Books about JA

Anything goes here folks... just keep it somewhat clean ;)

Books about JA

Postby Box Of Rain on Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:36 am

Anybody read Tamarkin's book, or either of the Grace biographies. Was wondering if any of 'em are any good. I'm particularly interested in hearing some of the stories behind the songs, particularly like Rejoyce or Share A little Joke.. Do any of them talk much about the origins of the tunes?
"War's good business, so give your sons
But I'd rather have my country die for me" ~ Grace Slick, Rejoyce 1967
Box Of Rain

Re: Books about JA

Postby ceangle13 on Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:10 pm

Box Of Rain wrote:Anybody read Tamarkin's book, or either of the Grace biographies. Was wondering if any of 'em are any good. I'm particularly interested in hearing some of the stories behind the songs, particularly like Rejoyce or Share A little Joke.. Do any of them talk much about the origins of the tunes?
I read Tarmarkins' book and graces' biography- definitely good reads! I don't think they get too involved with the stories behind too many of the songs except for the typical ones. I have always found Graces' point of view fascinating and hysterical, and I have always enjoyed reading stories about the group as a whole. I think I learned most of my knowledge on the airplane by just investigating old magazines, and interviews.
ceangle13

Postby Box Of Rain on Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:18 pm

I've always been interested in JA interviews, now that you mention it. Must not be a lot on the internet - I type in a search, but generally not many results come up - just stuff on Starship from like, the early eighties.
Box Of Rain

Postby ceangle13 on Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:48 pm

Box Of Rain wrote:I've always been interested in JA interviews, now that you mention it. Must not be a lot on the internet - I type in a search, but generally not many results come up - just stuff on Starship from like, the early eighties.
If you can get your hands on some old Rolling Stone Magazines they are actually quite informative (Not like todays Rolling Stone) Books chronicling the History of Rock and roll and the psychedelic sound that can be found in libraries (usually are pretty old as well) are things to check out. My experience is also with European books about music they seem to get a little more in depth.
ceangle13

Postby Box Of Rain on Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:58 pm

Thanks, Ceangle, I'll definitely keep that in mind.
Box Of Rain

Postby RememberWhat theDarmaSays on Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:43 pm

I have read Got a Revolution! : The Turbulent Flight of Jefferson Airplane and Somebody to Love. Got a Revolution!... goes into more details about the whole band and all of its changes including Hot Tuna, etc. It does talk about how they came up with the ideas for many, many of their songs. I looked up "Rejoyce" and "Share a Little Joke" in the book, and there are several pages on their origins in the book. I think it is an incredibly interesting read. It is the best book on JA I have read.

Somebody to Love mainly deals with Grace's life from birth until recent. She talks about everything, but if it is soully music info you are looking for this might not be the place to look. Nevertheless, it is a very candid look at Grace, just as Grace is. It is an open book.

I have the copy of the Life magazine from 1968 with JA on the cover. It has great pictures, but nothing revolutionary is said in the band's interview inside.

Summer of Love by Joel Selpin is a great read, but it isn't just about Jefferson Airplane. It is about the important bands of the time, especially the San Francisco based bands. It has many, many pages on the Airplane. I would recommend it, if you are interested in the music of that time and the area.

I hope this helps. :D
~Remember What the Dormouse Says, Feed Your Head! Feed Your Head!~
RememberWhat theDarmaSays

Postby Box Of Rain on Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:01 am

Certainly does help, Darma. Like your handle - I thought I was the only one that misheard Dormouse as Dharma. I was looking thru all these buddhist and Hindu texts for like, a month trying to find the part that says "feed your head". Of course, this is the same woman who had people thinking she was singing "mind full of bread".

I ordered both Gracie's autobio and Got a Revolution off amazon. Damn shame they're not coming til like, the end of July. Damn slow shipping!
Box Of Rain

Postby RememberWhat theDarmaSays on Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:53 am

I'm glad that I could help. Yep, I didn't know if everyone would get the joke or not. Otherwise, they may not take me as a serious, knowledgeable fan. Everyone on here may think I believe that is what she is saying. I originally thought that was what she was saying when I first heard the song and even for awhile after that. Then, I read the lyrics in print somewhere, and then I knew I was wrong. :oops: I just thought my screen name should be from my first memories of the band, and this came to me. I hope it wasn't a mistake. :wink:

Postby Whenheco on Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:29 am

RememberWhat theDarmaSays wrote:I'm glad that I could help. Yep, I didn't know if everyone would get the joke or not. Otherwise, they may not take me as a serious, knowledgeable fan. Everyone on here may think I believe that is what she is saying. I originally thought that was what she was saying when I first heard the song and even for awhile after that. Then, I read the lyrics in print somewhere, and then I knew I was wrong. :oops: I just thought my screen name should be from my first memories of the band, and this came to me. I hope it wasn't a mistake. :wink:

Well when i was about 8 years old and heard white rabit for the first time, i didn't know what she was saying either. Dormouse isn't exactly an common word in Dutch :lol:
Finaly gotten around in buying Got a revolution. Just started, but it looks good so far 8) Not much of an reader myselve so it could take a while to finish it :oops:
The Great! Society Really Doesn't Like You Much At All.
Whenheco

Postby RememberWhat theDarmaSays on Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:38 am

Whenheco wrote:Finaly gotten around in buying Got a revolution. Just started, but it looks good so far 8) Not much of an reader myselve so it could take a while to finish it :oops:

Like I said in one of my above posts, I think that Got A Revolution.... is the best book on the JA, in my opinion. I think you will really enjoy it. I know I did.

Postby liltawen on Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:54 pm

There are also a autobiography by Marty and 'Don't you want somebody to love'by Darby Slick.I like Selwin's 'Summer of Love'book alot.He has a very entertaining style of writing.He also has a book on Monteray Pop.
liltawen

Postby Don Rico on Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:49 am

Some years ago I found (and subsequently lost) a very groovy paperback. I found it in the Music/ Entertainment section of Half-Price Books, which is a great chain of used-books and -records stores in Texas.

The book was from 1969 and was called "JEFFERSON AIRPLANE AND THE SAN FRANCISCO SOUND", if I recall correctly. It was written by the great Ralph J. Gleason.

Let me tell you, brothers and sisters, this little old paperback was THE SHIT!!!

Of course it was all about JA, but it also had individual chapters about THE GRATEFUL DEAD, QUICKSILVER MESSENGER SERVICE, COUNTRY JOE & THE FISH, THE CHARLATANS and several others. It even had a really cool section of black-and-white photos.

Mostly though, it just had a ton of information about our favorite band, replete with fantastic interviews with each member, and with a wealth of rare information.

Obviously, this little gem is long out-of-print, but if you check out a good used bookstore, or maybe E-Bay, you could stumble across it and find that is really a fantastic tome of goodies.

Tha don says "Check it Out!"
Don Rico

Return to Open Forums