercial

Postby Willard on Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:03 pm

Recently on TV there have been frequent appearance of CocaCola commercial to prompt their newly available Raspberry flavour in New Zealand. And guess what? 'Somebody to Love' is its soundtrack with an ill attempt to create a "hippie" and psychedelic atmosphere using uninspiring animations.

Now at school my friend heard the same track from Surrealistic Pillow and pointed out "Hey! It's the new CocaCola song" - Now a problem arises from this most (not all) people when hearing the song call it the CocaCola song and simply ignores the name Jefferson Airplane. Then relating back to the commercial and its awful visual themes.

Everytime I see the commercial I get really upset with misconception of JA and its insolent use of mainstream reform. Am I being too anal on this or what?
Willard

Postby Bloodshed Bob on Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:53 am

Ah well...

we had a few months ago a techno-remix of Somebody To Love in the top 10...

:roll:
Bloodshed Bob

Postby Box Of Rain on Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:47 am

And we had Volunteers used in a commercial for a stock-broker, or something like that.

Didn't piss me off quite as much as the techno. But close.
"War's good business, so give your sons
But I'd rather have my country die for me" ~ Grace Slick, Rejoyce 1967
Box Of Rain

Postby Willard on Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:11 pm

A techno remix? Man, I feel a lot better already.
Willard

Re: "Somebody To Love" in a commercial

Postby psychhead on Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:06 am

:!: :!: :roll: I know perfectly well what you're talking about man!!! I haven't seen that comm. you're talking about here, but I saw the one for Cinzano with Roky Ericksson's "You're gonna miss me" in it!!!! :shock:
With regards to "distorted minds", listen to this: once I was in my fave record store (80s) chatting away to my friend the owner and this dude came in and asked him for some Queen albums. The owner put "Killer Queen" tracks for him to listen to and the client went:" Yuk, what's this? I wanted the Queen...this is not Queen, this is shit!!!!! I wanna listen to "Radio Ga-Ga"...that's Queen!!" :roll: :roll: :?: :!: :twisted: Get the picture???! The owner looked at me in awe and we both had a great laugh later!!!!! Conclusion: some dudes are so ignorant when it comes to REAL music, record shop owners are too kind sometimes AND by jove, some bands like Queen, etc. want these things to happen!!!!! :twisted:
You be the judge!!!

Rob

Willard wrote:Recently on TV there have been frequent appearance of CocaCola commercial to prompt their newly available Raspberry flavour in New Zealand. And guess what? 'Somebody to Love' is its soundtrack with an ill attempt to create a "hippie" and psychedelic atmosphere using uninspiring animations.

Now at school my friend heard the same track from Surrealistic Pillow and pointed out "Hey! It's the new CocaCola song" - Now a problem arises from this most (not all) people when hearing the song call it the CocaCola song and simply ignores the name Jefferson Airplane. Then relating back to the commercial and its awful visual themes.

Everytime I see the commercial I get really upset with misconception of JA and its insolent use of mainstream reform. Am I being too anal on this or what?
Psychedelic music is IN with time!!
psychhead

Postby baronvonjack on Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:47 am

it makes me wonder if some of these advertisng guys know just how much it piss's fans off when they take a quality tune and stick it all over some junk product :evil:
else theirs some hippe dude just haveing a laugh and winding us all up.
thankfully Raspberry coke has yet to arrive in the uk and if it does i doubt
it will have somebody to love playing on the comm.
nah coke uk will just stick a kinks or small faces tune to piss us off with.
enjoy the music and dont bother with the products
mind you if glaxo smith kline did a headache pill with white rabbit playing through the comm
that would be fun :lol:
hurry up sleep take me
else i'll be late for tea
Baronvon jack
baronvonjack

Postby Bloodshed Bob on Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:57 am

I dont know if you have to blame the advertising guys. I think if you really want to blame somebody, you'll have to blame the one who holds the rights to that song.

I dont know who owns the back catalogue of Jefferson Airplane, but i thought it was the band itself (remember the JA teas discussion?).

Anyways, it's a long discussion: sell-out or making a living?

Don't forget it's for some bands a great opportunity to put themselves and their music back in the spotlight (f.e. 'Should i stay or should i go' from The Clash and 'These boots are made for walking' from Nancy Sinatra in the Levi's Jeans commercials 'relaunched' both their careers).
Bloodshed Bob

Return to Open Forums